Mini trophy guide

Spinosaurus Rex

I'd like to start a mini-trophy guide series to more obscure games that are neither available here nor on playstationtrophies.org. I hope it helps anyone who considers to buy and complete this game make up his/her mind.

Super Life Of Pixel is updated re-release of "Life of Pixel", game released in 2014 on PC and 2015 on WiiU. It's somewhat fun, classic-to-the-pain platformer which takes a lot from 80' and 90' games, so challenge is to be expected. Gameplay feels more like the games from that genre (longer and easier levels) than modern platformers like Super Meat Boy (shorter and harder levels). Expect many fake difficulty gimmicks like lack of indicator where spikes protrudes (what is basically guaranteed death on your first playthrough of the level), random enemy movement or being unable to backtrack in some levels, requiring you to restart the level if you forgot to collect any gem.

Difficulty: 6/10 (personal estimate)
Time to 100%: ~15h

Step 1: Complete all levels, collect all special pickups, fruits and gems with "respawn collectables for hardcore" option enabled.

Completing the game is very demanding in terms of patience, but when you manage to complete all levels, you're basically ready to platinum the game. The reason of this is lack of checkpoints in levels (you need to collect all gems to open the exit, and all of them are lost upon death). While several first levels takes less than minute to complete, the later can take several minutes to complete and half of hour to learn. Completing 40 levels in hardcore isn't so daunting because in order to complete a level, you cannot die anyway, and most gems and fruits aren't hard to collect without dying. You'll earn most of the trophies here. Preferably start with chapter 3 (ZX Spectrum), as you'll get Jump Boots in level 3-6, which grants double jump and it's immensly helpful in most levels.

Step 2: Grind levels to have overall time under 3 hours.

There are 116 stages of various length, and after completing all stages you need to grind some of them and cut your best time to minimum. It's not so bad, as this time is very forgiving.

Step 3: Clean-up (unlikely)

Additional info:

• There was an update of steam version of the game in 2018 which shuffled fruits locations in Steam version and most guides became obsolete; however, there's a playlist by LeFreeque on Youtube [link] which covers actual location of every collectible.
  • There's annoying in-game glitch: when you mistakenly press the square before picking up a bomb, you won't be able to carry it because Pixel will immediately put it down. Level will be unbeatable and you need to exit to menu to stop this strange "auto-fire".

List of trophies and a bit of information about them:

• Colour! (Experience colour for the first time)
  • Flick Screen Levels (Experience flick screen levels)
  • Smooth Scrolling! (Experience smooth scrolling!)
  • Parallax Scrolling! (Experience parallax scrolling!)
  • Higher Resolution (Experience higher resolution pixels)
  • Variable Height Jumping (Experience variable height jumping)
  • Multi-Layer Parallax Scrolling! (Experience multi-layer parallax scrolling)
  • Lots More Colour! (Find lots more colour)
  • Floppy Disks! (Find a floppy disk machine)
  • Bye Bye Colour Clash! (Say goodbye to colour clash!)
  • PC Colour (Experience PC colour)
  • 32-Bits! (Experience 32-bits)

These trophies are unlocked by just starting a level in corresponding console. I can't remember when are they unlocked exactly, but they're unmissable and you'll definitely get them on your way to platinum. Some of them (like PC Colour and 32-Bits) are unlocked in special stages which are unlocked by collecting console pickups in selected levels (more about them below, where fruit pickups are described).

-----------------------------------------------

• ZX81 Appreciation (Collect all ZX81 special gems)
  • ZX Spectrum Appreciation (Collect all ZX Spectrum special gems)
  • C64 Appreciation (Collect all C64 special gems)
  • A2600 Appreciation (Collect all A2600 special gems)
  • BBC Appreciation (Collect all BBC special gems)
  • CPC464 Appreciation (Collect all CPC 464 special gems)
  • GameBoy Appreciation (Collect all GameBoy special gems)
  • NES Appreciation (Collect all NES special gems)
  • APPLEII Appreciation (Collect all Apple II special gems)
  • Amiga Appreciation (Complete all Amiga levels)
  • AtariST Appreciation (Complete all Atari ST levels)
  • Mac128k Appreciation (Complete all Mac 128k levels)
  • Master System Appreciation (Complete all Master System levels)
  • Mega Drive Appreciation (Complete all Mega Drive levels)
  • MSX Appreciation (Complete all MSX levels)
  • PCCGA Appreciation (Complete all PC CGA levels)
  • PCEGA Appreciation (Complete all PC EGA levels)
  • PSX Appreciation (Complete all PSX levels)
  • SNES Appreciation (Complete all SNES levels)
  • 8-bit Hero (Complete all 8-bit machines)
  • 16-bit Champ (Complete all 16-bit machines)
  • Special Champ (Complete all Special Collection machines)
  • Pixel Legend (Complete all regular levels)

These trophies are unlocked when you complete all 116 levels and collect all 72 special gems. It's best to go for special gem, fruit (if available) and console pickup (if available) in one go to save time, which are also covered in playlist posted above. And also, try to collect them without dying in order to earn Hardcore trophies. To unlock later stages, you need to collect gems/enough fruits from earlier levels. Special note about "PSX Appreciation" - console in question is actually Sega Saturn, not PSX, and to unlock it, you need to collect all CD pickup in all 10 special levels - location is covered in the videos.

--------------------------------------------

• Cocktail (Collect 10 fruits)
  • Salad (Collect 25 fruits)
  • Super Juice Legend (Collect all fruits)

Fruits are another collectable and they take form of, well, mostly fruits, but also other edible food. For the sake of usefulness, I'll write down information which level contains which pickup (taken from accurate Steam guide by Adelion).

F - fruit, SC - special console.

Atari 2600: 3xF in stages 4, 5, 7.
ZX Spectrum: 6xF in stages 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8; 1xSC in stage 2
BBC Micro: 4xF in stages 2, 4, 5, 6
CPC464: 6xF in stages 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8; 1xSC in stage 3
Commodore 64: 7xF in stages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8; 1xSC in stage 7
Game Boy: 5xF in stages 3, 4, 5, 6, 7; 1xSC in stage 8
NES: 7xF in stages 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8; 1xSC in stage 2
SNES: 4xF in stages 1, 2 , 4, 6; 1xSC in stage 1
Amiga: 6xF in stages 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8
Apple II: 2xF in stages 2, 3
Master System: 6xF in stages 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

To sum it up, there's 56 fruit collectibles and 5 console pickups.

• Hardcore (For 10 levels, collect fruit, special pickup and complete level in the same attempt)
  • Super Hardcore (For 20 levels, collect fruit, special pickup and complete level in the same attempt)
  • Mega Hardcore (For 40 levels, collect fruit, special pickup and complete level in the same attempt)

In the same attempt means: Collect all these things in one go and don't die in a single level and you're good. Don't worry about dying while completing 40 levels in a row. Unfortunately, while there's 56 fruit pickups in the whole game, there's exactly 40 levels which contains fruit AND special gem (console pickup doesn't count), the ZX Spectrum being worst of them all. Again, look at the playlist posted above.

• Speed runner champ (Overall best time less than 3 hours)

Self-explanatory: Sum of your time must be lesser than 3 hours. It's a cakewalk after the torment you had to suffer. Be sure to check the time only after you complete all levels. Your actual time is present in Stats menu. Check your time on specific levels on leaderboard and see where you can cut off most time - the longer the level, the better. If trophy don't want to pop, reset the game or complete any short level.

• Arcade Champ (Total play time over 2 hours)
  • Determined (Retry 20 times in a row on the same level)
  • Beam Me Up (Teleport for the first time)
  • NOOB (Die 50 times)
  • Spring Loaded (Perform 500 jumps)
  • Profesor Pixel Pal (You have just met Professor Pixel for the first time)

These are rest of the trophies, and I think they don't need explanation (press square button to talk to professor).

I think that's enough. Maybe someone go through my scribble and make some use of it.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex
I've decided to lower difficulty rating from 7 to 6 and added info about Jump Boots in roadmap
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 28.1.2019 at 3:18 AM, Spinosaurus Rex said:
  • Hardcore (For 10 levels, collect fruit, special pickup and complete level in the same attempt)
  • Super Hardcore (For 20 levels, collect fruit, special pickup and complete level in the same attempt)
  • Mega Hardcore (For 40 levels, collect fruit, special pickup and complete level in the same attempt)

In the same attempt means: Collect all these things in one go and don't die in a single level and you're good. Don't worry about dying while completing 40 levels in a row. Unfortunately, while there's 56 fruit pickups in the whole game, there's exactly 40 levels which contains fruit AND special gem (console pickup doesn't count), the ZX Spectrum being worst of them all. Again, look at the playlist posted above.

Cheers man first thanks for those information. I have a question. I do not understand this sentence. "In the same attempt means: Collect all these things in one go and don't die in a single level and you're good. Don't worry about dying while completing 40 levels in a row." What exactly does this mean? Am i allowed to die or not? 

Do I need to play 40 fucking levels without failing once?? Can I backup the save to a cloud? 

Any information would be helpful. 

On 29.03.2019 at 10:45 AM, NathanDarko said:

Cheers man first thanks for those information. I have a question. I do not understand this sentence. "In the same attempt means: Collect all these things in one go and don't die in a single level and you're good. Don't worry about dying while completing 40 levels in a row." What exactly does this mean? Am i allowed to die or not? 

Do I need to play 40 fucking levels without failing once?? Can I backup the save to a cloud? 

Any information would be helpful. 

I hoped it'll be clear, it seems my english is not sufficient enough...

You are not allowed to die within a level (you must get every collectable except console: fruit, all crystals and special gem and finish the level without dying)

You are allowed to die between levels - as long as you see icon of Pixel wearing sunglasses near the thumbnail of level, you're done with this particular level and it'll never reset.

Just remember to enable option "Respawn collectibles for hardcore" in options menu.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex

@NathanDarko

Yeah you can die as many times as you’d like!

You need to complete the 40 levels that have gems, special gems, and the special collectible item. So.. if you find all the gems in a single level and finish it without dying, it will not count toward the 40. Each level is separate from each other. So collect all the things in the applicable levels and you’ll get the hardcore completion. After you get a feel for the level (and figure out where all the deals are) you shouldn’t have much problem with it!

As Rex said, if you see the little “hardcore” guy with the glasses next to the level in level select, that means you completed the level hardcore. 

Edited by slammajamma28

Haha yes guys, thx. I totally overseen this green symbol that indicates that you already finished a level. I misunderstood this part so i assumed i had to finish 40 levels in a row = ) my goodness this would've been insane.

Yes, it''s totally doable and lots of fun. Some levels are just way too long imo. nevertheless the idea is hilarious. Thx for your reply guys :-)