Foxconn does it again

Memnoch

Article here

Basically, unpaid interns have been forced the build ps4s. Not by force obviously, but if they didn't follow orders and work lots of hours for nothing, they would lose course credits, even though building ps4 has nothing to do with their studies in the first place.

I'm not going to go on a boycott PS4 this shouldn't be allowed rage, because, whats the point? loads of consumer goods are built there or in other companies that do the same...

However, just as a quick question, how far would you personally go to make sure you can get goods as cheaply as possible ?

Edited by Duane Dibley

I found an article just like this and posted it in the CB. Mio screencapped a comment in the article that said companies that use Foxcoon. Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Nintendo (and Nokia, but nobody buys stuff from them xD ) use Foxconn, so you would have to avoid pretty much every home console if you want to boycott.

How important are course credits? I've never heard of them before...

Actually they are pretty easy to avoid if you dont use a console... And I'll repeat I'm not going down the boycott BS. Just wondering what peoples true thoughts on this kind of thing are...

I don't support this, but I don't see much point in boycotting either. One person boycotting won't make a dent in their billions of $$

And despite hwo much I don't support this, I love Sony consoles. Boycotting (if we all did it) would make a huge dent in their money, and maybe even get M$ all the sales and publicity.

My take on this is that consumers should be aware, and decide individually whether it is worth boycotting. I'm sure if every potential buyer knew, there would be a huge drop in sales.

But at the end of the day, people want entertainment, and unless you enjoy playing on a PC, you can't play games without going to an indie console, since all 3 of "The Big 3" (Reminds me of The Big 3 of Olympus) are using Foxconn.

The article I read didn't say how long this has been going on for. Just out of interest, do you have an idea?

I got into a huge debate about this with a friend of mine who posted this on his Facebook a few days ago. He went as far as to say that if you got a PS4 you would basically be supporting child labor which is ludicrous. After a lengthy debate he agreed with me and edited his original post.

All I will say are these young adults attend university and they are there of their own free will to work towards a qualification for their course. I worked in a hotel kitchen when I was 16 as part of work experience towards a course I was doing.  I worked long hours and didn't get paid but I got the qualification I wanted at the end of it and that's the point really. Either way I don't think anyone can hold Sony accountable for any wrongdoing on their part so a boycott would be stupid really.  

@buk - no idea, although foxconn are always in trouble with some human rights group. It is capitalism at its best

@skippy - the thing is, these students arent learning what they should. They are learning how to work on a production line when they are supposedly there for engineering etc.

And why does everyone keep on talking about a boycott?

now if this was just a simple work study program then there wouldnt be much of an issue here,but it seems like there is a reocurring problem with this company so its hard to say, and also to say chinese/japanese education system is very strict so unless anyone is actually there we wont know complete story