Shielded enemies (and other tips)

So how do I get past the shielded enemies? I've reached them several times and literally every time they instakill me. I can't find any information anywhere about how to tackle them. I'm taking it slow and methodical then as soon as shield enemies pop up I'm destroyed. 

I think I got it, this game seems tough so if anyone has any other tips leave them here.

So far I've found being slow and taking out all enemies being the best approach. 

Edit: Well shield enemies are still screwing me over. I literally cannot get the pet nanny for the life if me.

Edit: Got it, encountered no shield enemies on a run, well until floor 7 then immediately murdered. Luckily you keep the stuff.

Edited by aZombieDictator

Gaining power is a gradual process.  You're likely to get creamed the first few times you enter any new dungeon, because the new enemies are frequently stronger than anything you saw in the older dungeons.  And you're always going to get yourself into trouble if you try and take on too many enemies at once, if you allow yourself to be hit with certain harmful status effects -- Corrosion while you're fighting multiple enemies is particularly aggravating.  Et cetera.

Good early advice would be to craft anything and everything that you can that you have not previously crafted.  You get small (and permanent) bonuses for the first time you craft most anything, and they add up.

It can also be very helpful to do a quick dungeon run with no greater purpose than farming materials, and then killing yourself as soon as you fill your inventory.  Either to stockpile materials for later, or because you're aiming for specific materials to satisfy the previous paragraph.

• 2 weeks later...

Traps and status effects are something you more-or-less have to live with.

You're almost always going to blunder into some traps no matter what you do, because they're simply that numerous and you don't get a lot of ways to detect them.  Status effects given by enemies can be avoided to some degree if you fight those enemies in particular ways -- for example, if you can defeat the "acid bugs" with an attack that moves you (or them), you can often end up outside the cloud of Corrosion that they emit as they die.

You can mitigate negative status effects that come from usable items to a degree by only using them in relatively safe areas.  For example, if I was using a Bio Gel or a Leaky Battery to restore energy, I'd wait until I was about to go down to the next level; therefore, if I got hit with Sleep or Glitch, odds were that I could wait for it to wear off without risking an enemy wandering in.

Try not to bite off too much at once.  You can often maneuver in a way that leaves you only fighting one enemy at a time.

As for deeper layers?  I found that a good rule of thumb was to try and gain two levels per layer, something that is usually possible if you kill everything on a floor.  (Maybe leave certain enemies alone, such as the immobile but very-hard-hitting stuff if you don't have a way to kill them from a distance.)  And even then, you need not to get screwed by the RNG when it comes to the skills you can grab when you level up.  Some skills will go a long way towards helping your survivability -- one of the best is the Absorb ability (which heals you when you deal normal attack damage).

Also, don't neglect the durable bonuses that you get from crafting stuff back at base camp.  Every terrarium item will grant you a small (but permanent) bonus to your stats, and they do add up; it's useful to craft them for that reason alone, let alone because there's a trophy for creating a certain number of them.

I'm doing everything you said, being super careful and everything and I just keep losing every single time on floor 8...

Just everytime I'm doing amazing then instant killed in 1 or 2 turns.

Trying the botancial labs again and in this one i just keep losing because no batteries.

This game is just entirely 100% against me playing it... The RNG is brutal. 

Food is also extremely rare and all food i find is contaminated. 

Edited by aZombieDictator