King of the Hill trophy (Challenges)

GoonerLukeThe

• 10 months later...
39 minutes ago, LukeTheGooner said:

went back to this and still can't do the challenges, anyone got any tips?

it's frustrating because I would have the plat without these challenges

Search YouTube for setups. Some are almost impossible without using them. 

• 4 weeks later...

Turn off all the assists, only wall avoidance maybe a bit, also that one gas saving challenge change to manual, completly flat line in the first corner then keep tapping R2 every 1-2 sec you should be able to make it. 

Edited by spellenboy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 24-8-2021 at 3:29 AM, LukeTheGooner said:

going to give them a quick go now

I see you did not get these done yet, so thought I'd finally chip in after doing these in an hour or two the other night. I'm not sure what your digital racing abilities are, but for me these challenges were the easiest of all of the NASCAR games that have had them (that I've done so far).

Driving aids:

First of all, you can adjust the driving aids to your liking which helps a lot. I would not recommend turning them all off, because that will make the handling on some challenges impossible with a controller. I would not turn all of them completely up either, because that will slow you down too much for all but the easiest challenges. Instead look for a happy medium that you are most comfortable with.

These are the available driving aids. I will explain a bit what they do and also what I would consider the best settings for someone who is struggling with most challenges:

1. Driving - This makes the computer determine the throttle and braking. Always keep this one at 0% because anything above it will affect your speed.
  2. Stability Help - As the name suggests, this will keep your car more or less stable depending on the percentage. You can safely put this at 100% so that you can slam the throttle and brakes as you wish without turning your car into a wobbly mess.
  3. Steering Help - You can play with this one but I recommend starting at 50% and adjusting it up and down to see what it does for you.
  4. Off Throttle and Braking Oversteer - NASCAR racing cars are very heavy and have a lot of sway, which means that they are prone to oversteering. With a good setup, a steering wheel and a lot of talent you can use that to be faster, but because we both probably lack all of those things, let's keep these ones at 100% to eliminate oversteer pretty much completely.
  5. Wall avoidance - This is the last one and I recommend keeping it at 0%. For one, it allows you to cheese a difficult challenge. But it's of absolutely no use getting slowed down when you get near a wall, just learn to let go of the gas a little sooner if this happens to you a lot :)

So as you can see, all the driving aids can safely be set on the max or min values, except one (Steering help) that you can play around with.

General tips:

1. Once you find a driving aids setting that gets you past a challenge, keep it until you run into problems again.
  2. Avoid frustration by restarting an already failed challenge with Options -> Triangle (and keep in mind that you can quickly change the driving aids here too by pressing Square).
  3. I did not adjust the setup of my car at any point by the way so the default setup is fine to use to beat all of them.
  4. Don't give up too quickly on a challenge, because you need to grind it sometimes and some of it needs a little luck too. But because they do not need to be done in order you can always skip to a different one if you're getting really annoyed.

Specific challenges:

I also have some tips for you for challenges where I deviated from the tactis mentioned in the guide at PST. Not that I really needed to look at those to beat the challenges, but I did look over them just now. So here are some specific tips that are probably easier to do then what is described there.

#4 Gassed: This one puts you on Bristol with a large lead while you're running out of fuel. My tactic is to let go of the gas a lot in the first 2 laps. On those first 2 laps, build up a little speed out of the corner until you're about halfway on the straight, then simply let go off the throttle. Keep a little speed through the turn with minimal throttle. Once the engine starts sputtering, just keep the throttle down the whole lap. With driving aids as described above, your car will not become unstable at all. If the engine shuts down completely before the final 1 or 2 corners of the race, you need to save more on the first 2 laps. Also, look in your mirrors on the final lap and be prepared to block the second place driver coming out of the final corner.

#7 Stay in the Draft: When I stayed in the draft for both laps I struggled to get close to the lead car. In the end I beat it by drafting on the first lap and making the jump just after starting lap 2. You should pick up the draft of the lead car when you get close to 200mph going into turn 1 on the final lap and clear him comfortably before the finish line.

#8 Monster Momentum: You're at the wonderful Dover Downs where you are in front of the pack with tyres that are almost dead. With 0% driving aids you can hardly make a single turn, let alone defend both grooves from the pack. So my best tip is to not even try, but cheese this one instead. Again, using the driving aids I explained above you can just keep the throttle down pretty much all the way. Creep up towards the outside wall before turns 1 and 3, start steering into the corner full lock and try to hit the wall on the outside as late as possible with the throttle still fully open. This will hardly brush of speed, but it will turn your car towards the apex again. Accelerate out onto the straight and you should still have a comfortable distance to the cars behind you. It's only 2 laps and when done right this method will hardly ever fail.

#12 Pit Gamble: I found that there is no need to pit. I got this on the first try with the driving aids as described above by just completing the laps and not making a pit stop. I even popped a tyre on the final lap but apart from losing some speed, completing the challenge was still a breeze.

#18 Out Of My Way: This is the only other challenge that took me more than 1 or 2 tries. Passing 37 cars in 2 laps is a tall order. The clue for me was to prefer the inside line for passing because it's too easy to get stuck behind other cars on the outside. If you're only about 15th going into the final corner don't restart because you can get a major draft from the pack up front and pass all of them before the finish line.

If you are struggling with a specific challenge that I did not mention yet be sure to respond here. Maybe I can also find the time to record my own solution to it. Good luck, if you can manage to give it another go I'm sure you can do it.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 2:05 AM, pinkrobot_pb said:

#8 Monster Momentum: You're at the wonderful Dover Downs where you are in front of the pack with tyres that are almost dead. With 0% driving aids you can hardly make a single turn, let alone defend both grooves from the pack. So my best tip is to not even try, but cheese this one instead. Again, using the driving aids I explained above you can just keep the throttle down pretty much all the way. Creep up towards the outside wall before turns 1 and 3, start steering into the corner full lock and try to hit the wall on the outside as late as possible with the throttle still fully open. This will hardly brush of speed, but it will turn your car towards the apex again. Accelerate out onto the straight and you should still have a comfortable distance to the cars behind you. It's only 2 laps and when done right this method will hardly ever fail.

This was the only challenge I was having trouble with. Your method saved me a ton of frustration, got it on the second attempt. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 28/10/2021 at 8:05 AM, pinkrobot_pb said:

I see you did not get these done yet, so thought I'd finally chip in after doing these in an hour or two the other night. I'm not sure what your digital racing abilities are, but for me these challenges were the easiest of all of the NASCAR games that have had them (that I've done so far).

Driving aids:

First of all, you can adjust the driving aids to your liking which helps a lot. I would not recommend turning them all off, because that will make the handling on some challenges impossible with a controller. I would not turn all of them completely up either, because that will slow you down too much for all but the easiest challenges. Instead look for a happy medium that you are most comfortable with.

These are the available driving aids. I will explain a bit what they do and also what I would consider the best settings for someone who is struggling with most challenges:

1. Driving - This makes the computer determine the throttle and braking. Always keep this one at 0% because anything above it will affect your speed.
  2. Stability Help - As the name suggests, this will keep your car more or less stable depending on the percentage. You can safely put this at 100% so that you can slam the throttle and brakes as you wish without turning your car into a wobbly mess.
  3. Steering Help - You can play with this one but I recommend starting at 50% and adjusting it up and down to see what it does for you.
  4. Off Throttle and Braking Oversteer - NASCAR racing cars are very heavy and have a lot of sway, which means that they are prone to oversteering. With a good setup, a steering wheel and a lot of talent you can use that to be faster, but because we both probably lack all of those things, let's keep these ones at 100% to eliminate oversteer pretty much completely.
  5. Wall avoidance - This is the last one and I recommend keeping it at 0%. For one, it allows you to cheese a difficult challenge. But it's of absolutely no use getting slowed down when you get near a wall, just learn to let go of the gas a little sooner if this happens to you a lot :)

So as you can see, all the driving aids can safely be set on the max or min values, except one (Steering help) that you can play around with.

General tips:

1. Once you find a driving aids setting that gets you past a challenge, keep it until you run into problems again.
  2. Avoid frustration by restarting an already failed challenge with Options -> Triangle (and keep in mind that you can quickly change the driving aids here too by pressing Square).
  3. I did not adjust the setup of my car at any point by the way so the default setup is fine to use to beat all of them.
  4. Don't give up too quickly on a challenge, because you need to grind it sometimes and some of it needs a little luck too. But because they do not need to be done in order you can always skip to a different one if you're getting really annoyed.

Specific challenges:

I also have some tips for you for challenges where I deviated from the tactis mentioned in the guide at PST. Not that I really needed to look at those to beat the challenges, but I did look over them just now. So here are some specific tips that are probably easier to do then what is described there.

#4 Gassed: This one puts you on Bristol with a large lead while you're running out of fuel. My tactic is to let go of the gas a lot in the first 2 laps. On those first 2 laps, build up a little speed out of the corner until you're about halfway on the straight, then simply let go off the throttle. Keep a little speed through the turn with minimal throttle. Once the engine starts sputtering, just keep the throttle down the whole lap. With driving aids as described above, your car will not become unstable at all. If the engine shuts down completely before the final 1 or 2 corners of the race, you need to save more on the first 2 laps. Also, look in your mirrors on the final lap and be prepared to block the second place driver coming out of the final corner.

#7 Stay in the Draft: When I stayed in the draft for both laps I struggled to get close to the lead car. In the end I beat it by drafting on the first lap and making the jump just after starting lap 2. You should pick up the draft of the lead car when you get close to 200mph going into turn 1 on the final lap and clear him comfortably before the finish line.

#12 Pit Gamble: I found that there is no need to pit. I got this on the first try with the driving aids as described above by just completing the laps and not making a pit stop. I even popped a tyre on the final lap but apart from losing some speed, completing the challenge was still a breeze.

#18 Out Of My Way: This is the only other challenge that took me more than 1 or 2 tries. Passing 37 cars in 2 laps is a tall order. The clue for me was to prefer the inside line for passing because it's too easy to get stuck behind other cars on the outside. If you're only about 15th going into the final corner don't restart because you can get a major draft from the pack up front and pass all of them before the finish line.

If you are struggling with a specific challenge that I did not mention yet be sure to respond here. Maybe I can also find the time to record my own solution to it. Good luck, if you can manage to give it another go I'm sure you can do it.

thanks for the tips (even though it's a few years later) I finally just went back to it and I'm slowly getting better :)

• Like 1