Hate the PS5 trophy UI

Toshiro-Na55

Good thing I got my hands on a PS5 after SIE ditched horizontal trophy browsing within lists back to vertical again.

Edited by Dry
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dry said:

Good thing I got my hands on a PS5 after SIE ditched horizontal trophy browsing within lists back to vertical again.

oh yeah lmao it was weird. They even claimed you could YT help vids and go picture in picture but i never really checked.. or used their card thing much... or used their hints. lol

• Like 1

I’m really late to the party and only just got a PS5 last week so I have some thoughts to share on the topic. It seems they’ve done a good job fixing a lot of these issues the UI had on launch and since this thread was first posted. Thank goodness for that, because a horizontal trophy list was an awful idea and would make it such a pain to look at your trophies while in-game. I’m thrilled that one is fixed.

The only other issues I have with the UI are very minor. I would prefer that messages and friend’s activities were displayed immediately upon logging in like it was on PS4, since I check these things right away, but no biggy. I would really, really like folders to come back though. I know they introduced “game lists” in the game library but this isn’t even remotely the same thing. I tend to have a lot of different games downloaded at once and having them sprawled out horizontally across the home page in no particular order is kind of ugly and chaotic. On PS4 I had them very neatly organized into little folders.

Lastly, the trophy UI is going to take some getting used to. Again, this is just minor nitpicky stuff but I just really don’t like the way trophies look, especially the platinum trophy icon and the game art. The PS4 & PS3 trophy tiles look awful, and I grieve for the trophy sound of the last 2 generations as I realize I don’t even notice trophies popping on PS5 half the time because they’re drowned out by game audio. IMHO all this stuff is a step back from last-gen, with the only plus side being how fast trophies pop!

I can live with these minor complaints though… overall I’m very happy with the PS5 and find most of the UI pretty sleek. I’m enjoying the console a lot! 😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2024 at 1:20 AM, dieselmanchild said:

I’m really late to the party and only just got a PS5 last week so I have some thoughts to share on the topic. It seems they’ve done a good job fixing a lot of these issues the UI had on launch and since this thread was first posted. Thank goodness for that, because a horizontal trophy list was an awful idea and would make it such a pain to look at your trophies while in-game. I’m thrilled that one is fixed.

The only other issues I have with the UI are very minor. I would prefer that messages and friend’s activities were displayed immediately upon logging in like it was on PS4, since I check these things right away, but no biggy. I would really, really like folders to come back though. I know they introduced “game lists” in the game library but this isn’t even remotely the same thing. I tend to have a lot of different games downloaded at once and having them sprawled out horizontally across the home page in no particular order is kind of ugly and chaotic. On PS4 I had them very neatly organized into little folders.

Lastly, the trophy UI is going to take some getting used to. Again, this is just minor nitpicky stuff but I just really don’t like the way trophies look, especially the platinum trophy icon and the game art. The PS4 & PS3 trophy tiles look awful, and I grieve for the trophy sound of the last 2 generations as I realize I don’t even notice trophies popping on PS5 half the time because they’re drowned out by game audio. IMHO all this stuff is a step back from last-gen, with the only plus side being how fast trophies pop!

I can live with these minor complaints though… overall I’m very happy with the PS5 and find most of the UI pretty sleek. I’m enjoying the console a lot! 😁

Agree 100%. With how much Sony is trying to push social interaction on their console, messages and friend activities being hidden away is a weird design oversight. Maybe they were trying to streamline interactions by centralizing them in the Game Base menu. 

On 2/5/2024 at 11:36 PM, altStrafe said:

Agree 100%. With how much Sony is trying to push social interaction on their console, messages and friend activities being hidden away is a weird design oversight. Maybe they were trying to streamline interactions by centralizing them in the Game Base menu. 

Yeah idk, I’ve been wondering what they are thinking for awhile now. Sony used to really push social interaction on their machines, but it feels like they’ve made a lot of choices in the latter half of the PS4 gen, and especially with the release of PS5, that kind of push that whole idea to the back burner.

Maybe they’re thinking people are already connecting on other apps and platforms these days so these features aren’t as important on PlayStation. Who knows. But I still wish they’d make a small effort and bring back some basic features. I miss communities and the social feed so you could see what your friends were doing. Or even better, maybe even add a space on your profile where you could post status updates and screenshots and stuff so you can engage with your friends there.