IGN - PS5 UI Does Not Have Custom Themes

MichMasteR

On 11/6/2020 at 11:18 AM, Sergen said:

I guess it makes sense why they decided to also remove buying/claiming themes from the web store too... They're forcing people who play single player games and don't wanna risk losing their progress to now buy PS+ to back up their save files. Their slogan was "for the players", is it for the players to have no option to back up your saves to a USB or any other form of offline media? Themes probably hardly made them money because I know I have never paid for a theme in my life and never would, any themes I was using were given for free but a lot of the time I also stick to the default theme without bothering to change it. However, the more I hear about the PS5, the more disappointed I am, next thing you know there will be hundreds of bug reports on games that were supposed to be backwards compatible telling us all the issues you'll face when you try to play a PS4 game on the PS5. Although I'll have a PS5, I am not against the idea of moving my platform over to PC some day and leaving PlayStation behind, I would honestly be quite satisfied to see Microsoft utilize this Bethesda deal and make an IP like The Elder Scrolls a timed exclusive for Xbox. The only things PlayStation currently do better than Xbox in my opinion are the following: exclusives and trophies are more rewarding than achievements. I do feel like Sony hasn't made a series that comes close to the influence that The Elder Scrolls has, so if Microsoft cares to do some kind of exclusivity with that franchise they'll win the next console generation.

They've been forcing online integration on players for years. The days of playing single player games on the PS2 and passing the controller along to your friends are long gone.

It all started with the Xbox 360, that was the first system to really utilize online well and it carried the first hugely successful online subscription model, Xbox Live. Before that, console gaming was for the most part solely single player. Halo 2 and Ratchet and Clank 3, both games I sunk countless hours in, offered an online mode and at that time, multiplayer was simple. Today it has expanded into a giant behemoth, forcing everybody who does single player to do some sort of online.

I don't like the direction the video game industry is taking. This is basically telling people to fuck off and force them to pay money to back up save files to the Cloud. I've done backups on the USB and on portable hard drives for years, having a physical backup is always nice. Digital is still highly volatile, much like how making money works on YouTube for partners.

Microsoft never treated their game companies all too well. Everything outside of Forza is practically dead, and you can pretty much access their library of games on the PC these days anyway, making a console purchase rather pointless. If by some miracle Bethesda does better under Microsoft, then they have a good option to go against Sony. But right now, Bethesda is a fucking mess. Their games have a long and storied history of being unfinished and full of bugs/glitches. Skyrim at times ran like utter shit when I played it on the Xbox 360.

The Elder Scrolls Online isn't enough. How well the next Elder Scrolls will do, that's anybodies guess.