Flat/Bad Audio? Try This

DeathlessVoid

So I've been spending the last week and a half being really disappointed in the PS5's audio capabilities.

Prior to launch I purchased a brand new Corsair Virtuoso headset ($300 CAD) and it was amazing on my PC. But flat on my PS5. Additionally, my Sony 5.1 soundbar sounded tinny and abysmal.

Well, last night I decided to check out my system settings for the first time in-depth, and behold; Dolby and DTS settings are laid within the sound settings. I changed it from the default to Dolby and BOOM. Instant satisfaction. So if you're finding your audio to be underwhelming too, give that a shot. I figure I couldn't be the only one lol.

• Like 4

On 11/24/2020 at 0:26 AM, DeathlessVoid said:

So I've been spending the last week and a half being really disappointed in the PS5's audio capabilities.

Prior to launch I purchased a brand new Corsair Virtuoso headset ($300 CAD) and it was amazing on my PC. But flat on my PS5. Additionally, my Sony 5.1 soundbar sounded tinny and abysmal.

Well, last night I decided to check out my system settings for the first time in-depth, and behold; Dolby and DTS settings are laid within the sound settings. I changed it from the default to Dolby and BOOM. Instant satisfaction. So if you're finding your audio to be underwhelming too, give that a shot. I figure I couldn't be the only one lol.

Thanks, My Sony headset was awful until this finding.

Keep in mind that setting it to either DTS or Dolby Digital will output a compressed audio stream when compared to the uncompressed audio of PCM.

If your equipment supports it, PCM 5.1/7.1 multichannel is generally a better option.

TrueHD (or Atmos) and DTS:MA (or DTS:X) on the other hand would be great to output as, but we don't have that option...

3 hours ago, Goldfire said:

Keep in mind that setting it to either DTS or Dolby Digital will output a compressed audio stream when compared to the uncompressed audio of PCM.

If your equipment supports it, PCM 5.1/7.1 multichannel is generally a better option.

TrueHD (or Atmos) and DTS:MA (or DTS:X) on the other hand would be great to output as, but we don't have that option...

Sony are cheapskates. Xbox and Apple can afford Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos licenses, but Sony has to make up excuses. Dolby Vision absense is the most outrageous part, since Sony are one of the main supporters on Dolby Vision on TV market and by making all their movies (via Sony Pictures) Dolby Vision.

It literally would cost them less than $3 per device for both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

• Like 1