Problems with Shenmue I & II Disc Version

J23Krystian

Hello There.
So I just borrowed my copy of Shenmue to my friend and for some reason he can't install the first game it's just not launching install but he can install the second game.
Any solution to get this working?
I played Shenmue couple weeks ago and I could install it so I don't know why it's not working on his console.

26 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

You lent it to your friend. He borrowed it from you.

And the only thing I can think of, presuming he can install other games, is a damaged disc. Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling on your console again, just in case?

Yeah I tried that and it's working so I don't know what is causing the problem

8 minutes ago, J23Krystian said:

Yeah I tried that and it's working so I don't know what is causing the problem

Then not sure what to suggest. Maybe go to a place that sells second hand games with a return policy (such as CEX in the U.K. that lets you return any game within 2 days) and see if it will work with a different disc for him.

1 hour ago, J23Krystian said:

Hello There.
So I just borrowed my copy of Shenmue to my friend and for some reason he can't install the first game it's just not launching install but he can install the second game.
Any solution to get this working?
I played Shenmue couple weeks ago and I could install it so I don't know why it's not working on his console.

tell him to press 'start' and then choose version from the menu and pick Shenmue 1

both games install in the same tile 

11 minutes ago, TalalHmd said:

tell him to press 'start' and then choose version from the menu and pick Shenmue 1

both games install in the same tile 

When I press Start I have only Remove Disc there is no option to install two games at the same time.
There is this menu that when you go down there is Shenmue 1 and 2.
Shenmue 2 is launching the download but the first game nothing happens.

7 minutes ago, J23Krystian said:

When I press Start I have only Remove Disc there is no option to install two games at the same time.
There is this menu that when you go down there is Shenmue 1 and 2.
Shenmue 2 is launching the download but the first game nothing happens.

weird.

just to explain more. the Shenmue collection has 2 tiles in the menu. Shenmue Collections (this one has the 'Remove Disc' option) and the other tile is both games in the same tile and you have to 'choose version' from the menu. 

so go to your installed Shenmue 2 in the menu, and pick choose version

like this

PS5-Game-Version_8-650x433.jpg?trim=1,1&

PS5-Game-Version_9-650x433.jpg?trim=1,1&

Edited by TalalHmd

4 minutes ago, StacFace92 said:

Has he checked how much storage space he has available on the console? The only thing I can think of is if there isn't enough space left for both games to install. Maybe he needs to delete some other games to make room?

He still has 100GB free space as he checked right now.
Shenmue 1 is around 8GB as I remember.

13 minutes ago, TalalHmd said:

weird.

just to explain more. the Shenmue collection has 2 tiles in the menu. Shenmue Collections (this one has the 'Remove Disc' option) and the other tile is both games in the same tile and you have to 'choose version' from the menu. 

so go to Shenmue 2 in the menu, and pick choose version

like this

PS5-Game-Version_8-650x433.jpg?trim=1,1&

PS5-Game-Version_9-650x433.jpg?trim=1,1&

I don't see that option on PS4 unfortunately :(
When I go down to Shenmue 1 and 2 I can't even press "Start" only X works that's how I installed Shenmue 2 but Shenmue 1 I press X and nothing happens for some reason.

• Like 1

It could be an issue with his PS4, even if other discs work fine on it, I've occasionally had issues with certain consoles that just flat out don't want to read a certain cartridge or disc that I know for a fact work fine on other consoles. No idea why, maybe there's something up with the disc that most PS4s have no issues reading, but there's something wrong in some specific way with his PS4's laser or something that it can't read the disc correctly/fully.

Had a copy of Deus Ex Human Revolution flat out refuse to read properly on my newest PS3 a few years ago, even though it used to work fine on my original phat, and still works fine on my slim. My super slim just hates it, no idea why, other discs work perfectly fine on it.

Short of doing the ol' rebuilding of the database, or perhaps even changing how the console is sitting (e.g. making it vertical if it isn't already, or maybe even turn it upside down? Sometimes weird things like this work), I don't know what else to suggest to get the first game working.