Question about levels

DrakeHellsing

A question I have.  In regards to the guide, it says bosses are recommended levels, my question is in regards to that in particular.  Each time you level up, you get to pick the things you wish to level up granted you have enough souls for each level.  Does something else also level up on the side as well? Say, you take less damage, or you do a bit more damage or anything like that?

Because if that is not the case, then why the recommended levels? Just curious is all if there's something I'm missing.  As I attempted Vordt yesterday, did not beat him yet, but I am about level 12-15 (can't recall which).  But I can't really see what being a recommended level actually does is all, especially if all that means is that you have a few better stats in whichever you pick.

• 4 weeks later...

bit late but i only just actually got an account for this site but uh, while personally i think having "recommended levels" in a souls game is someone odd, any level you give does up your defense a bit i believe, i could be thinking of bloodborne, but, if you raise a level every single thing that gets raised by that will show on the right side

The reccommended level in dark souls only is required if you want to use the multiplayer aspect (either Co-op or Invade). You can do the whole game at SL1 , nobody would stop you xD 

If you want a small quick tutorial for what each stat does I slapped some short explanation under the hidden section(for better formating)

Spoiler

Once you get enough souls you can level up one of your attribute ,true, each of them impact your build as follows :

Vigor - increases your HP plain and simple. There are thresholds, if you reach certain Vigor stat levels you get less HP increase.Best to level up to 50, from that point onwards it gives very few points and it's not worth it.

Attunement : Gives you FP (mana) and how many spells you can carry at a time. Of course level this up if you are a mage

Endurance : Gives you stamina (VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT STAT). Best to level it up to 40 ,after that you get diminishing returns. It also gives you 1.1 lightning defense, 0.4 in other defenses, 0.2 in all resistances. Doubt anyone cares about those though, GET IT FOR STAMINA.

Vitality : Increases your equip load. Basically if you wanna roll with Heavy Armour and Heavy weaponry, best to pump Vitality. Also gives you some resistances.

Then you have the damage related stats: 
Strength: Extra damage for weapons that scale with STR (obviously)

Dexterity: Same but for weapons that scale with DEX

Intelligence : For weapons that scale with intelligence(duh), however: Sorceries scale ONLY with INT, pyromancies and dark miracles scale with both INT and FTH.

Faith: For weapons that scale with Faith, miracles, pyromancies,dark miracles.

Luck : This is a tricky stat. Inflicts your item discovery, Bleed buildup and damage while hollowed. Reccomend to ignore this stat on your first playthrough, after discovering the story really look into it

But yes, there is no true reccomended level for the main game experience, you could do it at any level. You could even farm until you get level 100 (for example) and two shot Vordt.

Edited by Copanele