How are "Fastest Achievers" times tracked?

Every game has a 100% club which shows the First Achievers, Latest Achievers and Fastest Achievers with their lists neatly next to each other. The first two are simple enough to understand how they're tracked but how are the fastest achievers tracked?

When does the timer start?

When the game is booted up for the first time? When the first trophy is earned? 

Is it only tracking in-game hours or is the clock running even if you close the game?

I've tried searching the forums and checking games to no avail so forgive me if I've simply overlooked where my answer would have been found.

27 minutes ago, MrHealthy said:

From first trophy unlocked to last trophy unlocked. Clock is always running.

Ah ok, so theoretically one could attempt to grind out or prepare certain trophies and leave them near completion or set up to be easily popped before earning said game's first mandatory/story related trophy. A way to trim the work you'll need to do when the timer officially starts.

I'd imagine waiting till you've earned a mandatory/story related trophy before trying to pop any easy ones you'd normally earn first under normal play is also another strat to this system.

3 minutes ago, Jackethackit said:

Ah ok, so theoretically one could attempt to grind out or prepare certain trophies and leave them near completion or set up to be easily popped before earning said game's first mandatory/story related trophy. A way to trim the work you'll need to do when the timer officially starts.

I'd imagine waiting till you've earned a mandatory/story related trophy before trying to pop any easy ones you'd normally earn first under normal play is also another strat to this system.

Correct, this is why some people hate games that have a trophy just for playing it the first time. It is also a tactic used by speedrunners going for fastest trophy completion time. Most are legit others are codswallop and get taken down eventually by the busy Cheaters Removal Team.

16 minutes ago, Jackethackit said:

Yes, that's what "Speed Runners" here do: plan a route to delay the most they can the first pop while already getting progress towards the rest. I personally don't care for making my times fast as this implies you need to no-life a game to have chances. I'm always impressed when I topped the leaderboard of a game without even trying, I think it happened on NFS Shift 1