Taking shots at Resistance 3 and Kevin Butler

Dreakon139

Resistance 3 was the first title to run shortly after Kevin's impressive LLP launch video, so with a few million eyes looking at gaming's most influential fake CEO, sales must be booming, right?

Disappointed gamers that have picked up the title citing issues with online play tend to throw out the excuse that a lack of support has resulted in R3's poor sales, but has that stopped Dead Island from topping the charts? Even looking aside from the fact that Dead Island was a multi-platform launch, the game still almost broke R3's first week on the PlayStation 3 alone (223,899 units vs 274,051) based off of a viral video shown months before launch was even confirmed. Dead Island also has yet to launch in Japan, whereas Resistance 3 has already been released worldwide.

If Deep Silver can release the wrong version of Dead Island, riddled with bugs and game-breaking occurrences and still sell well despite all those setbacks, then I can only assume that the issue here isn't a matter of quality. Resistance 3 has even scored better from publications all over, so taking those issues into mind, there isn't a single reason that the game should be doing as poorly as it is.

Source: http://www.gamingunion.net/news/adams-rant-resistance-3-sales-prove-kevin-butler-still-a-bad-salesman--6444.html

Is Kevin Butler losing his iron grip on the PS3 community, or are the two (KB and Resistance sales) completely unrelated making the writer look like he is grasping at straws because of some personal agenda?

Or is it somewhere in between?

I see why he's comparing R3 to Dead Island, but maybe people are getting bored of FPS and Dead Island seems like a breath of fresh air to those people. I don't think R3 was marketed enough to be honest, I didn't see a lot of advertisements for the game and few people were talking about it.

I think the biggest contribution to the lack of sales for R3 is this fall's game releases. With games such as Skyrim, Rage, Battlefield 3, MW3 etc. coming out, it's hard to miss this game and a lot of people are saving their cash for these games instead. For example, take a look at Driver: SF, that game hasn't been talked about much. I haven't heard many talking about it, yet it's a very popular series that was just rebooted, and from what I've seen, reviews weren't exactly rubbish either, but I've yet to play the game myself.

The thing with KB's advertisements are that they're for comedy, a lot of people will just laugh and only some will look up said game being advertised. I think it was mentioned in the article but KB's advertisements are definitely much more effective when it comes to advertising consoles and peripherals. With games, the footage itself isn't getting showcased enough, rather KB just throwing insults and jokes around.

In short to that last paragraph, I don't think the KB advertisement hurt it at all, it added comedy to ad breaks which are god awfully boring, it just didn't showcase the game enough to make people want to look it up.

i think not, after all, R3 was kind of leading the holiday season, and with all these games that are all very big names, most likely people will be choosy over games. Sure, you can buy a lot, but some people (like me) don't have the money to buy every last game they want in the next few months new, they have to wait for a price drop or until they make enough money for it, that is what i think the issue is.

Also, while they try to shrug off the fact that R3 isn't multi-platform but DI is, and still say its bad is in my opinion bullshit. Most people either have a 360, and both a PS3 and a 360, as opposed to just a PS3 and such i'm afraid, so R3 being exclusive does hurt the sales since it isn't the widely-used (but shitty) 360.

Final point: the games just came out. If BF3 and MW3 both came out same day, and it turns out that (im flipping a coin on this, not a fan of either so suck it up) BF has a game-breaking gltich and the online is highly buggy, and (somehow) MW3 really pulls through. yea, at release they'll be even cuz it has yet to be talked about from friend to friend, but in a few weeks, BF3's sales will stay at a low number, and MW3's will skyrocket. Smae thing here, give it a month or two, and R3 will more than likely have more copies sold

Summarily: the author is an asshole :)

...oh, and just saw Sly's thread bout how game threads do not belong here, I'd suggest moving it to the game's forum to avoid angering him :P

...oh, and just saw Sly's thread bout how game threads do not belong here, I'd suggest moving it to the game's forum to avoid angering him :P

Kevin Butler's a game? :)

The article is just as much about him as Resistance 3 (if not the actual topic at hand, R3 is just the example used to "prove he's a bad spokesperson"), with even a little Dead Island sprinkled in there for good measure. If we start moving threads at the simple utterance of a games name, nothing will be posted in the general PS3 forum.

Kevin Butler's a game? :)

The article is just as much about him as Resistance 3 (if not the actual topic at hand, R3 is just the example used to "prove he's a bad spokesperson"), with even a little Dead Island sprinkled in there for good measure. If we start moving threads at the simple utterance of a games name, nothing will be posted in the general PS3 forum.

well, id say this does kind of associate with R3 in that its about the sales figures of the game, DI is only compared to make it look worse, and that while KB is a part of it, it just seems to go in that subforum. if the article talked moreso about DI or Kevin Butler then itd make sense, but mainly its focused on R3 and the sales of the game, not the others

I still think that it's mainly about Kevin Butler, considering it's an article geared towards proving how he's a bad salesman. Resistance 3's just happened to be that "proof". Either way, I've explained my reasoning for keeping the thread here. If Sly or E_P want to move it, they can and will... and it'll be a valuable lesson for me.

Back on topic time, yeh?

I still think that it's mainly about Kevin Butler, considering it's an article geared towards proving how he's a bad salesman. Resistance 3's just happened to be that "proof". Either way, I've explained my reasoning for keeping the thread here. If Sly or E_P want to move it, they can and will... and it'll be a valuable lesson for me.

Back on topic time, yeh?

wait wait wait, one more thing :P i just thought: since we had to be given the ability to close threads....can we move them also?

Kevin Butler's promotion obviously isn't hurting Resistance 3 sales, but it isn't helping much either. Not nearly as much when compared to Dead Island's trailer. That was something that put you in this mood and really feel something. It was so cool that you wanted to show all of your friends the trailer. With a comical promotion like the one geared for Resistance 3, it's not going to be as effective. A laugh is something you can just shrug off pretty much right after it's over. Nothing worthy of showing to anyone else. Just as well, comedy is done all the time, so only the really funny stuff is going to get passed around. I also feel that the emotion you get from the Dead Island trailer is much more universal, whereas humor differs much more between people.

I don't think the KB commercial really hurt Resistance but in terms of the ones he's done. The R3 was one of the worst in my opinion. Now as for the Dead Island trailer. That was brilliant. It caught everyone's attention and made them interested in finding out more about the game. I'd even rate it better than Mad World Gears of War commercial from back several years ago.