Skipped 2nd elemental materia...

Hi, i did a mistake that can cost me 2h of extra playing. I thought that game will notify me when the angel's message will be available to pickup, so when i reached wall, i immediately climbed it hoping that maybe ill get it a moment after during the cutscene. If not, ill gt next playthrough. Problem is i didnt know at that time that it also gets a 2nd elemental materia that's important for hard mode.

Now, after ill finish game i have these options: 

1) replay 14th chapter again on easy, wasting 2 hours

2) start hard mode with one elemental and get it again once i reach chapter 14

3) play immediately chapter 14 on hard so the 2 hours will not be wasted

option 3 is the best of course but can i make it without any extra farming, straight after finishing game??? yes i can farm a little first, however if i max out evey materia, then once i get the 2nd elemental, i have to make another specific grind for just one materia, instead of all toghter (if i already had all of them). so ill waste time in both cases...

Edited by XpanderFX

Personally I would just do it on easy. For a start you can also go get yourself another fury ring as having 3 is very advisable. But on hard mode there are a few sections which can be tricky. so go get it on easy, then grind out the very start of chapter 16 to get it levelled up to max. 

Its a shame you couldn't get three elemental materia in the game, because having two on hard can be a bitch sometimes, so one could be asking for trouble. 

5 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Personally I would just do it on easy. For a start you can also go get yourself another fury ring as having 3 is very advisable. But on hard mode there are a few sections which can be tricky. so go get it on easy, then grind out the very start of chapter 16 to get it levelled up to max. 

Its a shame you couldn't get three elemental materia in the game, because having two on hard can be a bitch sometimes, so one could be asking for trouble. 

actually im wondering if this elemental materia is really vital. if i remember from other FF's (including FF7), elemental attacks are never used by really tough bosses but only those at begin of game, and standard foes. 

anyway i have another question: how the chapter select exactly works? what happens to the chests for example?  on 1st playthorugh, if i open a chest in a location, then if i visit same location later, then the chest is already opened. so, what if i now, visit first 14ch on hard, open chests in the market, then go straight to 9th chapter, to the market, but "back in time"??

its a lot confusing as some chapters depends on others, similarly to heavy rain and beyond souls, but in that case, if i do something in an early chapter then all following chapters are automatically resetted. here, instead, seems to work in different way, making eveything confusing

3 hours ago, XpanderFX said:

actually im wondering if this elemental materia is really vital. if i remember from other FF's (including FF7), elemental attacks are never used by really tough bosses but only those at begin of game, and standard foes. 

anyway i have another question: how the chapter select exactly works? what happens to the chests for example?  on 1st playthorugh, if i open a chest in a location, then if i visit same location later, then the chest is already opened. so, what if i now, visit first 14ch on hard, open chests in the market, then go straight to 9th chapter, to the market, but "back in time"??

its a lot confusing as some chapters depends on others, similarly to heavy rain and beyond souls, but in that case, if i do something in an early chapter then all following chapters are automatically resetted. here, instead, seems to work in different way, making eveything confusing

Elemental is vital for standard enemies as well as bosses. Without it... I wouldn't even want to contemplate it. 

In terms of chests. So you have completed the game and lets say for example you want the fury ring. Load up chapter 14 and go to the Don's mansion and get it from chest behind the screen divider. Once you have it you then save and restart that chapter again to repeat getting the same item. All chests close when restarting chapters its only when going through the missions back to back, like chapter 9 through 14 that they will remain open and empty. 

Do not think about going through it without the elemental materias, it will make for a very difficult time and no doubt a miserable one. 

2 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Elemental is vital for standard enemies as well as bosses. Without it... I wouldn't even want to contemplate it. 

In terms of chests. So you have completed the game and lets say for example you want the fury ring. Load up chapter 14 and go to the Don's mansion and get it from chest behind the screen divider. Once you have it you then save and restart that chapter again to repeat getting the same item. All chests close when restarting chapters its only when going through the missions back to back, like chapter 9 through 14 that they will remain open and empty. 

Do not think about going through it without the elemental materias, it will make for a very difficult time and no doubt a miserable one. 

ok so regardless if ill play jumping from a chapter to another, or in order. its always better to restart the chapter right? lets say im playing in order from 1 to 13. once i complete 13, instead of contiinuing on 14th, i go to chapter select and go 14 from there so every chest will be closed again.

On 5/17/2021 at 2:37 AM, XpanderFX said:

ok so regardless if ill play jumping from a chapter to another, or in order. its always better to restart the chapter right? lets say im playing in order from 1 to 13. once i complete 13, instead of contiinuing on 14th, i go to chapter select and go 14 from there so every chest will be closed again.

You don't need to chapter select. If you have never played Chapter 14 on Hard and you simply go into it after finishing Chapter 13, you can get all items normally. Then you can chapter select Chapter 14 again to get your third Fury ring (I didn't need those rings, but for some reason many want to get three) 

Also, yeah, I'd get that second Elemental. Makes it so you can simply hold square during your Hard Mode playthrough against regular mobs if you link it to whatever element they are weak to. It's also helpful against most bosses. 

Edited by Arcesius

10 hours ago, Arcesius said:

You don't need to chapter select. If you have never played Chapter 14 on Hard and you simply go into it after finishing Chapter 13, you can get all items normally. Then you can chapter select Chapter 14 again to get your third Fury ring (I didn't need those rings, but for some reason many want to get three) 

Also, yeah, I'd get that second Elemental. Makes it so you can simply hold square during your Hard Mode playthrough against regular mobs if you link it to whatever element they are weak to. It's also helpful against most bosses. 

well, if i open all chests on chapter9 hard, and play straight to 14, i assume chests will be already opened in it. different thing if i start ch 14 from select chapter, then everything will restart including chests. or im wrong?