Curse of the Dead Gods - Boss No Damage runs (Bestiary entries miniguide)

Copanele

17 hours ago, Finch_III said:

Haha, I pretty much save scum every room of the last third of a run. And then, if I get an elite I've already got, I just reload my save – you get a different one each time. 

Just a question to confirm with you, the Gold/Relic/Stats rooms have fixed enemies no? I save scummed and every time I got the same layout. Only the weapon upgrade/weapon pool/Treasure rooms give random summons.

Also what I do is, if I have an absolutely abysmal 3rd layout (I can scroll up to see in advance), I just enter the dungeon and go back to the main hall to reset the dungeon. While also praying that I don't get that stupid "Some rooms are hidden" curse, that one fully randomizes the ? room (and ruined some potentially awesome runs mid-way xD )

20 hours ago, Finch_III said:

My preferred way for grinding elites is to pick weapon upgrade and weapon change rooms. They're the quickest, as you have three rounds of enemies in one room - and the last wave always has one of the major elites. Saves trekking through dungeons. Also, the time trial/no-hit trials tend to have a couple of elites in them. 

So, I’m trying to confirm this, and can’t seem to get a handle on it exactly - is this only true of the third section of a run? - i.e, is it impossible to get super-elites in the first two sections, or just less likely?

Also, once you are going for specific elites, does that mean you could use the third-tier version of that  biome-specific run (i.e. the three runs below the top one, with Clovis) to farm them more efficiently?

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

So, I’m trying to confirm this, and can’t seem to get a handle on it exactly - is this only true of the third section of a run? - i.e, is it impossible to get super-elites in the first two sections, or just less likely?

Also, once you are going for specific elites, does that mean you could use the third-tier version of that  biome-specific run (i.e. the three runs below the top one, with Clovis) to farm them more efficiently?

I can help you with that info.

1. Once you are done with bosses, farm ONLY the specific areas for the specific elites. i.e. You need Elite Jaguars, you will go ONLY for Jaguar temples. No reason to replay that huge map with Clovis in hopes that you get a biome with elites.
  2. In each Temple you have 6 Elite Types (not counting the bosses). The first 3 Elite types start spawning in the second section of a run, the next 3 are in the third section. In very rare cases one of the last 3 MIGHT appear in the second section, but again it's incredibly rare. Again, using the Jaguar Temple as an example: Elite Lurkers, Death Wives and Dead Eyes start appearing in the second section of the run, while Headless Guardians, Blood Priests and Infernal Jaguars appear in the third section only, in limited number.
  3. (Unconfirmed) The only way to "manipulate" the spawn of the last 3 Elites is if you enter in a room with 3 random waves (Weapon pools, Weapon upgrades). You can at best get 6 of the last 3 elites per run (which finally explains why the Bestiary trophy is an UR).

I've been grinding at this bestiary for so much time even friends who see me online ask me if I am ok, why I am playing this game only ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I can help you with that info.

1. Once you are done with bosses, farm ONLY the specific areas for the specific elites. i.e. You need Elite Jaguars, you will go ONLY for Jaguar temples. No reason to replay that huge map with Clovis in hopes that you get a biome with elites.
  2. In each Temple you have 6 Elite Types (not counting the bosses). The first 3 Elite types start spawning in the second section of a run, the next 3 are in the third section. In very rare cases one of the last 3 MIGHT appear in the second section, but again it's incredibly rare. Again, using the Jaguar Temple as an example: Elite Lurkers, Death Wives and Dead Eyes start appearing in the second section of the run, while Headless Guardians, Blood Priests and Infernal Jaguars appear in the third section only, in limited number.
  3. (Unconfirmed) The only way to "manipulate" the spawn of the last 3 Elites is if you enter in a room with 3 random waves (Weapon pools, Weapon upgrades). You can at best get 6 of the last 3 elites per run (which finally explains why the Bestiary trophy is an UR).

I've been grinding at this bestiary for so much time even friends who see me online ask me if I am ok, why I am playing this game only 1f602.png

Cool - that’s pretty much what I had figured too - the one wildcard I think is challenge rooms - i’m fairly sure super-elites can spawn in them in the second section (the coin ones, or more likely, the cursed chest ones) - but that’s good to have it confirmed!

I’m now just cleaning up my last few bosses - I have all the Pantheon Bestiary entries now, and only a few of the bosses left, the. It’s just gonna be elite farming forever!

Figure I’ll keep going for a bit just now, but will likely break this up with some other game for a bit, as this is testing my love, even for this game a little ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Figure I’ll keep going for a bit just now, but will likely break this up with some other game for a bit, as this is testing my love, even for this game a little 1f602.png

Yes,  that is absolutely the best option. I am going grind mode because I had to catch up with some podcasts + I want to finish this before Elden Ring eats up the next month of my gaming time, but I would NOT recommend grinding ONLY thisxD it can get mad annoying.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Copanele said:

(Unconfirmed) The only way to "manipulate" the spawn of the last 3 Elites is if you enter in a room with 3 random waves (Weapon pools, Weapon upgrades). You can at best get 6 of the last 3 elites per run (which finally explains why the Bestiary trophy is an UR).

DEBUNKED! Restarting ANY map resets the mobs you get, INCLUDING the Money/Relic/Stat rooms.

This will definitely make farming easier :D 

• Like 2

Sorry, was busy this weekend, so no CotDG grinding for me! 

Yeah, I've seen a couple of super elites show up in the second biome, but it's very rare. Almost exclusively in the final third of each run.

In terms of efficiency, I'm still doing full Clovis runs (on standard) because I have enough of the Super Elites left that a mixture of them is pretty beneficial – plus the 3 super elites that are in the Clovis fight help boost numbers a bit. And I just seem to find the Clovis runs a bit easier (probably because you can control your curses more easily through fighting more bosses). 

I still honestly think it'll take me another week or two of doing the occasional playthrough to grind out those super elites. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just started the game yesterday and man it is fun! Definitely one of the better PS+ games :) one question though: Is there any way I can check how many times I've beaten a boss without taking damage?

I've beaten the first boss now without taking a hit, I had a curse active though which depletes my health until it reaches 1 HP, so idk if that counted nevertheless.

thx in advance and @Copanelegreat vids mate??.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasko_SOA said:

Just started the game yesterday and man it is fun! Definitely one of the better PS+ games :) one question though: Is there any way I can check how many times I've beaten a boss without taking damage?

I've beaten the first boss now without taking a hit, I had a curse active though which depletes my health until it reaches 1 HP, so idk if that counted nevertheless.

thx in advance and @Copanelegreat vids mate1f4aa-1f3fb.png.

Yes you have a no damage counter in the bestiary for each enemy and boss. 

If you have the final curse active and you no damage the boss, it will count. As long as you receive no boss damage you should be fine. 

Glad my videos helped! Did not expect this game to become a ps+ game xD

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Copanele said:

Yes you have a no damage counter in the bestiary for each enemy and boss. 

If you have the final curse active and you no damage the boss, it will count. As long as you receive no boss damage you should be fine. 

Glad my videos helped! Did not expect this game to become a ps+ game xD

Haha, yeah, now this has become a PS+ Game, it's my rarest platinum by far. See how long that lasts... :D

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Finch_III said:

Haha, yeah, now this has become a PS+ Game, it's my rarest platinum by far. See how long that lasts... :D

I know what you mean - in the last two weeks, it's gone from like my 15th rarest to my 4th ?

I like how PS+ has changed @Copanele's role with the game...

...when he made this thread, he was the guy making niche vids for a small, semi-unknown game, with a thread that was basically you, me and him exchanging war stories of a battle no one else was fighting...

...and now, he's the Elder Statesman for the latest new fad in PSNProfiles! ? ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I know what you mean - in the last two weeks, it's gone from like my 15th rarest to my 4th 1f62e.png

...when he made this thread, he was the guy making niche vids for a small, semi-unknown game, with a thread that was basically you, me and him exchanging war stories of a battle no one else was fighting...

...and now, he's the Elder Statesman for the latest new fad in PSNProfiles! 1f602.png 1f44d.png

Haha, sounds like he should start thinking about writing his memoirs. Take a leaf out of Caradog McCallister's book (or Bestiary). 

And by 'memoirs', I, of course, mean a walkthrough guide :D 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I know what you mean - in the last two weeks, it's gone from like my 15th rarest to my 4th 1f62e.png

...and now, he's the Elder Statesman for the latest new fad in PSNProfiles! 1f602.png 1f44d.png

Lol, so that's why I got the "promoted to Village Elder" pop up irl ?? this game made me famous

2 hours ago, Finch_III said:

Haha, sounds like he should start thinking about writing his memoirs. Take a leaf out of Caradog McCallister's book (or Bestiary). 

And by 'memoirs', I, of course, mean a walkthrough guide :D 

Sadly at the moment I don't have the time to write a guide for this game, although I would like to. Once I am done with the irl "Curse of the Living Gods" (stuff that involves moving out), I might consider writing a proper guide/walkthrough :D 

• Like 2

Is using Claw & Pistol still stunlock boss? I tried on Lord of the Storm but it did not work. The 4 squares combo end up the 5th is claw attack automatically. The 3 squares then triangle combo does exactly the same as OP's video, but the boss wasn't stunned lock at tall. I wonder if the dev patched it.

Just now, gelukrait said:

Is using Claw & Pistol still stunlock boss? I tried on Lord of the Storm but it did not work. The 4 squares combo end up the 5th is claw attack automatically. The 3 squares then triangle combo does exactly the same as OP's video, but the boss wasn't stunned lock at tall. I wonder if the dev patched it.

I'll download the game and let you know. I had to mash the triangle from time to time when I got the timing wrong so I would get that gun shot. 

Don't forget to walk towards the boss after the combo, because otherwise you won't stunlock it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

I'll download the game and let you know. I had to mash the triangle from time to time when I got the timing wrong so I would get that gun shot. 

Don't forget to walk towards the boss after the combo, because otherwise you won't stunlock it.

Thank you, I looking forward for your checking result. I repeated the boss fight over 10 times via save scumming. I did walk toward, but it did not work. I also try to roll toward to attack from behind, but it neither works. Hopefully, it's not the problem about timing attack.

32 minutes ago, gelukrait said:

Thank you, I looking forward for your checking result. I repeated the boss fight over 10 times via save scumming. I did walk toward, but it did not work. I also try to roll toward to attack from behind, but it neither works. Hopefully, it's not the problem about timing attack.

If the claw-pistol stun-lock build isn't working anymore, you could try the Sword of Conjuctivius build, which I had a lot of success with. (Although, I appreciate that doesn't help on your current playthrough!). 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gelukrait said:

Ok so...I have good news and bad news. Bad news is that yep it's a timing problem. Good news - boss can still be stunlocked

P.S. Sorry for the poor performance in this video xD I haven't played this game in a while so I messed up some combos and ate some attacks. But starting with 0:22 you can see that I can stunlock the boss with a full stamina bar.

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, gelukrait said:

I think it's just tricky to pull off - I messed around with @Copanele's build a bit, but I could never quite get the stun lock to pull of either - and that was defienetly when it was possible, and there had definitely not been any patches between when he did it and when I tried - I just couldn't get the timing down consistently. 

For that boss, I tended to be more successful when I went for big damage single hits, rather than dps - it also helps a lot if you get the curse that gives you longer invincibility on rolls - the one that makes you briefly invisible, and just stick and move, until he does the slower build up attacks, and go to town on him!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Ok so...I have good news and bad news. Bad news is that yep it's a timing problem. Good news - boss can still be stunlocked

P.S. Sorry for the poor performance in this video xD I haven't played this game in a while so I messed up some combos and ate some attacks. But starting with 0:22 you can see that I can stunlock the boss with a full stamina bar.

Thank you so much for your confirmation. I guess I need to practice more :D

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think it's just tricky to pull off - I messed around with @Copanele's build a bit, but I could never quite get the stun lock to pull of either - and that was defienetly when it was possible, and there had definitely not been any patches between when he did it and when I tried - I just couldn't get the timing down consistently. 

For that boss, I tended to be more successful when I went for big damage single hits, rather than dps - it also helps a lot if you get the curse that gives you longer invincibility on rolls - the one that makes you briefly invisible, and just stick and move, until he does the slower build up attacks, and go to town on him!

Thank you for your advice. I just started the game today, so I tried to test the safe build with claw first. I definitely will try cursed build with high damage once I able to unlock those weapons.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think you may have a point there - the timing might be tricky, in which case I wholeheartedly recommend @Finch_III's Sword of Conjunctivitis build. 

Or yes, any build that deals big fat damage to Lord of Storms works - he's the nastiest boss out there.

• Like 3

Just now, Copanele said:

I think you may have a point there - the timing might be tricky, in which case I wholeheartedly recommend @Finch_III's Sword of Conjunctivitis build. 

Or yes, any build that deals big fat damage to Lord of Storms works - he's the nastiest boss out there.

He is - it's worth noting @gelukrait - Lord of Storms actually was the very last boss I managed to get the 10 no hit kills on for the Bestiary trophy - even Clovis (the final boss) didn't give me as much trouble in those runs... so don't feel bad about having a rough time with him, he's a pain in the butt, especially with his ability to rush you from all the way off screen!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

He is - it's worth noting @gelukrait - Lord of Storms actually was the very last boss I managed to get the 10 no hit kills on for the Bestiary trophy - even Clovis (the final boss) didn't give me as much trouble in those runs... so don't feel bad about having a rough time with him, he's a pain in the butt, especially with his ability to rush you from all the way off screen!

Uhm, now I knew why I got so much troubles with the second boss, while I could get no damage with the first one on first try. Anyway, I will give it more tries, it's good chance to learn his moveset and timing to counter attack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gelukrait said:

Uhm, now I knew why I got so much troubles with the second boss, while I could get no damage with the first one on first try. Anyway, I will give it more tries, it's good chance to learn his moveset and timing to counter attack.

The Sword of Conjuctivius build is particularly good at beating the Lord of Storm because he stands completely still while 'calling the storms' and you can usually get two full critical hit combos on him for massive damage. He'll usually do a single attack after that, but you'll often have knocked his health down far enough that he starts calling the storm circles again. Another two or three combos. And then again for his third call. 

That said, I found the claw-pistol stunlock good for Clovis. I used it once or twice for him. And some bosses (like the Flesh Monstrosity – second Eagle boss) can be defeated without them getting an attack off. 

• Like 2

On 23.01.2022 at 0:18 PM, Copanele said:

DEBUNKED! Restarting ANY map resets the mobs you get, INCLUDING the Money/Relic/Stat rooms.

This will definitely make farming easier :D 

Hi.
I think Money/Relic/Stat rooms on 3rd biome are better then doing WeaponUp/Weapons rooms because the weapon rooms will only net you 1 rare elite (the 4th,5th,6th ones).
While the M/R/S rooms save scumming can reset and can grant you 0 to 4 IF your lucky enough. I dunno I'm still testing, sometimes the room stays the same which is odd. :/
P.S I think
Event runs have a higher chance of spawning rare elites in 2nd and 3rd biome. But you gotta get the Temple with the ones you want.

So how do you rate the difficulty of this Platinum ? 1 - 10 ?

Edited by Mr Green