My brothers 360 just RROD'd...

Dreakon139

He was playing his little UFC game and the 360 RROD'd on him. Since it seems to be okay after a few minutes of rest, he's just going to keep playing and burning it into the ground (he doesn't care about the save data and using it is better than letting it sit around being afraid of it breaking). Not sure if he plans on getting a new one since he's mainly a PC gamer. I kind of want to get the upcoming UFC game for the PS3, so I can always let him use that for his moments of console gaming shenanigans.

For future reference though, is there anything one can do to preserve the Xbox 360 after experiencing the dreaded RROD? Is the only option to crack that case open and re-apply thermal paste and whatnot (if that even works)?

I don't have a 360, but I did have an 80GB PS3 that YLOD on me. I'd recommend keeping the system upright and cleaning the vents. I heard that smoking is very bad for electronics and can pretty much kill an Xbox or PS3. That's all I can think of I guess... just take some breaks every now and then, check the vents and keep the 360 away from the wall so it can have better airflow to come into the system.

This happened to my brother too, his Xbox RROD'ed but somehow magically fixed itself and now it works like a charm :P

I actually wish that his Xbox would quit or that he would quit it cause that thing takes up so much bandwith that it's virtually impossible for me to play any online games when he's also playing :(

Xenon MB and design of the 360 is the cause of RROD, which MS tried to fix by releasing newer ones until the 360 Slim which eliminated the RROD problem.

Cleaning, changing thermal paste when its out of warranty, putting it in a well ventilated area will prolong its life, but ultimately today's consoles isn't as tough as those we use to play before.

• 2 months later...