Golf tips?

Merco

I've finished the story and am tidying up the minigames & substories, but have hit a bit of a rut (or bunker) with golf.

Does anyone have any advice to make this minigame easier? I've just about managed to make a few drives, but am still bumbling through it!

i've been doing the head math for length of drive and sticking my thumb on the screen for where i want to drop the power marker. the rough and bunker have been entirely consistent at 70% and 50%, so i'll modify the math (and subsequent thumb) dependent on the circumstance. setting power to half with triangle and hitting max shots is often easier than trying to hit something very precise though. at the very least i stick as close to the markers as possible for percentages and accuracy.

for hitting the green, short and rolling up by 15 seems to be the safest bet - 340 i'll shoot for 325, 130 i'll shoot for 115.

wind is the limiting factor there. hitting a lob in even slight headwind seems to bring the ball short by a significant amount.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Siziolvec said:

i've been doing the head math for length of drive and sticking my thumb on the screen for where i want to drop the power marker. the rough and bunker have been entirely consistent at 70% and 50%, so i'll modify the math (and subsequent thumb) dependent on the circumstance. setting power to half with triangle and hitting max shots is often easier than trying to hit something very precise though. at the very least i stick as close to the markers as possible for percentages and accuracy.

for hitting the green, short and rolling up by 15 seems to be the safest bet - 340 i'll shoot for 325, 130 i'll shoot for 115.

wind is the limiting factor there. hitting a lob in even slight headwind seems to bring the ball short by a significant amount.

Thanks for this - I'll give it a try.

I've had a few more goes at golf since the original post and my main problem is now focused on the green. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but it you over/undershoot the green it seems incredibly difficult to get from the rough to the green in a decent number of strokes due to the putter being underpowered and the other clubs being overpowered (even at half power).

I've also been having a lot of difficulty with accurate putting - there seems to be a very fine (invisible) line between the ball going in and it jumping over the hole because of too much power.

15 hours ago, Merco said:

I've had a few more goes at golf since the original post and my main problem is now focused on the green. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but it you over/undershoot the green it seems incredibly difficult to get from the rough to the green in a decent number of strokes due to the putter being underpowered and the other clubs being overpowered (even at half power).

I've also been having a lot of difficulty with accurate putting - there seems to be a very fine (invisible) line between the ball going in and it jumping over the hole because of too much power.

with that close range sand-wedge, yeah - i agree it's bs. anything over 100 is great. but the sub-100 realm is all thumb math for me.

putting too is extremely finicky. unless it's downhill i tend to just slightly go over the distance. the sectors are each 1/3 power - so if its 5m, i'll hit a halfpower putt slightly over the first bar. if it's 7-8, i'll do the same, half power between bars 2 and 3.

i feel your pain though....

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The first hole and the Par 5s are great opportunities for Eagles.

The Par 3s are big potential Bogies. Make sure you memorize how to best approach on your drive so you can at worst 2 putt it. 

If you’re putting uphill, add 2.5 yards, a quarter of 1 meter to help compensate.

If you’re chipping onto the green and the green slopes, hit it 10-20 yards short to compensate for the bounce.

Only minor tweaks for wind unless it’s red/hazardous.

Edited by Wagszilla
  • Like 1