Koi-koi

damilesman

What is the secret to winning this? I have played against Arthur over 100 times and have had several times where he immediately draws a Moon Viewing or Sakura Viewing and ends the round before I even have a chance to do anything. I can't even take the cards needed to stop him from getting it because the game insists on giving me the shittiest hand possible. I hate this minigame so much and just want to be done with it.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This video was helpful. It gives you an overview and mentions the card combination you have to look out for.  This mini-game is very luck-based and the game can be bias most of the time.  Don't hessitate to restart the game when you see that your opponent has good cards from the start.  Elise was tough for me though I still have a long way to go.  She always seem to get the good cards from the get-go - the wildcard, the blossom, the animals, the moon etc. - watch the shared video to know which cards I am talking about.

I can now say that I am a novice player from being a clueless noob when I first started playing it.  It's not all about pairs, sometimes if you have a good card in your hand and a 'linking pair' then release the pair onto the deck so you can (hopefully) bank your good card to pair with it and move them to your deck. As someone here had mentioned, if you win by just 1mon try Koi Koi and gamble that bit to win more if you have a good deck running, rather than waste an opportunity to score big and throw away the cards for just 1mon.

Edited by Eispan

• 1 month later...

There is quite a bit of luck involved, but there’s strategy you can employ even if you’re dealt crap hands. You do want to try to get the best pairings possible, but you also want to block good pairings your opponent can obtain. Like if you see they have a blue poetry card, try and get one yourself so you block them from getting a match. I also found the best counter to a good hand the opponent is building is to just get a 1-point match and end the round quickly. The AI tends to koi koi often so in those cases you definitely want to get any match possible as fast as you can even if it’s only worth one point. On the flip side, you should only use koi koi if you’re confident you can get another match during your next turn, and also sure your opponent won’t get a match themselves. Getting greedy in this game is an easy way to lose. 

If you’re not doing it already, it’s also very handy to keep a chart open showing which cards match together.