Capturing Magic Kid Freezes the Game?!

mtlshdwoverlord7

Ok, so I'm capturing monsters I meet for the first time with my excellent supply of capture nets until I come across a Magic Kid at the bottom of the screen when playing Ramona's side of the story.  I use a capture net on it and catch it no problem.  However, when I tried to leave the screen (the border of which was a few steps below where the Magic Kid was) and the screen fades to black, like it should, but nothing happens.  I press the PS button, which confirms my suspicions that the game froze.  OK, bad luck.  I restart my PS3 and try again.

This time I figure I should do the smart thing and save right after catching the Magic Kid, so, after catching him, I attempt to save, but as the game is saving, it freezes, corrupting my save file.  At this point I'm thinking either my PS3 was overheating or I've got some shit luck today.

So I do what anyone else would do and throw my PS3 against the wall, completely obliterating it and my flat screen TV start the game again.  When the story asks you which hero(s) you want to play as, I choose Ogden first and, after some leveling and monster catching, I go to the coliseum.  At round 3, I see three floating robed monsters: A Burnoulli, an IceWizard and a Magic Kid.  I think to myself, "Great!  Now I can catch that little bastard early and not have to worry about the game screwing up later!"  So I capture it, beat the other monsters, and, after the screen fads to black.....it freezes.

At this point, I'm starting to get really confused (and somewhat irritated).  I reload my game and decide to try catching IceWizard during the battle since I hadn't gone deep into the Frost Path yet.  The game fades to black after the battle and, lo and behold, it doesn't freeze.

I can only conclude that capturing Magic Kid causes the game to freeze somehow.  Either that or Magic Kid wants nothing to do with my team.  It's a shame since he was actually my favorite monster when I played the first game...

Also, yes, I do have the 1.01 patch installed.

Has anyone else experienced a problem catching Magic Kid or any other monsters?

The game did crash a couple of times but nothing that prevented me from progressing through the game.

It's not that I can't progress through the game normally.  I can do that easily (since I never had an issue playing through Ogden's side of the story on my previous save file (the one that got corrupted)), but I can't seem to do it after catching Magic Kid because something always causes the game to freeze after I do so.

I'll admit, I don't NEED to catch him since I'm sure there are more monsters to catch that will allow me to get "You Just Gotta", but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue when it comes to catching monsters.

EDIT: I take that back.  I have reached an area where the game simply refuses to let me continue the main story.  During Anders and Woody's story, after you beat the giant robot, you go up an elevator.  I have the two robots (the one that looks like a Dalek and the other that looks like a tank) as my monster companions and, when we all go on the elevator, the screen cuts to black and freezes.

Edited by mtlshdwoverlord7

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue. I was fighting alone with Ogden in the Coliseum. One of the fights is against two other monsters and a Magic Kid. I killed the other two monsters and caught the Magic Kid with a Capture Net. The victory dialogue box came up and then the game crashed with a weird error. I wanted a decent magic users to go with my skeleton monster but I guess I'm not using a Magic Kid.

• 2 weeks later...

same thing happen to me during my gameplay in Ramona's story (played Anders/Woodsy then Ogden then lastly Ramona)...good thing I have a back up save from last savepoint of Ogden... 

What I did is leave the area... get 2 other monsters so that my party is full, return to Magic Kid and captured him successfully....no freezes...

Edited by jeieem