Why is content sharing so limited?

Peaches

I just want to preface this by saying that I spent the last 6 years or so with Xbox One. So there will be some comparisons here.

So the sharing of clips and images on PS5 seems very limited in options. I'm not sure if it was the same on PS4, or maybe it has something to do with the revamped PS App. But it seems very weird that I can capture a clip, and then either send it to a friend on PS in messages (unless it's over 3 minutes long) or upload it to a YouTube/Twitter account. Why so few options? I can't even save it from the PS app onto my phone to show people IRL, or post on Discord, or basically any other messaging/social media apps. 

Xbox One's clip editing and trimming was not nearly as easy and smooth as PS5 is. Hell, it ended up not working 90% of the time anyway. But I could go on the Xbox app, click my profile, and see all my screenshots and clips. Download them to my phone and post them anywhere. As far as I can tell, you can't even view a friend's screenshots and clips by checking their profile on PS5. 

I know this probably isn't a big deal to most people. But maybe something that Sony can look to improve and add onto in the future (after getting more consoles out first of course). What do you guys think? Is this something that bothers anyone else? Is it similar on PS4? 

I don’t have a PS5 yet, but I’ve noticed that when it comes to technology, it seems any sort of “upgrade” is always a one step forward, two steps back kind of deal. 

I had always just assumed that the PS5 would have vastly improved social features and would take advantage of the modern social media landscape to integrate more inter connectivity into the PlayStation experience, since these types of features have become the standard these days. But from what I understand, they really didn’t go this route at all, and actually removed some features that were staples of the PS4.

For example, one of the most underrated features on the PS4, in my opinion, is the “What’s New” feed on the XMB. For a trophy hunter like myself, this is a great place to see what all my friends have been playing, which trophies they’ve been earning, comment on their progress or like their activities, and to share clips and screenshots of my own with my PSN friends list.

But from what I understand and have been told, the PS5 doesn’t even have anything like this, which was a bit of a bummer and quite surprising to me to be honest. And with how common it has become to share clips and screenshots of games on social media and gaming websites, just like you I would have also expected more features and options to make sharing media from the PS5 much easier to do.

I hope we get some quality of life updates in the future that add some of these features. These might seem like small things, but when you add them all up it would make purchasing the PS5 a lot more appealing to people like me who haven’t bothered to upgrade yet.

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

This is still early in the PS5's lifecycle. The PS4 had a pretty mediocre interface when it launched in Nov 2013, Sony basically gave it a couple overhauls and I would say the XMB is significantly better. Easily the best of all the Sony consoles that have trophy support.

It's easy to target Sony because of all the braindead decisions they've made in the past couple years. This is why I like to wait at least a couple years after the initial console release so I can see improvements and a much bigger library of games to choose from.

Edited by Spaz