Help. Is my PS4 dying?

zgz93

Hello everybody,

During the last month I've thought if my PS4 was taking a little bit more than usual when initialising or surfing the menu. I thought it was just me, but tonight I realised it was something bad and my PS4 has been slowing down during this time.

It was impossible to play. Games got frozen for few seconds, screen loads were unusually slow and it didn't even load all the apps/games' images in the main menu, so I decided to access to secure start and defragment database (idk if that's the English name). It ran correctly for few minutes, until I initialised a game. It directly crashed and, after restart, it took a lot of time to load the game.

This morning I've given it another opportunity and it was the same. Impossible to play and also realised I couldn't even access to the library or PSN as it was sooooo slow to load and took too much time every time I moved. Suddenly it switched off and now it "analysing database status" for third time as it says it will be restarted after analysing, but it never does, so I cannot even switch it on :(

Any help with what I should do? I'm thinking of opening it and cleaning everything.

Thanks.

• Like 1

As the moderator suggested, your hard drive might be expiring. I needed to replace a drive early on and it acted *exactly* that way, plus cleaning helps a ton with airflow - mine started not only to roar like a fighter jet without being taxed in-game but also to overheat and slow way, way, way down despite ample ventilation and a cool resting space. Dust can clog up and kill all sorts of machinery, but use soft care and a steady hand if you clean its components. I would review a few video clips for a variety of looks at the PS4 unless you are quite skilled and confident with your knowledge. PS4s have in my observation on average outlasted most PS3s and even the original model PS2s, but small malfunctions can topple anything. I lost my GameCube and Wii both to minor problems, yet my PS1 and old Sega consoles still hum to this day without hindrance.

Very good luck to you in this.

• Like 2

Sounds like the symptoms of a failing hard drive to me. I went through the same thing a few months back. It could be either a defective unit that came from the manufacturer, a power surge that could've damaged the hard drive, or one of the sectors simply became corrupted beyond repair for some reason.

Be sure to back up your stuff on the cloud or external storage because sounds like that are about to die at some point soon. Mine was a PS4 Slim, the one that came bundled with the Spider-Man game that Sony sold at an incredibly good discount a couple of years back. It barely got any use before the hard drive failed on me.

But yeah, try buying a new one. Most 2.5 inches hard drives will work with the console. You can even look and opt for an SSD instead if you want faster load times for your games.

• Like 2

I know it's already been speculated as much by others here, but I'm just gonna chip in here and also say that, yeah, sounds like it's almost defo the hard drive. One of our PS4's external HDDs started to have symptoms very similar to yours for a few months, hooked it up to a PC to check the S.M.A.R.T stats, and it had quite a few uncorrectable/corrupt sectors and pending sectors, so we stopped using it.

Back up everything you can in the mean time to a USB drive, and/or the PS Plus cloud for your saves.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...