Avatar Rockstar Trophy has some unlock quirks

BlaizeV

Okay so yesterday I hit 99 Avatar's unlocked. I then hit 100 A Ranks and unlocked 3 avatar's at once (Zen avatars in the Journey section). Putting me on 102 avatars but the trophy did not unlock. I eventually unlocked a 103rd avatar this morning and got the trophy. After talking to fellow member Eric_742 who didn't get the trophy pop till 101 I have a theory as to why. 

Firstly the trophy states you need to EARN 100 Avatars. i.e the first one you start with doesn't count. This would explain why Eric_742's trophy didn't pop till 101. Next that you need to earn a SINGLE avatar for the trophy to pop. Which would explain why my 3 Zen Avatars didn't pop the trophy at 102. 

So yeah don't worry if when you finally get to 100 Avatars that the trophy doesn't pop. Chances are you'll only need 1 more Avatar and the trophy will pop just fine.

Edited by BlaizeV

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2018 at 9:21 AM, BlaizeV said:

Next that you need to earn a SINGLE avatar for the trophy to pop. Which would explain why my 3 Zen Avatars didn't pop the trophy at 102.

Having just unlocked the trophy with a trio of Journey avatars that took me from 100 to 103, I can confirm it's a bit odder than this. The game seems to only check whether the first avatar of the set puts you over 100 and ignores the other two. As such, if you're already at 100/101 avatars needed and you unlocked an avatar trio like I did, the first avatar there will take you to 101/101, triggering the trophy to pop as normal. Conversely, if you're at 99/101 or 98/101 and you get the avatar trio, the first avatar there will only take you to 100/101 or 99/101, respectively, so even though the trio would take you over 101, the game does not realize this and you must unlock some other avatar to make the game run a check again and give you the trophy as intended. Also, as such, if you've been hit by this glitch, you should be able to get the trophy just for unlocking any avatar, not just an event or RNG avatar.

EDIT: Also, if you're looking to unlock this trophy without having to actually sit around and grind for avatars and you happen to have a turbo controller, you can just do All Clear and spam hard drop after binding it to the :cross: button through in-game settings. The game will never top out as a misdrop in All Clear just moves you along to the next board and there are some boards that only require hard dropping into a hole three times from the starting position, so you'll get at least a D rank 99.9% of the time due to the sheer number of boards you'll be going through all but guaranteeing at least one of those easy boards, if not more. By mapping hard drop to :cross: in-game, you can just have the game reset itself every time the game ends, so you can leave it running indefinitely and grind out avatars without having to be present. This is also a good way to grind out levels since each game will give you about 1000 EXP anyway and takes about a minute and a half to two minutes each between the starting minute, whatever extra time you gain from All Clears, and the results screen. Grinding for EXP isn't really needed if you're going for the plat, but if you're good enough that you're far away from Level 100 after getting SS on everything or you know you'll never get SS in everything but wanna minimize the damage that this game would inflict on your completion rate, this is a good way to AFK it.

Edited by Walt the Dog
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Either they fixed it or I got lucky as it popped at exactly 100.

Quite happy too because the amount of duplicates I was getting was driving me insane.

Glad (although wish I would’ve found it wayyy earlier) I found the method where you just spam drop for the entire minute of All Clear which guaranteed a D-Rank. Still get duplicates obviously, but the fact it takes 0 effort and 0 attention is nice.