The grind of RNG seems even worse than it was in Yakuza Zero

DaveMcDamage

21 minutes ago, kanzenchaos said:

I would advise not to give up yet, did you try taking a look at devilleon7's guide? Using his guide I easily got to the final boss on the 1st attempt on Proving Grounds 7 (ran out of time though lol)

Yeah I had a look at his guide. I cannot get that rapid fire technique to work so cannot do the final section and I have over a minute each time but its just s**t man. Fair play to you for doing it though man and keep pushing for the plat. I refuse the play the s**t any longer though man. I work my arse off 6 days a week to then come home to this pile of s**t. I was stupid for doing it so many days and wasting all my evenings. Not got any other games at the moment but hopefully will get my amazon voucher back after cancelling Kiwami 2, so I can keep an eye out on the PS4 Xmas deals. 

For Proving grounds 7, I can suggest following the video above and spam shoot using R1+Triangle throughout most of the mission. For the last part, the method in the video is a bit risky. The way I tried is, as I start shooting using Triangle, I used the left analog stick to move Kiryu away to cover on the left and slowly pick the targets. When it comes to the boss, I spam shoot as I slowly walk forward as the time is getting short. When I see the boss is about to attack, I dodge roll and side walk a bit then resume the attack. Repeat and dodge when you have to reload midway or about to sense its attack. The mission time is also quite tight in this one.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kanzenchaos said:

Yeah for the spam shot just hold R1 and press triangle until Kiryu shoots (it's not instant), you should get the hang of it in less than a minute.

Btw I just passed that damn mission, fml

You guys are truly awesome for all the advice but as I said I'm done, I cannot spend another moment and waste another evening on it. This is supposed to be my favourite hobby so I'll be f**ked if I let it stress me like this and ruin all my free time. Congrats on doing it, Kanzen, the plat is almost yours.

7 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

You guys are truly awesome for all the advice but as I said I'm done, I cannot spend another moment and waste another evening on it. This is supposed to be my favourite hobby so I'll be f**ked if I let it stress me like this and ruin all my free time. Congrats on doing it, Kanzen, the plat is almost yours.

I understand it dude =/

Thanks for the advices you gave me on Mahjong and Haruka's karaoke.

4 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

I understand it dude =/

Thanks for the advices you gave me on Mahjong and Haruka's karaoke.

Well because I have no other games at the moment I thought I'd give the Majima rounds a try. Did all them first time and enjoyed them because they knew how to build a melee combat game. 

Didn't do the first melee stage though as I wasn't prepared for the fact that once again you have next to no upgrades for the battle. 

Then this morning I wanted one last crack at stag 7 on PG. First attempt - Couldn't even hit the guys at the start for some reason so got killed within seconds. Second attempt - Couldn't get into the building then realised the guy on the bridge at the start hadn't been shot. Third attempt - Got to the last section and this time managed to take out the six mini-enemies then popped in and out of cover to beat the big guy. Finished the stage with a few seconds to spare but wow did my legs tense up once that final guy went down lol. 

Had a quick go of stage 8 but got destroyed. Got work now so will try again at weekend. 

Nice, all you needed was a bit more patience I guess lol
The melee battles timing can be very tight, It took me a few tries to do 2 and I'm now stuck on 4, need to try it again today.

Edit: Just passed Melee 4, 5 is so much worse though, looks like the "boss" can do an endless combo.

Besides that, the triangle prompt to do a heat action on him refuses to appear most of the time when I'm holding an object (with enough heat of course)

Edited by kanzenchaos

4 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

Nice, all you needed was a bit more patience I guess lol
The melee battles timing can be very tight, It took me a few tries to do 2 and I'm now stuck on 4, need to try it again today.

Edit: Just passed Melee 4, 5 is so much worse though, looks like the "boss" can do an endless combo.

Besides that, the triangle prompt to do a heat action on him refuses to appear most of the time when I'm holding an object (with enough heat of course)

Yeah I much preferred the climax battles on Zero. Just got home so won't get to try again until tomorrow night but hopefully get through the rest as fast as possible without wasted too much of my day off. 

Hopefully the ultimate battles will be like Zero's set. Those were great as they were just boss battles which were sort of like a game in themselves. But even on Zero the PG rounds gave me problems, especially the two stages where you weren't allowed to be hit. But don't think I've ever had to attempt something like stage 7 in any game to date, and I did Dark Souls, CoD Trilogy. But again I blame a lot of it on the camera and mechanics for that stage. Gunplay is not Yakuza friendly except for the actual car sections. 

5 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah I much preferred the climax battles on Zero. Just got home so won't get to try again until tomorrow night but hopefully get through the rest as fast as possible without wasted too much of my day off. 

Hopefully the ultimate battles will be like Zero's set. Those were great as they were just boss battles which were sort of like a game in themselves. But even on Zero the PG rounds gave me problems, especially the two stages where you weren't allowed to be hit. But don't think I've ever had to attempt something like stage 7 in any game to date, and I did Dark Souls, CoD Trilogy. But again I blame a lot of it on the camera and mechanics for that stage. Gunplay is not Yakuza friendly except for the actual car sections. 

Don't even remind me of Dark Souls, I got a second hand copy of Demon's Souls for PS3 and played on a secondary account, got my ass kicked hard lol. Still need to give it a chance though.

Just remembered to leave a quick tip for PG9, you start with 1hp and can't get hit (obviously), but you can do a few heat actions with Dragon style to build up health, yeah it's a pretty cheap trick but makes the stage a cakewalk lol

Also in 8 I had to resort to tiger drop (even though I suck at the timing)

Edited by kanzenchaos

6 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

Don't even remind me of Dark Souls, I got a second hand copy of Demon's Souls for PS3 and played on a secondary account, got my ass kicked hard lol. Still need to give it a chance though.

Just remembered to leave a quick tip for PG9, you start with 1hp and can't get hit (obviously), but you can do a few heat actions with Dragon style to build up health, yeah it's a pretty cheap trick but makes the stage a cakewalk lol

Also in 8 I had to resort to tiger drop (even though I suck at the timing)

Cheers. Way too many 1 hit kills on these battles. Which Dragon moves increase health, any or certain ones? Is that the stage where you have to defend a Mesuda chick?

22 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Cheers. Way too many 1 hit kills on these battles. Which Dragon moves increase health, any or certain ones? Is that the stage where you have to defend a Mesuda chick?

Any dragon style heat actions will increase health, and yeah it's the one where you have to protect the mesuking girl

Edit: Just finished mad dog battles and the 2 first ultimate battles, they are pretty easy so far, I'll play the rest tomorrow since it's almost 6am

Edit2: Finished all of them, the ultimate battles really are way easier than the rest lol
The legend car chase is retarded, failed twice and I'm not feeling like doing the entire chapter again for now, will try it again later/tomorrow.
Another edit: Just got the plat lol, what I needed on the car chase was just a bit o patience, there's no need to rush to kill the enemies.

Edited by kanzenchaos

On 12/14/2018 at 6:31 AM, kanzenchaos said:

Any dragon style heat actions will increase health, and yeah it's the one where you have to protect the mesuking girl

Edit: Just finished mad dog battles and the 2 first ultimate battles, they are pretty easy so far, I'll play the rest tomorrow since it's almost 6am

Edit2: Finished all of them, the ultimate battles really are way easier than the rest lol
The legend car chase is retarded, failed twice and I'm not feeling like doing the entire chapter again for now, will try it again later/tomorrow.
Another edit: Just got the plat lol, what I needed on the car chase was just a bit o patience, there's no need to rush to kill the enemies.

Well done lad. 

Just had a couple of goes at PG8 and the climax battles really do show how badly dated Japanese game development is. Auto-targeting wrong enemies, horrible camera work. Bleaagh! Once I get the plat on this I'm done with Japanese gaming. Its just so bad and dated. I stopped playing Japanese games years ago due to how bad the story telling is and how bad the mechanics are, but Yakuza Zero was given a chance purely because it was the start of the franchise series (albeit in prequel form), so when I hear Kiwami used the same engine and stuff I was ok as Zero was really good (not incredible by anymeans), but Kiwami indeed does seem like a really lazy effort. 

So you going through with Kiwami 2? I cancelled mine the other day. 

EDIT: Oh my f**king lordy! Just tried PG10 LOL!!!! How... how... HOW! Did they get approval for this. To give a grown man in his fifties the strength of a new born baby and move him like he's stuck to tar. No wonder this franchise never took off in the West lol. They got so lucky with people like myself who's first experience of Yakuza was Zero, because if I had played this game on original release I'd have probably invaded Japan and told them never to make another game ever again. 

Apart from Dark Souls....

And Devil May Cry....

And Resident Evil......

And Mario......

Oh and Star Fox....

Shenmue would be accepted as well....

I wouldn't say no another Final Fantasy game.....

But never.... NEVER..... NEVEEEEEEEEEEEER, release another Yakuza game ever again. Dirty game *spits*

EDIT:

Finding it so hard to play now. Not because of difficulty anymore, but because how soul crushingly boring the climax battles have been since PG1. Each one worse and more dragged out than the last. This is some of the worst development I've seen in a long time. I can't even finish a challenge now without switching the PS4 off. Had about 3 goes of Melee 2 and just thought f**k it. 

Kaznenchaos. You have the patience that would have made a player of patience blush with envy. Now fly to my house and finish this s**t for me so I can move onto my next game. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

I'm not going through Kiwami 2 yet, still waiting for my copy to arrive lol
The only way I could get past PG10 was by first targeting the dude with the gun, then cornering the other 2 so I could hit them both at the same time, might add it felt so random playing as Date there.

I remember I had like, 10 attempts at Melee 2 and finished it with less than a second left, that's so BS, Though the next one is easy and 4 is way more bullshit than 2.

2 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

I'm not going through Kiwami 2 yet, still waiting for my copy to arrive lol
The only way I could get past PG10 was by first targeting the dude with the gun, then cornering the other 2 so I could hit them both at the same time, might add it felt so random playing as Date there.

I remember I had like, 10 attempts at Melee 2 and finished it with less than a second left, that's so BS, Though the next one is easy and 4 is way more bullshit than 2.

Yeah I did a few more earlier. I got up to melee 8 but switched off. Checked out a video and the level timer is at 30 minutes. Watched a vid as I do not want to do that more than once. Thankfully heat actions regain health and also there seems to be health cans around. Still looks turd though when you get to that boss with the duel guns. 

By the way. When you unlock those reward items when clearing each sections like PG, melee, Majima and Ultimate, how do you then use those items for legend playthrough? Also. When you played legend how many upgrades did you lose and stuff?

EDIT

Did melee 8 first time. No where near as nightmarish as people made it out to be and if I'm honest I actually enjoyed that one out of the whole damn thing so far. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

The melee battles were actually pretty easy imo, with exception of 2, 4 and 10. I'd go ahead and say that when you get past Melee 10 you already have the platinum.

About the gear you get in the climax battles, you can get them with Bob Utsunomiya (the clown dude). For the legend playthrough I used the completion list one (the one where you keep gaining heat) and the dragon amulet.

1 hour ago, kanzenchaos said:

The melee battles were actually pretty easy imo, with exception of 2, 4 and 10. I'd go ahead and say that when you get past Melee 10 you already have the platinum.

About the gear you get in the climax battles, you can get them with Bob Utsunomiya (the clown dude). For the legend playthrough I used the completion list one (the one where you keep gaining heat) and the dragon amulet.

Yeah I only had one go at melee 10. I thought I would be able to use dragon heat to regain health but it wasn't the case as upgrades must be minimal for that level. I continued with the stage anyway just to use it as experience for when I try tomorrow. Learned that rush hammering is best for the big guy just before the Sera fight, I just need to get to him and beat him with more health next time. 

14 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah I only had one go at melee 10. I thought I would be able to use dragon heat to regain health but it wasn't the case as upgrades must be minimal for that level. I continued with the stage anyway just to use it as experience for when I try tomorrow. Learned that rush hammering is best for the big guy just before the Sera fight, I just need to get to him and beat him with more health next time. 

In stage 10 you don't have any upgrades, that's why the healing doesn't work =/ 

On Kashiwagi as soon as I triggered his battle I ran to the left, grabbed one of the chairs and did a heat action on him, then just used the remaining chairs to do more damage (using beast style) and finished him off with brawler. On Sera I actually didn't have any strategy except using whatever objects I could find in beast mode lol, heat actions also help alot there.

In melee stage 10, for Sera final boss fight  I can suggest using Rush style at the beginning to hit one of the normal enemies a few times and build up the heat action gauge. When ready for use, run and evade the enemy on the left then go to the back of the garden and change to Beast or Brawler style. Grab one of the lanterns and wait for Sera to approach then use heat action to do damage. Go back to Rush style to quickly evade Sera then run up to one of the two enemies and hit them a few times to build up the heat action gauge. Go to the back once again near a lantern. Change to Beast or Brawler style then grab another lantern and wait for Sera. Perform another heat action and repeat.       

Btw congrats on the plat kanzenchaos

Edited by fantrig99

27 minutes ago, fantrig99 said:

In melee stage 10, for Sera final boss fight  I can suggest using Rush style at the beginning to hit one of the normal enemies a few times and build up the heat action gauge. When ready for use, run and evade the enemy on the left then go to the back of the garden and change to Beast or Brawler style. Grab one of the lanterns and wait for Sera to approach then use heat action to do damage. Go back to Rush style to quickly evade Sera then run up to one of the two enemies and hit them a few times to build up the heat action gauge. Go to the back once again near a lantern. Change to Beast or Brawler style then grab another lantern and wait for Sera. Perform another heat action and repeat.       

Btw congrats on the plat kanzenchaos

Thanks, and congrats to you for doing it too.

This Sera strat is good as well, but I might add you need to be fast in between building up heat and actually doing the heat action, when I tried I always ran out of enough heat to do it lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

Thanks, and congrats to you for doing it too.

This Sera strat is good as well, but I might add you need to be fast in between building up heat and actually doing the heat action, when I tried I always ran out of enough heat to do it lol

Yeah I noticed that last night. I would have actually done it on my first attempt but when I built up the heat and picked up the latern, by the time Sera got to me I lost heat and he kicked and finished me. 

Will have a go at it later. The climax battles on this game were so tedious when compared to Zero's and it really destroyed the fun. 

If I had to rate them so far it would be...

Zero

Graphics: 7/10 - Nice cutscenes but actual game graphics are very dated. 

Mechanics and controls: 6/10 - Great amount of fighting moves but the controls are kinda clunky and the block and targeting system is very broken.

Features and Extra: 8/10 - Whilst the completion grind was tedious, the actual amount of content and the way it was released throughout each stage was the best I've ever seen in a game. 

Story: 7/10 - Incredible in places, laughable in others. But overall it was great. 

Kiwami

Graphics: 6/10 - The cutscenes are ok but things like exteriors and interiors were pretty lifeless and extremely bland. 

Mechanics and controls: 6/10 - No change from using Zero's engine. 

Features and Extras: 5/10 -  Less than what appeared in Zero yet twice as horrible to grind. 

Story: 3/10 -  Ok in places, laughable in others, painful to endure in some parts due to how bad it was written. 

I think Zero spoilt us mostly because of how incredible Majima was. Kiryu is your typical boring hero with conflicted morals due to bad writing. If he's Yakuza, let him be aggressive, let him be intelligent, don't cower out of it by trying to make him some sort of holy crusader with his cheesy morals and opinions. 

But whats even more worrying is that the die-hard Yakuza fans rated Kiwami 2/Yakuza 2 as having the worst story in the series. I saw on the net that most fans seemed to have rated Yakuza 5 has being the very best experience all round. 

EDIT

Just had another go. Did very bad this time. Heat ran out just as I entered the mansion so that guy attacked me as I was picking up the chair. Lost too much energy so quit out. Cannot even bare to try again yet. Will have another go in the week. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

Just 4 more goes of melee 10 and all had the same result. Losing too much energy to the mansion boss as soon as you enter. Unlike other enemy AI you cannot spin around him when he is in a combo as he auto-turns any direction. He can also 1-hit stun you which then results in him draining your energy. It seems my first go yesterday was m best attempt because now I cannot get any further. 

Kanzen....

It might be worth doing a bit of homework on Kiwami 2 my mate. It seems its not only the least popular from gamers opinion, but also the lowest selling Yakuza game to date. 

EDIT

Had one last go at melee 10 and did it.... but only just. Beat the mansion boss with ease once I realised when you can and cannot attack. Got to Sera with loads of health but then got hit when going for a weapon special attack. This resulted in me having to chip away at his health making next to no damage. I then thought f**k it as I had next to no health and so went into beat mode and luckily got 3 hits with the lantern to finish him off. 

Had a go at ultimate 1. Destroyed the first guy with the sumo chop,then on the next round dodged to build up heat to use the beat grab and whirl attack. Got hit though when holding someone and the lead boss just didn't stop attacking, couldn't block, couldn't dodge, couldn't change style. Lost that so tried again. Same thing happened. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

8 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

But whats even more worrying is that the die-hard Yakuza fans rated Kiwami 2/Yakuza 2 as having the worst story in the series. I saw on the net that most fans seemed to have rated Yakuza 5 has being the very best experience all round. 

I know you're just venting (at length) and I've been trying to ignore your posts, but I can't let this pass.

Among die-hard fans, Yakuza 2 has long been considered to have the best story in the series.

10 minutes ago, cckerberos said:

I know you're just venting (at length) and I've been trying to ignore your posts, but I can't let this pass.

Among die-hard fans, Yakuza 2 has long been considered to have the best story in the series.

No mate not at all. 

If I'm honest it was actually the trailer for Kiwami 2 which I first saw of the series and its what made me look into the franchise. Thats when I found out about Zero and now we are here. So no one more than me was surprised at the news of how it failed for fans and sales.

The only reason I am not buying Kiwami 2 anymore is because the story will be dated like Kiwami 1, and lets face it the same cities, the same grind, the same mini-games (though K2 does have some new ones). But thats not why I said the story was crap. If you do look around the net you will see many slate Kiwami 2/Yakuza 2 for its story. Its also stated as the worst selling of the series. Not making this up to slate the series, I think my hatred of Kiwami suggested that in early posts for me. 

I vent when something drives me nuts, as in most of the time venting at myself for screwing up so much. But I also think my hatred for the game is just. Its a grind fest, and if you weren't going for the plat then the game would be much worse. 

I did all the climax stuff. Now saved at chapter 4 on legend. Will be back to vent when I have to replay chapter 9 or whatever the driving level is, over and over and over again. 

Kanzen.....

Yeah I don't know why I did so bad against Nishki. On my second go I destroyed the fool without losing much health. Loving the war god amulet for legend though, get to see loads more juicy heat moves now haha. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage