Trine and Patch 1.01

tinman_1954

Just finished Trine (easy mode) with 1.01 patch and want to go for the Better Than Developers and What's Next trophies. Strategy guide says it is easier with out patch 1.01 installed. The skeletons in Tower of Sarek were as thick as flies around a dung heap and I struggled to get through that on easy! The guide author in a thread said it is best to delete the game and then reinstall it but not on line. Got confused here and questions started popping up. How can you download Trine from the PS Store if you're not on line? If you're on line downloading the game, don't updates and patches automatically download and install as well? If I delete and reinstall the game wont I loose all my upgrades and items? I don't want to struggle through this game on vary hard difficulty without that stuff! Can someone explain this to me?

1 hour ago, B1rvine said:

Delete the game data in the Utility folder. Re-download (not sure you even need to), then play offline so it can't update when you launch.

Once you know the route, it's not terrible, even on hard modes.

Where is this Utility Folder you're talking about? Don't I lose all my upgrades and items if I delete the game? That means starting all over again.

19 minutes ago, tinman_1954 said:

Where is this Utility Folder you're talking about? Don't I lose all my upgrades and items if I delete the game? That means starting all over again.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/storage---data/how-to-remove-game-data-utility-files-from-the-playstation-3/

No, your saved data is separate than the patch data.  The utility folder holds patch info, DLC info, etc, while the Game Save Data is where saved games are. Make sure you don't delete that.  Basically you want make sure your game is the original 1.00 version, and launch it while offline so it can't update.

58 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/storage---data/how-to-remove-game-data-utility-files-from-the-playstation-3/

No, your saved data is separate than the patch data.  The utility folder holds patch info, DLC info, etc, while the Game Save Data is where saved games are. Make sure you don't delete that.  Basically you want make sure your game is the original 1.00 version, and launch it while offline so it can't update.

So the folder you're talking about is actually called the Game Data Utility and this is the one to delete. The one I don't want to delete is actually called the Saved Data Utility (PS3TM) User 1 correct? To be on the safe side I saved the game to a USB flash drive. Use to play Assassins Creed Black Flag (PS4) and was in the top 3 on all the leader boards. Then my system crashed and I lost all my progress on a lot of games. Never even got a chance to complete all the Black Flag Trophies. Broke my incentive to continue. Haven't replayed any of those games. Bad memories. Learned my lesson though. Now I flash drive every game and on a regular basis too. lol

1 hour ago, tinman_1954 said:

So the folder you're talking about is actually called the Game Data Utility and this is the one to delete. The one I don't want to delete is actually called the Saved Data Utility (PS3TM) User 1 correct? To be on the safe side I saved the game to a USB flash drive. Use to play Assassins Creed Black Flag (PS4) and was in the top 3 on all the leader boards. Then my system crashed and I lost all my progress on a lot of games. Never even got a chance to complete all the Black Flag Trophies. Broke my incentive to continue. Haven't replayed any of those games. Bad memories. Learned my lesson though. Now I flash drive every game and on a regular basis too. lol

This is the steps I took and the results I got: #1. Deleted the Trine Game Data Utility file and not the Trine Saved Data Utility file. #2. Went to PS Store and redownloaded Trine game. #3. After downloading was complete, I went to Networks Settings and  disabled Internet Connection setting. Was no longer on line. Went to games listing and started the game. During the startup process a message pops up stating the data was corrupted. Continued anyway. When the main menu popped up there was no Continue or Choose Level option on the menu. #4. Exited game entirely, went back to Network Settings and enabled Internet Connection setting. #5. Went to games listing and started the game. During bootup a message popped referring to installation of Version 1.01 Update. I canceled the option to install update and continued bootup. 2nd message pops stating data was corrupted. Continued bootup anyway. When main menu pops there was no Continue or Choose Level option on the menu. #6. Repeated steps 1 thru 5 three different times and received the same results each time. #7 Repeated steps 1 thru 5 one more time with the same results again. Exited game entirely and restarted game bootup. This time when message popped referring to installation of Version1.01 I allowed the installation. After the installation was complete the game continued the bootup to the main menu. Didn't receive a corrupted data message. This time the Continue and Choose Level options were on the main menu. This tells me that any saved game files made after installation of patch1.01 are locked into that patch. You can't just simply delete an reinstall the game and expect your old saved game files to work. 

5 hours ago, tinman_1954 said:

snip

You may need to replay the entire game then on 1.00 if you want to take advantage of this trick. 

Might be more trouble than its worth.  Just go up the tower slowly but steadily (faster than the rising lava), learn where the spike balls will be conjured in, and move them out of the way or let them fall below you.  The hardest part will be at the top, there are unlimited skeletons, try to kill them quickly simultaneously to give you a few seconds to make your platforms.  Good luck.

Gotta be honest with you: I tried to delete the patch on the folder, but it doesn’t showed up, I did with patch 1.01.

I played just like you did on easy and watched some videos with the 1.01 on very hard. It isn’t too hard actually. While the skelatons are a pain sometime in 1.01, you can actually avoid most of them. The level is short and should take a few tries. I managed to reach the top twice in row and die at the very ending of the level.

Without the patch, the lava raises (slightly) faster, so I honestly suggest you doing it with the patch. Trust me, I thought it was harder with the patch, but I already knew when the skeletons spawn and shoot them with arrows when they do so... no big deal :) give it a try

3 hours ago, TurtlePM said:

Gotta be honest with you: I tried to delete the patch on the folder, but it doesn’t showed up, I did with patch 1.01.

I played just like you did on easy and watched some videos with the 1.01 on very hard. It isn’t too hard actually. While the skelatons are a pain sometime in 1.01, you can actually avoid most of them. The level is short and should take a few tries. I managed to reach the top twice in row and die at the very ending of the level.

Without the patch, the lava raises (slightly) faster, so I honestly suggest you doing it with the patch. Trust me, I thought it was harder with the patch, but I already knew when the skeletons spawn and shoot them with arrows when they do so... no big deal :) give it a try

My thoughts and reasoning are this: It would have been nice if a heads up type "warning" about the patch and how it affects the entire game would have been placed at the beginning of the strategy guide and not towards the end under one specific trophy and stating how it affects only that one or two trophies. I would have liked having the option rather or not to install the patch up front and not after the fact. I probably would not have installed it until later in the game. It would have been interesting to see how it affected the game after I had played the game for awhile and got use to it without the patch. I think it would have been great to be able to play the last chapter without the patch and then with the patch. Unfortunately at this point in time, it's not a viable option. I'm not going to replay this game 4 times in a row to get that experience. There are other games I want to play too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tinman_1954 said:

My thoughts and reasoning are this: It would have been nice if a heads up type "warning" about the patch and how it affects the entire game would have been placed at the beginning of the strategy guide and not towards the end under one specific trophy and stating how it affects only that one or two trophies. I would have liked having the option rather or not to install the patch up front and not after the fact. I probably would not have installed it until later in the game. It would have been interesting to see how it affected the game after I had played the game for awhile and got use to it without the patch. I think it would have been great to be able to play the last chapter without the patch and then with the patch. Unfortunately at this point in time, it's not a viable option. I'm not going to replay this game 4 times in a row to get that experience. There are other games I want to play too. 

I agree with you on that--gotchas like should be one of the first things they tell you about.  Makes me think of this scene in Death Becomes Her:  

Spoiler