How accessible is Dead or Alive 6?

Maahniac

I've always played the Tekken games, and only very shortly played a Dead or Alive game on PS1 and one on PS2. I remember that I had no clue what I was doing, as the controls were clearly completely different from Tekken. 

But I want to get my hands on a new fighting game, and I'm kind of attracted to the idea of learning the gameplay, characters etc. of a different fighting game series.

Can someone give me an idea of how Dead or Alive differs from Tekken, so I'll know the basics of the game? Like, the core idea of how to play it? 

The main gameplay difference would be the rock-paper-scissor gameplay mechanics (punch/kick beats grabs, grabs beats holds, holds beats punch/kick, well, in concept, in practice isn't that straightforward) and the 3d movement is full 3d like Soul Calibur. 

The game is much easier to get into then Tekken, and it's by far the easiest DoA plat. 

I'm not even sure if they made the gameplay easier, since I  had to try several characters on DoA5 LR to find an easy one for Challenges, but in this one, I was able to do all Christie's Challenges without much trouble at all (I didn't do so well with her on DoA5 LR challenges).

Thanks for your reply! What is the difference between grapples and holds? This might be a complicated answer, but in a nutshell?

Do you know if the game will receive DLC with trophies (I hate that)? Is Tecmo known for doing that, with their games?

On 3/16/2019 at 5:22 AM, Maahniac said:

Thanks for your reply! What is the difference between grapples and holds? This might be a complicated answer, but in a nutshell?

Do you know if the game will receive DLC with trophies (I hate that)? Is Tecmo known for doing that, with their games?

Grapples are throws and holds are like attack reversals in Tekken. The game basically revolves around trying to outguess your opponent. For example, if you think they are going to try a hold, you can stop a string to throw them and it will do a lot more damage than a regular throw would.