Average Letter Rank Question

Under Stats is shows what your average letter ranking is and I was wandering how this is calculating and if it’s rounded up or down to the closest letter? 

I was thinking maybe it was points per rank averaged over games played.

S=3 A=2 B=1 C=0 D=-1 E=-2 F=-3

Easy example: so if I had played 6 games with 3 S ranks and 3 D ranks that would be 6 points over 6 games and a 1 point average or B rank based on above...

interested to hear if this calculation is known 

I'm new here fwiw, but looking at it a few times I think @Squirlruler is right. It's based on the median. Assuming that's true my current C average makes perfect sense. My S and A ranks basically offset my D and E ranks, leaving just B and C games. My average is a C sitting near a B.

Edited by kindajustin

It's calculated by the average completion of the game. So if a game has, for example, average completion of 50% this is how the ranks will look like (more or less, that's how I understand the system): 0% F, 1-20% E,21-40% D,41-60% C, 61-80% B, 81%-99% A and 100% - S (if there are no DLC trophies then you will get S after getting the platinum, but when the game has DLC trophies, getting the platinum will only give you rank A. so you can have the plat and 99% completion with A until you get the last DLC trophy thus getting rank S)

2 hours ago, HaserPL said:

It's calculated by the average completion of the game. So if a game has, for example, average completion of 50% this is how the ranks will look like (more or less, that's how I understand the system): 0% F, 1-20% E,21-40% D,41-60% C, 61-80% B, 81%-99% A and 100% - S (if there are no DLC trophies then you will get S after getting the platinum, but when the game has DLC trophies, getting the platinum will only give you rank A. so you can have the plat and 99% completion with A until you get the last DLC trophy thus getting rank S)

Thanks for the long explanation. I understand that on a single game basis.  So the Average located in the stats is just looking at all the games pure % and not looking at the average of all the grades is the thinking?