Gaming Keyboard Suggestions

Parker

I'm in need of a new keyboard and am looking for some suggestions. I currently have a Logitech G15 which I absolutely adore but either my darling wife or wonderful son spilled something sticky on it and quite a few keys are now a pain in the ass to press. I am very tempted to get another G15 as it has been nothing but fantastic but I'm looking for opinions on other keyboards. 

So far I have two in mind. The Logitech G15 and the SteelSeries Apex. Like I said, I am really just looking for opinions on a good gaming keyboard and I'd prefer it to be around the $100 price tag at most. I'm willing to go a bit over that but I'd prefer as cheap as possible with the highest quality possible. 

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G15-Gaming-Keyboard-Black/dp/B000UHE8YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384452415&sr=8-1&keywords=Logitech+G15

http://steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/steelseries-apex-gaming-keyboard

Thanks in advance.

Parker

I'm still using the Logitech G15 and I've always enjoyed it. Obviously it's great for you as well, so if you can find one at a fair price, you're better off getting it. If not, then you need to analyze what's so special about it. Keyboards are fairly diverse, so you need to know what features you're looking for.

Get a CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate keyboard, it's not as flashy as the two in the OP, but the build quality is solid and it has mechanical keyswitches. It's only $6 over your budget.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-QuickFire-Ultimate-SGK-4011-GKCR1-US/dp/B00EJ8CKIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376590557&sr=8-1&keywords=SGK-4011-GKCR1-US

Quick question, what makes mechanical keys better than what other keyboards use? Is it really that noticeable?

Parker

Quick question, what makes mechanical keys better than what other keyboards use? Is it really that noticeable?

Parker

Membrane is what most modern keyboards use, which are basically small plastic caps under the keys that you push down on, like a TV remote. It's a easy way of keeping manufacturing costs down but it results in a very mushy, cheap feel when typing, and they generally don't last very long. Mechanical keyboards feel much more solid and give tactile feedback, you can actually feel the key click into place as there is an actual mechanical mechanism underneath each key. These mechanisms are built to last for a very long time, mechanical keyboards from the 80's still work properly, even after 20 years worth of use. Mechanical keyboards are actually easier to type with, for example if you only push a key halfway down on a membrane keyboard it won't register the keypress, but with a mechanical it will register it, which is why most people can type considerably faster using a mechanical keyboard. It also saves a lot of energy when playing or typing for long periods of time. 

The difference is night and day for me, but it varies from user to user, most people would agree with me though and say that mechanical is much better, the only real trade off is noise but if you get cherry red or brown switches the noise is minimal, only slightly louder than a regular membrane keyboard, though with red switches you don't get the tactile feedback. I recommend that you getting reds if you plan on gaming a lot, but go for blue if you are more of a general PC user, blues have tactile feedback, but be aware that they also make more noise.

Edit: Grammar mistakes.

Edited by AndroidFox

Mechanical keyboards went out in the 80s for a reason - they're fucking loud and will annoy the shit outta you and your loved ones. Unless you're Korean and have the dexterity of a hummingbird, stick with Logitech sans mech keys. 

I personally have a G19 for my PC, but if I was right-handed I'd go with a SteelSeries Merc Stealth or a Razer Orbweaver. As a lefty gamer, my options are more limited, so I use a Z-board Fang (the gamepad part of the Merc Stealth keyboard) for all of my kb+m gaming and I wuv it.

• 3 weeks later...