Gamings Grumpy Grandpa Grumbling and Groans (premier edition)

Big_Daddy_Lee_68

Hello everyone and welcome to our Debut Edition. Tis I Gaming’s Grumpy Grandpa, The man older then Pong….. You know kiddies….the game in which you had two round controllers…. No we didn’t have multi buttons then…..no they weren’t wireless…. No…. will you stop interrupting so I can get on with this…..yes games sucked by todays standards….. (Sighs and waits for the interruptions to stop) Yes I come from a time when gaming was true gaming….dead meant dead…game over and no starting where you left off…. I am here today to………. No not to say who’s inheriting my game collection, ……why would you say something like that…….yes I’m old but I am not dead yet….I’m here today to impart one man’s wisdom upon the masses…..

Let me begin by saying Bio ware did it right in the Mass effect series. And no I am not talking about the original ending, though they got that right to BEFORE the whiners got their remake. I mean come on people I know we get attached to our characters but it was evident to even this old geezer that Shepard was living on borrowed time. That though is a discussion for another day. I’m talking about their trophy system in which you had a CHOICE! You could earn a trophy by doing this task in MULTI Player OR in SINGLE player…..  No FORCING multiplayer down a person’s throat, no 90% completion rate and unattainable platinum for the non-internet community.  I’m an OLD Gamer; hence for me gaming to me is about beating the Game, not a bunch of people. Not listening to a bunch of brat’s left at home un supervised by mommy and daddy thinking it’s cool to cuss every other word. Or Spawn camp, or generally ruin everything fun about the game. Not to mention the waste of Lipton’s good product…. What do you mean, what do I mean. I mean the fact I prefer my teabags in the container on the porch making sun tea, not carrying them around to put on someone’s face….huh……why you shaking your head????....(Listens….frown comes over his face) …. That’s just….just ….disgusting…..

Sorry, had to go shower after hearing that, felt so dirty.  As I was saying, for me playing a game is about my enjoyment, not about having it ruined by what seems to be a Generation lacking respect for other gamers. I deal with enough Idiots out in the real world and would prefer not to have to deal with them in my down time. I liked the fact bioware realized that in their series and at least at first made it possible for a person to Plat however they choose to.  I know there are people out there that love multiplayer gaming, My youngest is one of them…and hey more power to you…but that simply isn’t my cup of tea. I just don’t appreciate the fact it seems that developers are forcing something down our throats and that if we don’t participate in it we’re penalized by being unable to get the plat we are pursuing. I wish more companies would follow the model of allowing the gamer the choice of how their plats…

Now has come the time for the mailbag….let’s see what today’s questions bring….

Dear Grumpy Grandpa, You consider yourself a professional gamer…what is your favorite controller to use ???

One that is charged, have you ever tried playing with and uncharged controller….good way to constantly die.

Dear Grumpy grandpa, I was considering getting playstation plus, is it really worth it?? I don’t think it is fair that they are requiring it for multiplayer on PS4.

(Blinks, Blinks again) Seriously???  I realize the younger generation seems to be more brain-dead than ever before, but have they lost all common sense.  Before I address the question that baffles me, let me address the second half.

Sony at least hasn’t sugarcoated or attempted to hide their reasoning in this regard. Their President was very straight forward and even blunt when asked why they were doing this. Money! Running the servers, maintaining the servers and adding servers is an expensive undertaking and they needed to offset the cost. Pure and simple basic mathematics.

Now, back to the brain-dead question of is it worth getting ps+? That to me should be a no brainer, especially for those with Vita or psp. All but 3 of my Vita games are from ps+. Only have a PS3, take a look at the past few month’s recent releases. Almost all releases are top notch games; all costing you less than getting a single  #1 Meal at McDonald’s a month.  Add to that the fact that it will carry over to PS4 also….yeah I’s say it’s a good deal.

Well that’s all Kiddies for now.  However I do have one thing I wish to say on a serious note. I know we have a lot of members here in the armed forces, several whom currently serving their terms overseas. To those individuals I want to send out a heartfelt thank you from a former service man. The work you do, the sacrifices you make is appreciated by those of us in the Grumpy household. May the great spirits of old watch over and protect you.

Coming up future issues:

Assassin’s Creed: Lost in the Forrest…

Saint’s Row, To over the Top???

Grand theft auto, an old man’s reflection….

( If you took offense to things I said, let me remind you there is an exit button. The views stated here are simply my own and not a reflection of anyone else or this website. Grumpy Grandpa’s writings are done in a satirical manner and our done simply to make us pause and laugh at ourselves as we take a break. If you’d like to see more Grumpy Grandpa ramblings let me know and I’ll try to oblige.)

Oh one last thing....

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

Edited by Big_Daddy_Lee_68
  • Like 3

I take too much offense to your spelling, grammar and arbitrarily centered alignment to read the vast majority of what you typed.

Spell checked before I posted, spelling mistakes, then blame word 10 for not catching them. Center alignment, felt it was easier to read that way, though will edit to change it. Grammer. Well sorry you don't like it but what do you expect from a 7th grade drop out. Sucked at english, math was always my best subject...

Anyone else have anything constructive to add ???

From one grandpa to another,you have good reasons to be grumpy.Very interesting comments. 

Nice of you to share you're points of view.Keep them coming. :hmm:

Maybe you could be PSNP site Anne Landers.(younger generation wouldn't know about her). 

Edited by SuppperBeee
  • Like 1

I've only played ME3 but from what I understand you have the choice to either play online or use download some kind of iOS app, which isn't a choice at all for an apple boycotter like myself. Not that I mind, I have no problem with MP. I don't really get the distinction that old games weren't about MP. You even talked about using 2 controllers when playing Pong. The only thing that has changed is the games have gone online.

I certainly don't feel like MP trophies means it's being shoved down my throat or that I'm being penalized if I chose not to participate. I never had the trophy in the first place so how am I being penalized? It's like saying the game developers are penalizing you any time they put something in the game you don't personally want to do. I don't like collectible trophies, but I never once felt like I was being penalized by them being in the game.

Edited by lporiginalg

He's talking about the fact that if devs put multiplayer trophies in the game then your being forced (in a way) to play multiplayer IF YOU WANT THE PLATINUM, which people sometimes do. I agree fully with that, BUT remember, everyone has a different opinion. Evidently, yours is that you ignore parts of games you don't have interest in and in that regard, don't pursue Platinums. Apologies if I'm wrong on that, I just call it like I see it.

Anyway, interesting and funny read. You should do these regularly if you get the chance. I'll certainly read them.

Well you are mistaken because actually I am victim of the OCD completionist bug where I try to get all the trophies in the games I play. The point I was trying to make is that if you say devs putting MP trophies in a game is akin to "ramming it down your throat" or "penalizing you" if you don't want to do it is just straight up silly because you could say that about ANY trophy. My example was collectibles, don't ram that shit down my throat or penalize me if I don't want to go after them. Don't penalize me by putting trophies that take more than ten hours if I don't have that much time to play. Don't penalize me by putting difficulty related trophies if I don't have the skill to earn them...etc, etc...see my point?

Edited by lporiginalg

If there are spelling errors in what I am about to write, I am sorry as I am writing this on my Vita. Actually my reference was in regards to ME 2 in which you could plat in several ways. IE level 60 single player OR level I think it was 20 Multiplayer. No additional ap was needed. Unlike ME3 before the download. You either a) took part in multiplayer or B) had to download the ap to plat. Why I stated that at least originally they had the right idea. You could accomplish your goal howeved you chose to.

I am hoping to make this a regular column as long as sly and the rest don't have any objections to it. I haven't  decided upon the frequency to which I'll be doing it just yet as I want to be sure it has substance. Well that and the fact that Grumpy Grandpa and Gracious Granny have custody of and are raising two of their grandkids ( Terible 2 and  Just turned 8 months). Hence the nickname of Grumpy for the Column thanks to lack of sleep lol.

Just so everyone is aware, I went ahead and changed my gamer tag to this one. I feel very comfortable with it. Even though it means (long sigh) I lose the 1600 trophies I have worked so hard for the past year and a half to gain. I feel it is a more fitting tag for me in regards to the many years of gaming I have left to come.More so then Big Daddy anyways since the kids have long since moved out and into their own places in the world. Not sure how this will affect my Vita collection, but oh well.

Just so everyone is aware, I went ahead and changed my gamer tag to this one. I feel very comfortable with it. Even though it means (long sigh) I lose the 1600 trophies I have worked so hard for the past year and a half to gain. I feel it is a more fitting tag for me in regards to the many years of gaming I have left to come.More so then Big Daddy anyways since the kids have long since moved out and into their own places in the world. Not sure how this will affect my Vita collection, but oh well.