Marvel's Spider-Man Review Thread

Ghost

On 9/8/2018 at 3:14 PM, Spawn said:

Wait, what? I just did a double take after reading that line. How are the Arkham games not casual-friendly? And how would them not being for casuals be a good thing about the game?

Also, what's wrong with people who want to play a game on easy?

The Arkham games platinums are universally known for being annoying. Pretty self explanatory.

What's wrong with people that don't want to play a game on easy? People can play how they want. Remember how people complained about how Super Mario Odyssey was "too easy"? Yeah, me too.

9 hours ago, Valyrious said:

The Arkham games platinums are universally known for being annoying. Pretty self explanatory.

So specifically the trophy list that isn't casual-friendly then, not the game. I thought that might be your point but I wasn't really sure.

9 hours ago, Valyrious said:

What's wrong with people that don't want to play a game on easy? People can play how they want. Remember how people complained about how Super Mario Odyssey was "too easy"? Yeah, me too.

Well, there's a difference between playing a game with several difficulty levels on easy, and having a game with one difficulty level that's easy. It seemed with your previous post that you didn't like people having the option of playing on easy. Or is it just that you want a trophy for different difficulties whenever a game has different difficulties?

On 9/10/2018 at 4:30 AM, Spawn said:

So specifically the trophy list that isn't casual-friendly then, not the game. I thought that might be your point but I wasn't really sure.

Well, there's a difference between playing a game with several difficulty levels on easy, and having a game with one difficulty level that's easy. It seemed with your previous post that you didn't like people having the option of playing on easy. Or is it just that you want a trophy for different difficulties whenever a game has different difficulties?

There's only a few trophies in the Arkham games that aren't casual friendly, otherwise it's fairly basic.

I just like games that reward those that take a challenge and truly experience everything that the game has to offer. By beating it multiple times, and on the hardest difficulty, you're conquering the game at its maximum potential and there should be some sort of vanity item that shows that you did that. God of War should have done it, and Spider-Man should have as well. Maybe it stems from my resentment of Devil May Cry games having extremely frustrating trophies and wanting the ones I really care about to take a page out of its book to really make those who have the platinum trophy feel more unique, but who knows.

I think if Insomniac made it so that there was a gold trophy for getting 'Ultimate' on all the challenges. Getting Ultimate is really difficult and definitely would have given the game at least some sort of difficulty requirement. I guess I'm just someone that doesn't enjoy games on Easy and never will. There's no fun in a game where you can get hit hundreds of times with no penalty and no real threat of danger. Part of the thrill of a game is that you die in a few hits and have to restart until you're perfect.

Understandable why that's not the case with something like Spider-Man though. It's not realistic in his universe to die in a few hits. But there are other things they could have explored to give those that want more difficult that challenge, and reward them for it.

On 11/09/2018 at 8:06 PM, Valyrious said:

I guess I'm just someone that doesn't enjoy games on Easy and never will. There's no fun in a game where you can get hit hundreds of times with no penalty and no real threat of danger. Part of the thrill of a game is that you die in a few hits and have to restart until you're perfect.

I'm not like that for every game. I like games like The Messenger and Celeste for challenging me, but with games like Spider-Man and Assassin's Creed I just want to be wowed, with games like Stardew Valley and Journey I just want to relax, and with games like West Of Loathing and Agatha Knife I just want to laugh.

I seek my challenge mostly in platformers and puzzle games, and I do mean challenge. But with how busy I am these days, with Spider-Man I just want to enjoy the story and slinging, and I don't have time/patience for super tough combat with lots of planning, so I'm not playing on the highest difficulty level.