Wasn't a fan of this game honestly.

griffin123456789

Sucks that you didn't like it much since you seem like a fan of the show. As someone who barely knows anything about the show, do you think I'd enjoy it at all? Like does it replay moments from the show/the story like Dragon Ball Kakarot did? 

17 minutes ago, ChunkyKong64 said:

Sucks that you didn't like it much since you seem like a fan of the show. As someone who barely knows anything about the show, do you think I'd enjoy it at all? Like does it replay moments from the show/the story like Dragon Ball Kakarot did? 

Yes it does replay moments. And to be fair, a lot of cutscenes are decently written and had me laughing a couple times. But that's really all this is, a recap, and they kinda teased it'd have more to the story than that. But the difference between a Dragon Ball game playing recap and this is that Samurai Jack is a collection of different episodes that don't necessarily build on one another. You can watch any episode (except ones in the final season of course) and know what's happening even if it's your first episode ever. There's several dozen episodes to choose from and, personally, I thought they chose some pretty boring episodes to recap. The worst levels all recap the recent season 5 and have hordes of braindead enemies over and over with not so interesting environments. 

The show had episodes where he piloted giant Shogun mechs, fought robot wasps in space, traveled to a paranormal realm to fight ghosts, dressed in all white to hide in light while his opponent hid in shadows, trained a baby to be a badass, went undercover with mobsters to try and assassinate the antagonist Aku. The list goes on, here they just chose to recap random brawls with not much diversity or context to give them any variety.

Edited by griffin123456789
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, griffin123456789 said:

Yes it does replay moments. And to be fair, a lot of cutscenes are decently written and had me laughing a couple times. But that's really all this is, a recap, and they kinda teased it'd have more to the story than that. But the difference between a Dragon Ball game playing recap and this is that Samurai Jack is a collection of different episodes that don't necessarily build on one another. You can watch any episode (except ones in the final season of course) and know what's happening even if it's your first episode ever. There's several dozen episodes to choose from and, personally, I thought they chose some pretty boring episodes to recap. The worst levels all recap the recent season 5 and have hordes of braindead enemies over and over with not so interesting environments. 

The show had episodes where he piloted giant Shogun mechs, fought robot wasps in space, traveled to a paranormal realm to fight ghosts, dressed in all white to hide in light while his opponent hid in shadows, trained a baby to be a badass, went undercover with mobsters to try and assassinate the antagonist Aku. The list goes on, here they just chose to recap random brawls with not much diversity or context to give them any variety.

Ah, gotcha. I'll probably pass then. I wonder why they didn't just do a full recap like in Kakarot since a lot of that seems extremely interesting. Appreciate it!

14 hours ago, griffin123456789 said:

I'm a huge fan of Samurai Jack and I was pretty disappointed with this game. It started off with some good levels but man did those last couple levels just suck. We went from stages that tried to capture the atmosphere of the show to a bunch of lazy corridors full of waves of enemies. I also had to drop the difficulty from hard because there were just an insane amount of enemies who all had a ton of armor and would stagger you endlessly. Jack gets thrown off balance if an enemy so much as sneezes on him. It seems the A.I. just spams whatever annoying move they have constantly with no thought put into it. Sometimes you'll be up against a horde of bad guys and they take one sword swipe to kill, other times the same exact ones will take multiple combos and there's still dozens of them fighting you at once, it's dumb. There's also a ton of fights where the enemies don't compliment each other and just have you dodging endlessly doing little damage whilst dealing with annoying drones buzzing around shooting you endlessly.

It was cool they wanted to add different weapons but you have to worry about durability and some of these other weapons break after barely a couple fights. Why would I use anything other than the trademark sword then? There's also a needlessly large upgrade tree that has basic abilities to earn, half of which probably should have been just default moves. Why are there two different soul currencies to worry about as well as multiple types of gems to use to unlock these upgrades? Doesn't it seem a little overkill given how short this game is?

The final boss fight, to not spoil much, also suffered from "now you can't damage me at random moments" syndrome because the combat allows enemies to not take damage when they're in the middle of some kind of animation. I had to spam throwable weapons to win, and sadly I've seen others online rely on that to win. Really crappy note to end the whole thing on.

The fourth difficulty didn't unlock after finishing normal so I have to finish the remaining stages on hard just to get the required fourth difficulty for the trophies. After finishing the game, you unlock a boss rush mode where you, surprise surprise, deal little damage to each boss and they can stun you constantly and kill you with little room to maneuver. I suspect this mode is required to earn some kind of unlockable in order to get the platinum. God I hope not. Checkpoints in this game were already random enough as it is, don't need to worry about a one credit clear boss rush with this wonky camera and crappy enemy behavior.

Despite only being about 5 hours long, I already feel exhausted and done with this thing. This is all divorced from the fact that, as a fan, this plot does nothing for me. It literally is a waste of time. Just delaying Jack from killing Aku at the end of Season 5. No interesting introspection about what will happen to all of Jack's friends, no attempt to have an alternative ending, nothing. If you never play this, you'll not miss out on any resolution or emotional moments.

I still think Shadow of Aku on the Gamecube is the best Samurai Jack game to this day, was hoping they could do something special for this given how we got a final season after all these years. Hopefully you all find things to love about it, I really hope you do. It's nice we even got this game to begin with. But honestly, I think they could have gotten a more experienced developer to work on this. Shame they couldn't get Platinum to make it.

If you beat the game on Master Samurai difficulty you do get a different ending. All I am going to say.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GameMatter said:

If you beat the game on Master Samurai difficulty you do get a different ending. All I am going to say.

Ah... interesting. I'm halfway through on hard now. Thanks for the heads up.

Does the fourth difficulty unlock after finishing hard mode?

Edited by griffin123456789

3 hours ago, griffin123456789 said:

Ah... interesting. I'm halfway through on hard now. Thanks for the heads up.

Does the fourth difficulty unlock after finishing hard mode?

It does. I think it's gonna be relatively rough too if the first level is any indication. The enemy group comps are very different.

6 hours ago, griffin123456789 said:

How did you get the "clinch victory" trophy? My trophy list says you need to grab a boss. I have no idea how you do that.

So it is a little bit weird. I got it during the Aku City boss fight. During the fight take out the big guy first and then get the lady down to barely any health. You want to try and wait for her to go down on her knees and then THROW her using R1. I know it was a throw since it gave me her weapon once I did it. That got the trophy to pop for me. 

5 hours ago, GameMatter said:

So it is a little bit weird. I got it during the Aku City boss fight. During the fight take out the big guy first and then get the lady down to barely any health. You want to try and wait for her to go down on her knees and then THROW her using R1. I know it was a throw since it gave me her weapon once I did it. That got the trophy to pop for me. 

I did that and it didn't work for some reason! Why is the requirement so weird?

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

So I'm gonna necro this thread instead of making a new one...this is on sale at the moment, still over $20. Haven't seen it on sale before that I can recall. I watched the show as a kid but wasn't a super fan by any means. 

As someone who enjoys hack and slash and the general aesthetic of the game/show and is also big on nostalgia...is this worth it at the discount? I feel like this won't be on sale much cheaper given the higher base cost. 

Opinions? 

• 5 months later...

The game might not be so appealing at first but as you aim for the platinum trophy you begin to admire the effort made and see this as a true Samurai Jack game made by real fans of the series.To me the thing that made this game so special is the secret ending you get after you unlock Pale Rat trophy by collecting all 5o collectible Kamons. In case you missed it, I will attach it below watch and admire.