Is this any fun/good? On sale for $2.24

djb5f

It is on sale for $2.24 through PS Plus right now.

With a 20% plat rarity, it looks to have some challenge but not overly difficult which is a good zone for these retro games to be in IMO.  Good for some play and nostalgia but not deep enough where you want to sink a lot of hours into it

I get a real NES vibe watching it.   On a side note, it is amazing that this would have been like $40 USD in say 1988 which is the equivalent of $90 today because of inflation.  

Gaming is cheaper than ever.  No wonder all of our backlogs keep growing.  ?

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, djb5f said:

It is on sale for $2.24 through PS Plus right now.

With a 20% plat rarity, it looks to have some challenge but not overly difficult which is a good zone for these retro games to be in IMO.  Good for some play and nostalgia but not deep enough where you want to sink a lot of hours into it

I get a real NES vibe watching it.   On a side note, it is amazing that this would have been like $40 USD in say 1988 which is the equivalent of $90 today because of inflation.  

Gaming is cheaper than ever.  No wonder all of our backlogs keep growing.  1f601.png

A friend of mine has the platinum, took him about 15 hours, but he said it was a lot of fun, so for the price, there's not much to lose imo

• Like 1

It's not very good, or all that fun unfortunately. It's a vertical mobile game that was ported in horizontal with no option for tate or settings to change the controls. Drops & obstacles are random, no careful or deliberate stage design here. The game just loops the same set of stages & bosses. The boss health increases each loop which can be negated with upgrades & changing the car but late game/post-upgrades it means eventually those boss fights will take forever.

If you're going to do it the roadmap would be grind the first stage (dying at the boss) for money until the blue car is well or fully upgraded, backup your save, do the five bosses in a row (save scumming if necessary because you can't go back to an earlier level), play until you unlock the red car then AFK (turbo the restart button & just leave it running). That 10 hour 58m time I set on this stack can probably be beaten with less AFK but it'll be a miserable life. 

While road fury 'ain't it' there is still hope for a good new car shmup. The upcoming Gearshifters looks like it could be alright.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

I thought it was ok, but what ruined it was the grind at the end to max all cars (which is utterly meaningless as you'll max out the best car first).

What I did was progress through the game normally, upgrading as I went along, and once I got the red car, I never went beyond the level required to unlock it (24, I believe) until I was a fair bit upgraded, and then used @Drag-On-Detritus's tip of backing up my save to go through 5 bosses/10km in on life (you can also do it either right from the start as he/she recommended, or when you get the second car). Once that's done, you can use the afk technique. I don't have a turbo controller, so I just had it on when I was working/watching Netflix and clicked on X periodically. You'll make $250 or so per life, and get to 1000km on the way. It's going to take quite a while to max out all three cars, which is the true requirement for Cooking on Gas. You DON'T want to beat bosses at that point because it simply makes enemies tougher and you die faster. The only trophy you might not get naturally is Not a Scratch, but it really isn't hard to do.

• Like 2