Can you use Bernard's training to get the Fighter (100 combos) trophy?

Merco

Basically, I'm at Main Level 18 and have yet to perform a successful combo in the field, but have noticed that you can keep going back to combo training with Captain Bernard.

Having done one round of training, I've noticed that my 'combos performed' stat has gone up by 3, so can I just repeat the training to get it to 100 and get the trophy? I'm not really sure if the game counts these instances as they're not a 'proper' combat situation.

6 minutes ago, BlackTorito said:

Yes, just do other combos rather than the one he teaches you.

He will end the lesson after 2-3 mins, so you will net around 10-15 combos on each lesson.

I did the rest of my combos that way.

Thanks for confirming - I'm very glad to hear it!

The idea of combos is great, but when I'm being jumped by 5 cumans or accidentally one-shotting bandits it's a bit more difficult... 

2 minutes ago, Merco said:

Thanks for confirming - I'm very glad to hear it!

The idea of combos is great, but when I'm being jumped by 5 cumans or accidentally one-shotting bandits it's a bit more difficult... 

Yeah it’s very irritating, most of them riposte you anyway before you can complete the combos.

2 hours ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Do you have to do them continuously? (haven't played the game but planning to)

The short answer is yes - basically you need to land three-four specific (and continuous) hits on an enemy to perform a combo. The good news is that combos can really help with taking down tough enemies, and have uses to get around certain difficulties (enemies wearing helmets or full body armour etc.)

The bad news (which BlackTorito identifies) is that there are a lot of things that can interrupt your combo or make it fail, such as:

• Other enemies hitting you during the combo
  • Your target dodging
  • Your target countering your attack
  • Accidentally killing the target before the combo finishes

Don't get me wrong, the combat system is still plenty of fun even without combos, but they feel like a very fiddly addition that I'll certainly continue to struggle with.

Edited by Merco