MosesRockefeller

Trails/Kiseki series version details

37 posts in this topic

I am about to fight what I think is the final boss battle. What an epic game. I'm looking forward to finishing this and moving onto The 3rd, even though I wish it was localized on PSP/Vita/Switch. PC is better than nothing, but I haven't played a game on PC in more than 5 years!

Also:

Spoiler

I gave up trying to beat Loewe after the 2nd attempt, so I accepted defeat and chose "Continue". I think the boss gauntlet left me impatient to really work at the fight, but he was also much, much harder than any of the previous Enforcers.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

32 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also:

Reveal hidden contents

I gave up trying to beat Loewe after the 2nd attempt, so I accepted defeat and chose "Continue". I think the boss gauntlet left me impatient to really work at the fight, but he was also much, much harder than any of the previous Enforcers.

When I said, "That character has best defensive s-craft in the game, maybe even in the whole series. It is incredibly useful against a certain boss later on.", that's the exact fight I was referring to. 

Spoiler

I don't think I've ever beat Loewe without Kevin in my party. His s-craft perfectly counters Loewe's. 

Anyway, good luck with the final boss. I doubt you'll need it though, since it's not nearly as hard as the previous boss.

14 hours ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

When I said, "That character has best defensive s-craft in the game, maybe even in the whole series. It is incredibly useful against a certain boss later on.", that's the exact fight I was referring to. 

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think I've ever beat Loewe without Kevin in my party. His s-craft perfectly counters Loewe's. 

Anyway, good luck with the final boss. I doubt you'll need it though, since it's not nearly as hard as the previous boss.

Oh I had Kevin in the fight. I still couldn't keep my defenses up though, even with his S-craft and trying to cast Earth Wall from multiple party members.

Anyway, thanks, I'll hopefully finish up the game by this weekend.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Oh I had Kevin in the fight. I still couldn't keep my defenses up though, even with his S-craft and trying to cast Earth Wall from multiple party members.

Anyway, thanks, I'll hopefully finish up the game by this weekend.

Well, that is often called the hardest fight in the game. I guess it doesn't matter now, but what I'm going to say can be applied to (almost) any boss. If you aren't already, use Clock Up EX and Clock Down. Most bosses surprisingly don't resist Clock Down, it even works on

Spoiler

Loewe.

You should also have both Action and Cast quartz on just about every character. One other thing, formation can really help the start of a boss fight. There's rarely ever a good reason to have your party members in the front. By putting them in the back, whatever/whoever you're fighting will likely have to waste time going to the back.

2 hours ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

Well, that is often called the hardest fight in the game. I guess it doesn't matter now, but what I'm going to say can be applied to (almost) any boss. If you aren't already, use Clock Up EX and Clock Down. Most bosses surprisingly don't resist Clock Down, it even works on

Reveal hidden contents

Loewe.

You should also have both Action and Cast quartz on just about every character. One other thing, formation can really help the start of a boss fight. There's rarely ever a good reason to have your party members in the front. By putting them in the back, whatever/whoever you're fighting will likely have to waste time going to the back.

I tend to use Clock Up EX on my main damage dealer at the very least, but I don't use Clock Down very often. I'll start using it more (in The 3rd I guess). I'll have to check my quartz setup again; I think I have Action and/or Cast on some people, but probably not all. I'll be honest, character "builds" are my least favorite part of JRPGs. That's one of those tedious things that does not interest me. I don't spend lots of time maximizing my quartz setup, so I wouldn't be surprised if it could be improved. I always use the best weapons (armor and accessories are more complicated of course), but I tend to use the same small handful of Arts so I'm sure there is room for improvement in my quartz setup.

I'm not sure what you mean by formation and putting people in the back. Do you mean battle formation? If so, I haven't spent much time thinking about it. Having party members at the front makes it easier to kill weak mobs with weapon attacks to build up CP in between boss fights, usually before they get a single turn in. That's the only scenario I really consider regarding the battle formation. Because building up CP is one of those tedious things to me, and probably my least favorite aspect of this series (in fact I stocked up on Tomatrio Sandwiches for the final battle - I have about 30 of them). But I guess I can see how having the party in the back would sometimes make bosses spend their first turn walking closer - at least melee-oriented bosses.

Anyway, I beat the the first form of this presumably-final battle, and the game saved mid-battle, so it's too late for me to change setup now (and I don't want to fight him again). I'm managing okay though, so I think I'll pull through.

23 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I tend to use Clock Up EX on my main damage dealer at the very least, but I don't use Clock Down very often. I'll start using it more (in The 3rd I guess).

Clock Up EX increases speed by 50%, so you definitely want that buff on everyone. When you combine that with Clock Down (-50% speed to an enemy) it makes a massive difference.

39 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'll have to check my quartz setup again; I think I have Action and/or Cast on some people, but probably not all. I'll be honest, character "builds" are my least favorite part of JRPGs. That's one of those tedious things that does not interest me. I don't spend lots of time maximizing my quartz setup, so I wouldn't be surprised if it could be improved. I always use the best weapons (armor and accessories are more complicated of course), but I tend to use the same small handful of Arts so I'm sure there is room for improvement in my quartz setup.

I love that sort of thing, so it wasn't rare for me to spend an hour trying to get my quartz "perfect". Anyway, if you made it this far with your current quartz set-up, I'm sure it'll be fine for the rest of the final boss.

48 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm not sure what you mean by formation and putting people in the back. Do you mean battle formation? If so, I haven't spent much time thinking about it. Having party members at the front makes it easier to kill weak mobs with weapon attacks to build up CP in between boss fights, usually before they get a single turn in. That's the only scenario I really consider regarding the battle formation. Because building up CP is one of those tedious things to me, and probably my least favorite aspect of this series (in fact I stocked up on Tomatrio Sandwiches for the final battle - I have about 30 of them). But I guess I can see how having the party in the back would sometimes make bosses spend their first turn walking closer - at least melee-oriented bosses.

Yeah that's what I meant. What I should've said was that there's no reason for your party to be in the front (for a boss battle). Having them in the front is indeed good for what you mentioned. 

Thankfully CP is easier to build up/maintain in the later games. Resting at an inn recovers 100 CP (this happens as early as Zero, I think). There are also some CP recovery arts. I can't remember the name, but one of them adds an effect that recovers 20 CP per turn (lasts four turns).

10 minutes ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

I love that sort of thing, so it wasn't rare for me to spend an hour trying to get my quartz "perfect". Anyway, if you made it this far with your current quartz set-up, I'm sure it'll be fine for the rest of the final boss.

I think the game being so approachable makes it easier for me to not spend much time worrying about the quartz setup. Which again, is good for me since I dislike spending lots of time on RPG "setup". Being able to lower difficulty on a tough battle is a nice feature, but the flipside is that it spoils gamers. I think it's an awesome feature, but I'm just saying it might encourage "laziness". I think it does for me at least.

I don't want to give the wrong impression - I don't think my quartz setup is TERRIBLE, but I have no doubt that it could be better. But the setup lets me succeed 99% of the time, so I am fine with the way I do it.

13 minutes ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

Yeah that's what I meant. What I should've said was that there's no reason for your party to be in the front (for a boss battle). Having them in the front is indeed good for what you mentioned. 

That makes sense. I don't love the battle formation menu, so I hope it's improved in later entries, or that the games let you toggle between frequently-used formations. In FC and SC the menu is pretty clunky.

16 minutes ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

Thankfully CP is easier to build up/maintain in the later games. Resting at an inn recovers 100 CP (this happens as early as Zero, I think). There are also some CP recovery arts. I can't remember the name, but one of them adds an effect that recovers 20 CP per turn (lasts four turns).

That's great to hear. I think Kevin has a CP restore Craft, but it drains his IIRC.

Speaking of Zero, that reminds me. I'm assuming that there won't be a localization of that Dualogy by the time I finish The 3rd. I still need to decide how I'm going to experience those games, if at all. I just noticed that there is a Youtube Let's Play of the first game... and it's 40+ hours long (which on the plus side, means the bulk of the game is covered... but that's a long set of videos).

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I think the game being so approachable makes it easier for me to not spend much time worrying about the quartz setup. Which again, is good for me since I dislike spending lots of time on RPG "setup". Being able to lower difficulty on a tough battle is a nice feature, but the flipside is that it spoils gamers. I think it's an awesome feature, but I'm just saying it might encourage "laziness". I think it does for me at least.

I don't want to give the wrong impression - I don't think my quartz setup is TERRIBLE, but I have no doubt that it could be better. But the setup lets me succeed 99% of the time, so I am fine with the way I do it.

Yeah, spending as much time as I do is definitely unnecessary — especially on normal — but that's just how I am. 

Most "high tier" offensive arts are actually useless, so it's not worth it to try and get those anyway. The high EP cost, unimpressive damage, and slow cast time makes them rather unbalanced. You can do far more damage in a shorter period by using low level arts like Soul Blur and Aqua Bleed.

That makes sense. I don't love the battle formation menu, so I hope it's improved in later entries, or that the games let you toggle between frequently-used formations. In FC and SC the menu is pretty clunky.

It doesn't change much, sadly. The only major change is that the placement is more free, rather than being on a grid.

That's great to hear. I think Kevin has a CP restore Craft, but it drains his IIRC.

Speaking of Zero, that reminds me. I'm assuming that there won't be a localization of that Dualogy by the time I finish The 3rd. I still need to decide how I'm going to experience those games, if at all. I just noticed that there is a Youtube Let's Play of the first game... and it's 40+ hours long (which on the plus side, means the bulk of the game is covered... but that's a long set of videos).

Right, I forgot about that one. There are similar (and better) crafts in Sen; I can't remember any good ones in Zero or Ao, though.

An official localization won't be happening soon, if at all. There is, however, a fan translation of Zero that is being done by a very capable team. The translation is done and they're 75% done editing. If you want to see their progress: https://geofront.esterior.net

Well, I finished SC, and started on The 3rd this weekend. SC had a pretty epic ending! From what I've seen of The 3rd so far (I just added the 3rd party member), it's a "smaller" story, but that's fine.

On 12/6/2018 at 5:31 PM, Cave_Johnson_ said:

An official localization won't be happening soon, if at all. There is, however, a fan translation of Zero that is being done by a very capable team. The translation is done and they're 75% done editing. If you want to see their progress: https://geofront.esterior.net

I heard about that, but the site doesn't seem to have an "overview" page that I can find. Do you know what the overall plan is? Mod for the Japanese PSP and/or PC version? I played a bit of the Valkyria Chronicles 3 English fan translation, and that was a mod for the Japanese PSP version.

7 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Well, I finished SC, and started on The 3rd this weekend. SC had a pretty epic ending! From what I've seen of The 3rd so far (I just added the 3rd party member), it's a "smaller" story, but that's fine.

Nice! I love the ending in SC. I'll never forget

Spoiler

hearing the first few notes of "The Whereabouts of Hope" — and subsequently the rest of the song while watching the Liber Ark fall to pieces  all the while being 99% certain that Estelle and Joshua would be okay somehow, yet being shaken by that one percent of doubt.  

Anyway, the 3rd is one of the shorter games in the series, and is structured quite differently (as you've probably noticed).

7 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I heard about that, but the site doesn't seem to have an "overview" page that I can find. Do you know what the overall plan is? Mod for the Japanese PSP and/or PC version? I played a bit of the Valkyria Chronicles 3 English fan translation, and that was a mod for the Japanese PSP version.

There doesn't seem to be an overview of any kind, though there really should be one. I did manage to find this comment taken from here

Q: "Will this translation patch be out for the PSP ver? I unfortunately can’t get my hands on the PC ver due to the region I live in."

A: "There will be one for PSP, but it will be limited to script insertion. We are primarily focused on improving the PC version and using that."

17 hours ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

Nice! I love the ending in SC. I'll never forget

Reveal hidden contents

hearing the first few notes of "The Whereabouts of Hope" — and subsequently the rest of the song while watching the Liber Ark fall to pieces  all the while being 99% certain that Estelle and Joshua would be okay somehow, yet being shaken by that one percent of doubt.  

Yeah, I was pretty much the same way.

Anyway, the 3rd is one of the shorter games in the series, and is structured quite differently (as you've probably noticed).

Yeah, I just finished Chapter 1 so now I have 4 party members. So far I'm liking it even if it's more grinding than story.

I also didn't realize how long those Moon Door scenes are. The first one started automatically and while I enjoyed it, I was trying to get to bed and had to leave the game paused overnight!

There doesn't seem to be an overview of any kind, though there really should be one. I did manage to find this comment taken from here

Q: "Will this translation patch be out for the PSP ver? I unfortunately can’t get my hands on the PC ver due to the region I live in."

A: "There will be one for PSP, but it will be limited to script insertion. We are primarily focused on improving the PC version and using that."

Hmm. I know I can get the Japanese PSP version either via PSN or a store (if there is a physical version still being sold), but I'm not sure how that would work with the PC version. I guess I'll cross that bridge when the fan translation is complete.

17 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, I just finished Chapter 1 so now I have 4 party members. So far I'm liking it even if it's more grinding than story.

I also didn't realize how long those Moon Door scenes are. The first one started automatically and while I enjoyed it, I was trying to get to bed and had to leave the game paused overnight!

The Moon Doors certainly are long. Phantasma and the Moon/Star doors are kind of like a convenient excuse to show us scenes we would have never seen otherwise, but that's fine with me, since the end result is amazing.

17 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Hmm. I know I can get the Japanese PSP version either via PSN or a store (if there is a physical version still being sold), but I'm not sure how that would work with the PC version. I guess I'll cross that bridge when the fan translation is complete.

I'll have to look into it more, but I believe the PC version can be bought digitally somewhere. That would most likely be the easiest (legal) way.