2DS XL region question

LoveInHell

I am interested in buying a 2DS XL console, when I look up if its region locked or free it says that the 2DS XL is region locked but I also read its not...?

I asked the seller, who has 635 5 star ratings feedback, and he said that all 2DS consoles are region free.

Then I read on Reddit that region free Nintendo systems are modded. IF that is the case, do I need to worry playing on a modded system? (Safety etc.)

Can anyone confirm this without any doubt?

Thank you! :)

• Like 1

I can confirm that the 2DS is legion locked. All models of the 3DS/2DS are region locked unfortunately. If the seller is saying that it's region free then yes it's probably a modded system. 

If no experience with modded 2DS consoles but I imagine it will be fine. 

Edited by Venocide

4 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I don't know if they still do, but I remember this article https://kotaku.com/nintendo-bans-a-bunch-of-hacked-3dses-1795563848

This^

You can try but if Nintendo detects modded hardware, it likely won't be long before they come knocking and issue you with a ban.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

48 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I don't know if they still do, but I remember this article https://kotaku.com/nintendo-bans-a-bunch-of-hacked-3dses-1795563848

I’ve read it. Its an article from 2017, I did some more research on modded Nintendo 2DS systems (and Switch) and this is what I found: https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-have-a-2ds-can-you-go-online-with-cfw.528427/

I quote a few posts from 2019.

First of all, when you decide to install CFW on any console, you must accept the risks of doing so in that you may potentially get banned from online services related to that console at any time, should you decide to connect to the internet with it afterwords.
With that, I suggest you take the proper precautions by using an online account that doesn't have any monetary value tied into it. Don't associate an account that you've used to pay for digital games, DLC, or any other purchases. Create a new account that won't be so devastating to you should you get banned in the future.
Console bans are also a possibility at some point. There's no 100% way to prevent a possible ban, so it's up to you to weigh the risks.

I would also like to suggest that should you decide to play online, don't use any cheats or game mods, as that would be the biggest red flag you could make. Don't be connected to the internet while using homebrew either.

If you follow these guidelines, you may reduce the potential of finding yourself banned at some point, but again it's never going to be a 100% thing. I've been playing online for months now following these rules and have been okay thus far.”

Nintendo has a new system on Switch where they can tell if your system is hacked or not, and ban you if it is. They didn't have that on 3DS. You can even go online with pirated games, they can't tell the difference between legit and non-legit games on 3DS.
But that's only on 3DS, so be careful with the Switch.”

”No one really knows for sure what triggers the bans on 3DS. You may or may not end up banned. I was banned after regularly using homebrew CIAs, some out of region games, and a couple hacked save files (this probably did it).”

And this is why I didn't Homebrew my 2DS XL for the longest time. But honestly I think even if you get banned CFW is worth it, over owning a vanilla console.

You should only get banned if you use hacked pokemon, such as ones that were caught in areas they don't appear in vanilla, or have moves or stats typically impossible for that pokemon. As far as I know, that's the most you can do to hope to prevent getting banned. There's not much you can do about the possibility.”

And 2020 Reddit thread, people saying that they don’t care to ban anymore unless you use cheats online or pirate games that aren’t out yet: https://www.google.be/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/homebrew/comments/gubli4/is_it_safe_to_play_online_with_a_modded_new/

I’ll take the chance, it doesn’t sound like a big risk in 2021.

Edited by LoveInHell