A specific game/app "killing" my ps4

VirtualNight

This is my story.

So, my ps4 is fine, occasionally a bit slow and may not open instantly a few pages in XMB, but nothing really annoying and probably most of ps4s are like that. However, I recently decided to start a game I got months ago, Deus Ex Mankind Divided as I liked the prequel on ps3.

The first thing I notice is that as soon as I launch it, it takes about 1 minute to actually start during the initial background.

Well, I start to play and after a bit I reach a big open area, and this is where I start to experience the same things I had back to the ps2 time with some games that I played for a while: game freezing for 5-30secs multiple times and NPCs getting stucked in the conversation where they keep repeating the same word over and over for half a minute.

The thing happens less likely further on in the story, so I just endured with that.

This was the first experience. Now during that, whenever I was using the XMB, it was incredibly slow, would take minutes to load something, would freeze for some seconds or give an error. This has never happened with any other game.

So, being afraid of what was going on, I decided to rush through the game, until I had to start a "MP" part. Here, no matter what, I would freeze permanently trying to access to the mode. I tried to reboot multiple times and nothing.

So I started to take into consideration some possible fixes, so I tried to:

1- rebuild the database. This made no difference.

2- initialise the ps4. I did this multiple times.

3- initialise the ps4 through the usb procedure.

None of them fixed the issue with the specific game. I did larger digital games like Elder Scroll Online or Wolfenstein 2 and had no problems.

However, let's now talk about my ps4 itself after all this mess.

After the initialisation process, it seemed to be back to normal, but whenever I tried to download again Deus Ex, the same issues occured again to my ps4, particularly I had a weird thing where my screen went suddently black, then back to normal.

Also the download bar would stop at some point with a "-" symbol saying the download is complete despite the bar not being filled at all, then followed by a freeze and a perma black screen which brought me to a forced turn off.

The turn off procedure could also take like 2 minutes to be entirely completed.

That's the matter. None of the other games gave me problems, I'm not downloading again Deus Ex and there do not seem to be issues at the moment,, maybe my ps4 became a bit slower than usual or maybe is just my imagination.

Has anyone ever experied issues with a specific digital game? what was your experience and what did you do? I think I will leave this game for much later when I get a ps5 and try it with BC.

Something similar happened ( never had the black screen) to me with another game Rainbow Six Siege. Not exactly like yours but like you the XMB and all then other menus would be really slow and holding the PS home button menu was really slow and janky and froze for about 5 seconds. On top of that the game wouldn’t load properly specifically the ui. 

Below is what happened to me after the fact but it might not be your problem  

Like you I tried redownloading only that game but to no avail. Then my hard drive crashed when it my PS4 would do infinite “don’t unplug console” menu when you turn it off. 

My advice is back up all your saves and then try downloading a bigger game and if you can try to fill you’re hard drive (if you can) to see if you have bad sectors. 

My question is when you turn off your console does it take longer than usual? And does it beep 3 times? And is Deus Ex your latest download, you can try downloading something else to see if the problem persists in that aspect. 

Edited by BestUsername----

not trying to scare anyone but i hope this isn't a faulty HDD.

this happens to me last year while playing the last of us remastered, any screenshot I saved in my Capture Gallery takes too long to shows up, menus freezing when I enter them especially the Setting of the console, and at the time I was playing Days Gone first the audio got cut during characters conversations then the music cuts out then the textures starting to get super low resolutions in parts of the world, the next day my brother turned the ps4 on and it took forever to boot up and bring the accounts on screen then it went to safe mode, no mater how I rebuild the database it won't boot up, send it for repair and it turns out my HDD have died, that was the scariest moment I got on the ps4, I didn't have cloud save so I lost all of my save files and screenshots.

6 hours ago, BestUsername---- said:

Something similar happened ( never had the black screen) to me with another game Rainbow Six Siege. Not exactly like yours but like you the XMB and all then other menus would be really slow and holding the PS home button menu was really slow and janky and froze for about 5 seconds. On top of that the game wouldn’t load properly specifically the ui. 

Below is what happened to me after the fact but it might not be your problem  

Like you I tried redownloading only that game but to no avail. Then my hard drive crashed when it my PS4 would do infinite “don’t unplug console” menu when you turn it off. 

My advice is back up all your saves and then try downloading a bigger game and if you can try to fill you’re hard drive (if you can) to see if you have bad sectors. 

My question is when you turn off your console does it take longer than usual? And does it beep 3 times? And is Deus Ex your latest download, you can try downloading something else to see if the problem persists in that aspect. 

5 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

not trying to scare anyone but i hope this isn't a faulty HDD.

this happens to me last year while playing the last of us remastered, any screenshot I saved in my Capture Gallery takes too long to shows up, menus freezing when I enter them especially the Setting of the console, and at the time I was playing Days Gone first the audio got cut during characters conversations then the music cuts out then the textures starting to get super low resolutions in parts of the world, the next day my brother turned the ps4 on and it took forever to boot up and bring the accounts on screen then it went to safe mode, no mater how I rebuild the database it won't boot up, send it for repair and it turns out my HDD have died, that was the scariest moment I got on the ps4, I didn't have cloud save so I lost all of my save files and screenshots.

I started to download a small game, everything went fine.

But then I tried some other larger games. The download stopped all of a sudden (the updates for each of those games) and every single app was corrupted afterwards, then I get a black scren.

Now it doesn't work at all, after I pick any user, I get a black screen followed by a system error.

I think initialising the ps4 again does fix this, but then the whole issue will repeat sooner while trying to download something, so I think I can only bring my ps4 to check/repair.

I do wonder: is it possible that a single game, got from ps store, has made all this mess, or was it just an coincidence that my ps4 got these issues as I started the mentioned game?

56 minutes ago, VirtualNight said:

I started to download a small game, everything went fine.

But then I tried some other larger games. The download stopped all of a sudden (the updates for each of those games) and every single app was corrupted afterwards, then I get a black scren.

Now it doesn't work at all, after I pick any user, I get a black screen followed by a system error.

I think initialising the ps4 again does fix this, but then the whole issue will repeat sooner while trying to download something, so I think I can only bring my ps4 to check/repair.

I do wonder: is it possible that a single game, got from ps store, has made all this mess, or was it just an coincidence that my ps4 got these issues as I started the mentioned game?

I don't think its from you downloading Deus Ex. Cause my problems started with Rainbow Six and I downloaded that game ages ago before the problems started to surface. After I noticed the problems I tried downloaded small and big games and received a lot of problems. Then it started to affect the PS4 itself. I don't know the reason for your problems but I would recommend getting it checked/repaired. 

How many times have you gotten the error where it brings you to the screen, after turning on the PS4, saying to not unplug the system while its on, and then rebuilds the database? Cause doing that too many times can corrupt the hard drive and create bad sectors. If it has happened to you, it's probably downloading the games to that section of the hard drive causing data/game corruption.

Someone else said that this is a problem with the game and everyone had issues, but I downloaded and played the game on a burner account and everything was fine. If its a user error, you can maybe try deleting the user and re logging, but do research cause I think this deletes save data.

17 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

I don't think its from you downloading Deus Ex. Cause my problems started with Rainbow Six and I downloaded that game ages ago before the problems started to surface. After I noticed the problems I tried downloaded small and big games and received a lot of problems. Then it started to affect the PS4 itself. I don't know the reason for your problems but I would recommend getting it checked/repaired. 

How many times have you gotten the error where it brings you to the screen, after turning on the PS4, saying to not unplug the system while its on, and then rebuilds the database? Cause doing that too many times can corrupt the hard drive and create bad sectors. If it has happened to you, it's probably downloading the games to that section of the hard drive causing data/game corruption.

Someone else said that this is a problem with the game and everyone had issues, but I downloaded and played the game on a burner account and everything was fine. If its a user error, you can maybe try deleting the user and re logging, but do research cause I think this deletes save data.

That is exactly what has been happening as last.

I didn't have any database rebuild message though, if not just once but it was gone almost immediately.

The people I saw complaining about the game were refering to the online part of the game where they kept crashing/being disconnected or not being able to log in, and those few I saw complaining about the game itself being laggy/slow are on pc.

Now, after any initialising, I just have a black screen after the ps4 logo so I guess my ps4 has officially died. I will bring it to check/repair tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, VirtualNight said:

That is exactly what has been happening as last.

I didn't have any database rebuild message though, if not just once but it was gone almost immediately.

The people I saw complaining about the game were refering to the online part of the game where they kept crashing/being disconnected or not being able to log in, and those few I saw complaining about the game itself being laggy/slow are on pc.

Now, after any initialising, I just have a black screen after the ps4 logo so I guess my ps4 has officially died. I will bring it to check/repair tomorrow.

If it is your Hard Drive don't worry too much, I have a launch PS4 and it's still going strong save for the 2 hard drive replacements. So if it is your drive don't worry it's an easy replacement. The worse part is redownloading games and lost save data.

Also I'm talking about this screen, sorry not rebuild database screen. Followed by the safely unplug ps4 screen.

What to do if PS4 Freezes (How to Series) - YouTube