Marvel's Spider-Man Review Thread

Ghost

2 hours ago, marvelboy10 said:

Great reviews, no difficulty related trophies, MCU iron spider suit, not a difficult platinum, and much more. I said I was going to get this on my birthday but now I'm having second thoughts. 

This is why Spider-Man is my favorite Marvel hero. 

Insomniac games, I hope those reviews aren't lying.  

You should be doing backflips right now and preparing for midnight instead of having second thoughts, lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

You are the worst type of trophy "hunter"....

I personally wish the platinum was really hard. Beat the game 2+ times, one on "hardest" difficulty, one on NG+. As well as other specific challenges.

The one nice thing about the Arkham games is that they're generally not for the casuals. This game, trophies wise at least, is definitely casual friendly. Which is fine if you're Angry Joe and just want to play the game on Easy. 

9 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Same thing happened to me LOL!

Going to play Spiderman first (just preordered it) and get Tomb Raider once I finish Spiderman which will take me awhile. If i can't get spiderman done by the time AC: Odyssey comes out i'll push Tomb Raider back even more.

S/N: Life's just really busy atm, so i don't expect to be done by October with it to be honest lol

All of what you just said + plus trying to finish Alien Isolation and I am Setsuna, and really keen also to get Dragon Quest 11. Lol

• Like 1

Seems like it's pretty decent. I might have to buy this sooner rather than later.

15 hours ago, LepreCon1991 said:

Can't wait for all the "This game sucks/ is disappointing/ isn't good" threads

13 hours ago, TerminatarMnA said:

Especially the people who haven't played the game/have played barely any of it. 

13 hours ago, LepreCon1991 said:

Exactly. It's just so hilarious seeing those threads from try-hard contrarians.

However, I also acknowledge and respect that some people may well play this game and not like it, which is cool too. We're not all wired the same.

Speaking as someone who has gotten crap for having the opinions that the new God Of War was slow and boring and that The Last Of Us was decent but very overrated, I feel like people who have an opinion that differs from the masses get too much crap (to the point of indeed being accused of never having played the game, which might be true for some trolls but won't be true for all negative opinions), and fans of a game who refuse to acknowledge that any criticism of the game at all can be justified don't get enough crap. 

2 hours ago, Feral said:

Well this is making the decision between getting this day one and Tomb Raider day one very hard.

If that's the choice, then Spider-Man definitely. Tomb Raider has gotten too much shooty shooty and neglects the platforming (and actual tombs), in my opinion. And the second game in the reboot was basically the first game all over again, with the exception of a very fun prologue.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, LepreCon1991 said:

Can't wait for all the "This game sucks/ is disappointing/ isn't good" threads

Well, if people have valid criticism why not? Who says that this game is liked by everyone? For me it looks really good and I'll check it out eventually. Still, I could end up not liking it.

If you believe it or not, there are people who don't like well received games like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted 4 e.g. and I bet most of them aren't blindly hating but have actual reasons. 

2 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Well, if people have valid criticism why not? Who says that this game is liked by everyone? For me it looks really good and I'll check it out eventually. Still, I could end up not liking it.

If you believe it or not, there are people who don't like well received games like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted 4 e.g. and I bet most of them aren't blindly hating but have actual reasons. 

5 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

Speaking as someone who has gotten crap for having the opinions that the new God Of War was slow and boring and that The Last Of Us was decent but very overrated, I feel like people who have an opinion that differs from the masses get too much crap (to the point of indeed being accused of never having played the game, which might be true for some trolls but won't be true for all negative opinions), and fans of a game who refuse to acknowledge that any criticism of the game at all can be justified don't get enough crap. 

Perhaps you guys didn't see my second comment so. I said if people genuinely think differently, that's cool, we're not all wired the same. My comment was in reference to those who only dislike it because it's popular and acclaimed and feel they have to talk shit just because. I welcome genuine critiques and differing opinions, I certainly don't think everybody should like the same things I like, not trying to start beef like an immature fanboy, sorry if that's how the comment read.

Edited by LepreCon1991
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ash Williams said:

If that's the choice, then Spider-Man definitely. Tomb Raider has gotten too much shooty shooty and neglects the platforming (and actual tombs), in my opinion. And the second game in the reboot was basically the first game all over again, with the exception of a very fun prologue.

Lol I will agree with there being practically no tombs but still I really liked Rise. Besides Shadow looks so bloody cool.

Might end up getting Spidey day one depending on how long it takes to finish.

Spider-man has always been my favorite superhero; I have a large collection of his comics from the 70s and 80s. 

Seeing a wall of high reviews doesn't really wow me (I've never even heard of some of those people), but some of the reviewers are "go to" for me, so I'll likely get this later, after finishing Ni No Kuni 2, The Fractured But Whole, Dragon Quest XI, all of the Persona music games...OK, it will be a while. :D

2 hours ago, rdhight said:

Every time one of these polished-til-it-gleams games comes out, we hear this stuff. "It doesn't move the genre forward." "It doesn't innovate." "It only distills what came before."

I really get sick of that criticism. It's a lazy excuse unless there are significant ideas for change put forth by the reviewer. 

I've seen a lot of it for Dragon Quest XI, as if somehow the 11th main series entry of a franchise suddenly will shake everything up (to be honest, I'm delightedthat Dragon Quest moved away from the MMO idea and back into the realm of traditional JRPG, but even if I wasn't, I don't think I'd be looking to this franchise to change the rules again). 

Edited by starcrunch061

So let me just say that the game references the Raimi-films on two occasions while doing a completely different story.

43 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I really get sick of that criticism. It's a lazy excuse unless there are significant ideas for change put forth by the reviewer. 

I think it's a fair criticism when you look at a new IP, as I think new IPs should take risks.

DQ and Spidey are all about tradition and fan service, they embrace this, and they are perfect as they are.

Edited by fbdbh

Even Jim Sterling likes this game. Not saying he never likes games but he usually goes to town on titles that have certain tropes that he hates- tropes that he notes are present in this game but the story missions are apparently so good and Spidey controls so well that he can't bring himself to dislike the game!