Monster Hunter Iceborne: just can’t beat Alatreon

Hey everyone just got plat on vanilla mhw and noticed Alatreon released. So I got my long sword build and set out to fight it. Guess what happened? I failed in five minutes, fought it again same thing. From what I’ve seen most people complain about the dps check when if you don’t do enough damage it one shots you. But I can’t even get close to that stage, the damn thing two shots me almost instantly. So yeah any

tips on what build I should use? Because I’m really struggling trying to do this. Also is fighting it with four people recommended because I really don’t like relying on randoms to help because it usually goes the other way around. Here’s my build that I’m using:

Black Tornaria

Dragon Charm III

Grand God’s Peer mask B + Water Res Jewel+ 4

Grand God’s Peer Garb B + Defense Jewel+ 4, Critical Jewel 2

Garuga Vambraces B + Water Res Jewel+ 4

Grand God’s Peer Belt B + Thunder Res Jewel+ 4, Defense Jewel 1, Ice Res Jewel 1

Grand God’s Peer Feet B + Ice Res Jewel+ 4, Steadfast Jewel+ 4

So there it is don’t know if my build is awful or not. So I’m going to go and fight it some more it’s hard to read it’s moves since I only get five minutes to fight it until kills me three times this is definitely a big spike in the difficulty. Either that or I’m just bad at the game. Anyways as always any advice would much appreciated.

See ya hunters.

Quick update: Made it to that one shot move looked really cool then I was like this must be the *dies*. So I guess I’m getting better? Who knows. Update 2: I now know what people mean I just can’t do enough damage to the horns before it one shots I managed to break one but that still wasn’t enough.

Edited by a10j12
Spacing between paragraphs

Your weapon is the problem, it doesn't do enough elemental damage. You should focus in increasing the elemental damage of the weapon. Using the Velkhana or Silver Rathalos set for those elemental crits could also help.

You also should try defeating him with a partner. My easiest fight was when I had another person with me. Don't go with a full party of 4, go with a group of only 2.

Edited by KondeBra
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, KondeBra said:

Your weapon is the problem, it doesn't do enough elemental damage. You should focus in increasing the elemental damage of the weapon. Using the Velkhana or Silver Rathalos set for those elemental crits could also help.

You also should try defeating him with a partner. My easiest fight was when I had another person with me. Don't go with a full party of 4, go with a group of only 2.

I’ll give that a try, the farthest I’ve gotten is getting through his first one shot attempt. I fought him like 20 times until I gave up, half of those by myself and the other with randoms. Also do you have to use a bow gun because he switches elements? Still kind of dumb you can’t use farcaster at all to switch your weapons. I now know all it’s moves its only the one shot move that’s preventing me from beating this dragon.

Without screenshot it's hard to tell how good your build really is because we can't see your damage and defense values etc.

Get your gear to maximum defense through upgrades, you should have about 1000 defense by then.

Looking through your set decoration I'd say you depend too much on defense values. You say you can't stagger him before he does his one shot attack, so in other words you need to attack him more or boost your overall damage.

If you really want to kill him alone, you have atleast one advantage: You can die 3-4 times. If you cook Felyne Safeguard, you get one additional retry. And if you're lucky, you can cook Insurance as well. Of course, you can only get one thing before fighting Alatreon, but if you die, you're back at camp. Depending on when you die, you could cook again (I think it's after 10min) and get the other skill. Its better to cook these skills with gourmet voucher, then you get the skills 100%.

Use the grappling skill when his eye on the map is yellow, and try to do it when he's flying, it's 1000 times easier than getting him to run at one of the few walls 'cause you only need to ram him somewhere into the ground. Combine that with your temporal mantle so he can't knock you off as easily. Try mounting him if you have a weapon capable of doing jump attacks such as lance or glaive etc. but only once. I play with lance and could never mount him twice in the entire fight.

And if you manage to stagger him before his attack (you'll notice when your handler says something like 'great job containing alatreons power') remember to heal once he does his attack. I don't know how much damage the attack does if you're fighting him alone, but with 4 people the healthbooster on the ground and 1-2 mega potions are enough.

I don't have a good tip for when he's flying, I think this part of the fight is absolutely annoying if you don't have ranged weapons. But you could flash him, so he falls down. It doesn't work all the time though, sometimes he keeps flying. AND don't try a flashbomb when the eye on the map is red, it doesn't work then.

Other than that, you have to get good. It sounds bad, but Alatreon is a very strong monster, so you need to be good at the game, or have capable friends for the fight.

• Like 1