Nightmare difficulty by chapter selection

Corle1nes

Hi everyone, I wanted to know if, to unlock the nightmare difficulty trophies, we could simply redo the chapters on nightmare, from the chapter selection, or if we were forced to start a new game ?

I searched but couldn't find anything, and I prefer to be sure before starting nightmare.

Thank you for your answers :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

for future reference you do not have to start a new playthrough. i did the last mission on hard on chapter select. and then started at the tutorial on hard and went straight to the second mission and played through to last mission and the trophy popped. this was after previously beating it on normal

Edited by melodicmizery

On 10/19/2022 at 3:16 PM, Paintnapper said:

So you are saying it does work to beat nightmare by chapter select if you play the last level, play the tutorial/first mission and then load the second to last mission? 

if you mean beating all levels on easy and then mission selecting only the last mission on nightmare to pop the trophy, no that dont work

but lets say you do your first run on easy and beat all levels. you dont have to pick new game, you can pick single player at the menu, and click select mission instead of new game. mission select any level and beat them on nightmare in whatever order you want. so if your sick of dying on a certain level you can go do a different level instead and come back to that one later. so the order doesnt matter as long as their all done.

personally im skipping all the nightmare. no checkpoints for most of these levels are absurd since you can die so cheaply and easily. im just not a good enough player. kudos to anyone who legit done it. it will take patience and time. 

i also realized i worded my other comment a bit wonky so i fixed it sorry about that

Edited by melodicmizery

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2022 at 2:47 PM, melodicmizery said:

kudos to anyone who legit done it

What do you mean by legit done it ? is there an exploit or a good glitch ? or you mean beating nightmare by chapter select ? i did only the mp portion of the game so i don't know what i am getting into., does nightmare difficulty requires to beat the game in one sitting ? and the chapter select trick is the exploit ?

Hello,

-You can 100% tackle the nightmare difficulty chapter by chapter. 
The game gives you a score after each finished mission which includes the difficulty. You highest ranking score will be recorded after each mission.

-Play through each mission on Hard first.

-Then after each mission completed try it on nightmare through mission select before proceeding because it will still be fresh on your memory.
-The hardest missions include the first one, the queen mission and the final mission. When you’re stuck on a mission don’t endlessly replay them. Try three times on a given day, and then put it down until the day after. Do this for a few days, and take one mission at a time.

-Take your time for this. Don’t expect to finish one of these every day. Replay them again and again on hard if necessary and create separate saves at the checkpoints. If you find yourself dying at one point on hard, use the save to replay it until you’re ready with that part. 

-As far as I know the only exploit on the single player is when you have to fight the hybrid huge Xeno boss. You can run past him onto a platform and he won’t come to you.

-On nightmare difficulty there are no checkpoints, but you can play chapter by chapter 

-Last but not least: have fun! If you’re a fan of the Alien movies you are gonna have a blast. There are many elements and references to the movies! Such as the trophy names, they’re mostly funny quotes such as: “What are we supposed to defend ourselves with? Harsh language?”.

Edited by Sauron-The-Great
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

What do you mean by legit done it ? is there an exploit or a good glitch ? or you mean beating nightmare by chapter select ? i did only the mp portion of the game so i don't know what i am getting into., does nightmare difficulty requires to beat the game in one sitting ? and the chapter select trick is the exploit ?

i think what i was trying to say is good job to anyone who took the time to finish it without cheating using a modded save cheat to pop the platinum. for me i tried nightmare and im just not good enough of a gamer to finish nightmare nor do i have the patience so i left it as a unfinished game. but im pleased with how far i got. its a very sketchy game and ridiculous how far you have to go without dying on the marine missions where you can easily die by a cheap face hugger and ruin it all. so the people who have finished it are way better gamers to me. i like to acknowledge the great gamers out there. in the past as a kid playing genesis and such, we didnt have tracking webpages to show us these other people around the world who were better then just the top player in our neighborhood in mario brothers lol. i think its something to do with evolving in gaming and my age (41) that i appreciate a skilled player and can admit they are better then me and tip my hat to them. its what makes games exciting and challenging to know they are better and to try to be better. im def a better gamer then i was years ago. some of my backlog games i thought i could never finish ive went back and sometimes got the trophy in one attempt or one day when i previously couldnt do it for weeks or years

as far as i know there is not really any great bug or exploit that helps you out very much. i think i may of seen a video for one of the bosses years ago but i cant remember specfics

to answer your other question you dont have to beat nightmare in one sitting, but if i recall you have to beat each level in one sitting. meaning if you die in a level you go back to the beginning of that particular level. you can use chapter select to play the levels in the order you want, but playing the last level first wont pop the trophy so its not a quick exploit. as i said above, some of those marine missions are quite long and have many points you can easily die on so thats where most give up. i would sort of put it up there with the mien leben wolfenstein trophy but a little less harder. it takes persistence, patience, and no distractions.

Edited by melodicmizery

19 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

i would sort of put it up there with the mien leben wolfenstein trophy but a little less harder.

Wow, it's that hard ? mein leben there is no way i can beat that, i was playing on i am death incarnate difficulty in The New Order Wolfenstein and i had to use a exploit glitch to beat that mission and even i skipped many enemies because they were so many and they kill you pretty fast so imagine the whole game !!! practice won't make perfect for me on that one, looks like i will be like you the game (AvP) will be maxed at 91% unfortunately.

20 hours ago, Sauron-The-Great said:

Hello,

-You can 100% tackle the nightmare difficulty chapter by chapter. 
The game gives you a score after each finished mission which includes the difficulty. You highest ranking score will be recorded after each mission.

-Play through each mission on Hard first.

-Then after each mission completed try it on nightmare through mission select before proceeding because it will still be fresh on your memory.
-The hardest missions include the first one, the queen mission and the final mission. When you’re stuck on a mission don’t endlessly replay them. Try three times on a given day, and then put it down until the day after. Do this for a few days, and take one mission at a time.

-Take your time for this. Don’t expect to finish one of these every day. Replay them again and again on hard if necessary and create separate saves at the checkpoints. If you find yourself dying at one point on hard, use the save to replay it until you’re ready with that part. 

-As far as I know the only exploit on the single player is when you have to fight the hybrid huge Xeno boss. You can run past him onto a platform and he won’t come to you.

-On nightmare difficulty there are no checkpoints, but you can play chapter by chapter 

-Last but not least: have fun! If you’re a fan of the Alien movies you are gonna have a blast. There are many elements and references to the movies! Such as the trophy names, they’re mostly funny quotes such as: “What are we supposed to defend ourselves with? Harsh language?”.

Nice tips right there, thanks man, i will definitely use them, but i won't play that game sooner, i see you platinumed the game which is fantastic job kudos to that.