Games that don't let you play the PS4 version?

OmegaRejectz

On 10/11/2021 at 10:10 AM, OmegaRejectz said:

I've heard that on PS5 you aren't able to play the PS4 version of Fortnite. It's the only instance I've heard of this, is this the only game? Are there other games that do this?

Basically Sony are trying to patch out the use of the Cronus Zen / Titan etc etc. So only shooters are being blocked from PS4 versions even though the Dual Sense is completely unsuitable for online competitive play in allot of peoples minds.

At the moment it's only Fortnite, Sony are going to lose customers at this rate but they are too thick to figure out western gaming. I can imagine allot of PS5 preorders for Cod Vanguard and Battlefield 2042 will be cancelled. Options are to keep the Ps4 or buy a XBSX or both.

Yeah, Hot Wheels Unleashed is like this in a way. You have to buy either the PS4 or the PS5 version, you don't get both. I think that's gonna become the norm going forward. I bet a lot of games were probably slated to be released this way, but publishers either decided or were encouraged to release the PS4 and PS5 versions together to accommodate the bottlenecking brought on by console shortages when the PS5 released (obviously still going on today)

Fortnite is the only game I know of where you can't play the PS4 version. That could always change in the future and devs might retroactively block other PS4 BC games.

I have a whole thread Omega about BC issues on PS5 which might interest you:

On 10/12/2021 at 1:36 AM, Z1MZUM said:

At the moment it's only Fortnite, Sony are going to lose customers at this rate but they are too thick to figure out western gaming. I can imagine allot of PS5 preorders for Cod Vanguard and Battlefield 2042 will be cancelled. Options are to keep the Ps4 or buy a XBSX or both.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Not being able to play the PS4 version on a PS5 is a non-issue for the vast majority of people that play the game. Most people don't really care about trophies and most of the Fortnite playerbase doesn't even play the PVE story mode that the trophies are tied to, they play the multiplayer BR mode that was tacked on post that games release that has no trophies.

On this very board I was even getting attacked by multiple people for defending someone that wanted to play PS4 versions of games on their PS5 just so they can get autopopping plats. So even within the trophy community most people don't care about playing the old versions of games.

Luckily a simple solution exists, just keep your PS4 for a few select games. Old consoles not in high demand have dirt resell value anyway, in a sense you lose money by getting rid of them.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:02 AM, SlDHEAG said:

Yeah, Hot Wheels Unleashed is like this in a way. You have to buy either the PS4 or the PS5 version, you don't get both. I think that's gonna become the norm going forward. I bet a lot of games were probably slated to be released this way, but publishers either decided or were encouraged to release the PS4 and PS5 versions together to accommodate the bottlenecking brought on by console shortages when the PS5 released (obviously still going on today)

You're talking about a cross-buy related matter, completely different from what Omega is asking about. You can still play the PS4 version of Hot Wheels on a PS5. The Fortnite version of PS4 can't be installed on the PS5 at all, you're forced to get the new PS5 version.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Fortnite is the only game I know of where you can't play the PS4 version. That could always change in the future and devs might retroactively block other PS4 BC games.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Not being able to play the PS4 version on a PS5 is a non-issue for the vast majority of people that play the game. Most people don't really care about trophies and most of the Fortnite playerbase doesn't even play the PVE story mode that the trophies are tied to, they play the multiplayer BR mode that was tacked on post that games release that has no trophies.

On this very board I was even getting attacked by multiple people for defending someone that wanted to play PS4 versions of games on their PS5 just so they can get autopopping plats. So even within the trophy community most people don't care about playing the old versions of games.

Luckily a simple solution exists, just keep your PS4 for a few select games. Old consoles not in high demand have dirt resell value anyway, in a sense you lose money by getting rid of them.

You're talking about a cross-buy related matter, completely different from what Omega is asking about. You can still play the PS4 version of Hot Wheels on a PS5. The Fortnite version of PS4 can't be installed on the PS5 at all, you're forced to get the new PS5 version.

You are %100 missing the point of what I'm talking about. 

1 minute ago, Z1MZUM said:

You are %100 missing the point of what I'm talking about. 

That you're delusional in thinking any significant amount of people are going to cancel their COD/2042 preorders or switch to Xbox?

In that instance most people will either preemptively buy the cross-gen bundle or reluctantly buy the PS5 version once they get a PS5. Assuming a new COD/BF doesn't come out by the time they even get a PS5.

COD Ghosts sold really well on PS3/360 despite releasing like two weeks or so before the PS4/X1 and they sold incredibly well there too as did all the other last gen ports like the sports titles. Consumers love complaining about AAA games but the vast majority of them will continue to buy (or in these cases re-buy) the games.

As for the notion that people will switch to the Xbox, coming from a person with a heavy bias in favor of Xbox and hasn't really hid their disdain at all for the current state of Sony that has been around for pretty much the past decade: LOL

PS5 will continue to be the more sought after console and the only way a die hard PS fan will get an Xbox is if they randomly find a Series which will be used as a current gen place holder (and a way to play GP/exclusives) until they can get a PS5.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcnichoj said:

Thanks! I’ll be sure to check it out. I recently found backwards-compatible.com which I had saw back when the PS5 came out but for whatever reason I wasn’t able to relocate it.

Definitely understand why Epic did this, like you said, many, many people don’t care about trophies and it would just lead to confusion. Not like your progress from StW or BR is locked to the older version, and when PS5 launched people were accidentally playing the PS4 version. Does suck for the 0.0000001% of the 0.0000001% ?