Bought an external hard drive and its copying slow(40MB)

GUDGER666

So i bought a new hard drive off Amazon and inside the case is a 2.5 WD Blue. So i copied some games like RAGE 2 which is 59gb and it took 25min, which is about 40MB transfer rate. This is pretty slow no? I've watched some clips on YouTube of people copying stuff way faster like MW at 181gb in the same amount of time. Before i send it back what's everyone elses speeds like?

Sounds about right you're, mechanically limited due to it being a HDD that's running at 5400rpm. An SSD would take advantage of the 5GB/s bandwidth on the USB 3.0 interface.

If you're on a PS4 Pro I recommend using the back USB port as its Gen 3.1 plus it's not in the way.

• Like 1

Could be any of the things, you’re not doing a straight comparison with the videos you’re watching. You bought a different case (which is my first guess to be causing the bottle neck), even if you have an identical HDD inside.

Hooking it up to a computer to do a speed comparison to your PS4 might be a good idea. 

40 MB/sec (megabytes per second) is equivalent to 320 mb/sec (megabits per second) and for a 5400 rpm HDD that speed seems about in the right range. 

I’d see if you can find someone testing that specific case, rather than focusing on the Hard disk drive.