Can I swap memory cards for different games?

Joker-Kun890

My current memory card is full so I've been playing my physical copy of Minecraft unpatched. I have a couple of other memory cards unused and would like to install the Minecraft patch onto one of those. 

Will all of my current games/saves become unusable if I swap?

Im not sure if I'm correct, but from what I've read a game/bubble will become linked to the new card only if I open the game. If I backup my save to PS+ and delete the bubble before swapping cards, will this work? 

TLDR: will the games on my current memory card still work when I swap back? Can I upload my current save to the cloud and use it with the game data on the new card? 

My understanding is that you will have to wipe your system clean and start over from scratch if you want to use another memory card, because the Vita only permits 1 active memory card per-account. The stuff in the Cloud will be fine but I can't be certain about the games which save directly to the game card.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

@HuntingFever I believe you're thinking of different accounts, not memory cards. I can swap my 2 cards without any issue (since they're bother under the same PSN).

As long as everything is all under the same PSN account, you should be able to swap cards freely (uploading your save data & downloading it again should be fine too). The patch does have to be installed on the same card as the game though, you can't have a patch on one card & the game on another, doesn't work like that. :P As for games being linked to a certain card, no, it should work just fine (for physical games at least, digital games you'll obviously have to redownload).

If you want to just make some space on your current card without deleting anything though, you can always plug your Vita into a PC & transfer some of your older games to that for storage. You can also use this method to transfer your games from one card to another.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Joker-Kun890 said:

Thanks for the replies. @Masamune I was not aware I could transfer data to cards or PC. Do you know of an instructions guide for that? I'd much rather bump everything over to my 16GB card. 

You have to download the official Content Manager app from the Sony Website and install it on a compatible computer, then hook up your Vita via USB and use the built in backup utility to copy the contents of the Memory Card over to your computer :).

• Like 2

@Joker-Kun890 Yeah, you'll need the Content Manager Assistant to do so. Once you have it installed correctly you plug in your Vita (I think you can use Wifi too, but I always go wired) &...

1. Use the Content Manager on your Vita
  2. Select Copy Content...
  3. Vita > PC...
  4. Applications...
  5. Vita
  6. Then just check the games you want to transfer to the PC

To copy them back to your system you just do the same but select PC > Vita instead. Doing this should transfer your save data too, but you may want to upload them to the cloud too just to be safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Masamune said:

@Joker-Kun890 Yeah, you'll need the Content Manager Assistant to do so. Once you have it installed correctly you plug in your Vita (I think you can use Wifi too, but I always go wired) &...

1. Use the Content Manager on your Vita
  2. Select Copy Content...
  3. Vita > PC...
  4. Applications...
  5. Vita
  6. Then just check the games you want to transfer to the PC

To copy them back to your system you just do the same but select PC > Vita instead. Doing this should transfer your save data too, but you may want to upload them to the cloud too just to be safe.

Thanks @HuntingFever and @Masamune:)

Edited by Joker-Kun890