Games similar to this?

Studfox

I went in completely blind to this game when I saw it on sale this past week and was pleasantly surprised by the developers take on the text based choose-your-own-adventure style gameplay. It was extremely nostalgic to the fantasy CYOA books I would read as a kid. Does anyone know of similar games? I know the Dark Anthology games and Until Dawn are CYOA but I really liked that this was just text based.

I wouldn't say that Until Dawn is in any way like a CYOA book. I would recommend giving 'The Return of the Obra Dinn' a go if you like minimalist, text heavy games. It's essentially a ghost story/detective game but very good. I think you'll enjoy it.  You might like Undertale too if you like a minimalist style although I didn't like it at all! 

P.S. just read your 'signature'!! That's my world too! Fatherhood and gaming don't always fit together well, do they! I had to play 1 hr plats for the first year of my son's life! Anything more in-depth I just couldn't find time for!!! 

Edited by JoesusHCrust
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I wouldn't say that Until Dawn is in any way like a CYOA book. I would recommend giving 'The Return of the Obra Dinn' a go if you like minimalist, text heavy games. It's essentially a ghost story/detective game but very good. I think you'll enjoy it.  You might like Undertale too if you like a minimalist style although I didn't like it at all! 

Yeah, I guess there is a key difference in CYOA and a game that has the choice trees/different endings.

Obra Dinn was an awesome game that definitely also scratched that nostalgia itch (I also agree about Undertale, didn't much care for it.)

5 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Really cool site, thanks for the heads up!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...