Finally Onboard, Potentially Overboard...

Keybearer

Or maybe I'm just plain bored.

Hey guys,

New to the forums, although I’ve dabbled with using PSNP for signatures / footers for various geek culture-related websites just to let them know what I’m playing. I registered way back in ‘14, which is crazy to me. Found out about this place through another user’s signature, too! Looking for another way to engage fellow gamers or at least people into the same games I am.

Gotta say though, my first experience interacting with some of the faces of PSNP was not a positive one.

I would say I’m extremely green to “collecting” trophies for collecting trophy’s sake (or caring about it for that matter). I would like to ace / plat some of my favorite titles though, and I like the clean interface utilized to generate the tags I’ve been using. So, I thought I’d check out the Discord (which is what I initially do when checking out new communities these days) and had a really sour experience.

I had some pretty, self-admittedly rudimentary but fair questions starting off, which I had searched the site for prior. I didn’t find a FAQ or beginner’s guide that answered them, and, apparently, these basic questions were a good excuse for others to respond with vitriol. If my newness somehow indirectly upsets you, or you feel like you get to belittle and pick on new users because of that, then the issue’s not with me.

I hope there’s no gatekeeping here, because it’s a toxicity I want to avoid. If the guidelines of the forum are to be abided by, number 3 in this instance, then I hope I see a different side of the community. Honestly, you shouldn’t be allowing the Discord deter newer users either. That being said, I don’t make like a shrinking violet when this kind of behavior rears its ugly head, and am more than happy to call it out when people think they're above being civil.

That out of the way, I really am interested in sinking my teeth into a larger pool of the gaming community.

I would say my staples are RPGs, but I try different stuff here and there: action/adventure, shooters, platformers, and on the very rare occasion, a horror game. My favorite game is Final Fantasy IX, and I’m currently wrapping up progress with Final Fantasy XV: Comrades with a really cool community of folks.

I love concerts. I’m currently reading Words Will Break Cement: The Passion of Pussy Riot and they literally just announced a show in my hometown. Ready for the tickets to go on sale!

I’m a freelance illustrator, and I do some audio engineering on the side as well. Currently trying out guitar this semester as well and LOVING it. Hope I can find another method of study to help learn some tunes that I love as the beginner course is the only one offered at my school.

Cheers!

Edited by Keybearer

I joined back in 13 but first posted yesterday!

We seem to have some similar interests, which is always nice. I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now. I started out playing through a beginner's course. My advice after your beginner's course is to search around for resources online. There's an unbelievable amount of free information out there for guitar. A lot of the music theory I know was learned through being in band in high school, but even that is available online (which I'm assuming you already know some of this if you dabble in audio engineering).

You can find some amazing tutorials online for specific songs you want to learn too, and you're able to choose your own pace.

If you'd rather not learn from videos/reading forums I would recommend finding a tutor to teach you one-on-one. The problem with courses is that everyone learns at different speeds, so sometimes you find yourself waiting to go on to the next project.

Anyway, welcome, I hope we both enjoy our time here!

Hey welcome! Got a nice little intro there. Sorry you had go thru some nasty faces of PSNP, hopefully now will be better. But honestly just ignore the baddies.