Platinum Review Series

DansomeYT

Hello, my name is Dan and I have a YouTube channel where I review games. This isn't a plug for people to go to my channel, I'm actually looking for some specific feedback regarding a series I'm starting. As a gamer, I consider myself a completionist - I do everything in a game that I can before I review it so that I can give the best review possible. I think having a "platinum trophy" is GENERALLY a good source of credibility on the matter if people need it, proof that I got 100% on a game.

My question is - as fellow trophy hunters and completionists, what would you look for in a series like that? Would you like it to mostly just be a review of the game with a small blip about the trophies, or would you prefer the whole video to be about the 100% process? Genuinely curious because people like you are the target audience for this type of content.

Any responses massively appreciated, cheers.

If your review is solely about the trophies, then I appreciate the time you'd spend delving into the tasks required for 100%.

If you're just reviewing the game itself, I'd rather see your thoughts on the overall pacing of the game and the specific mechanics therein.

If it's an overall review, then a critique of the gameplay as it pertains to the completion process is more relevant.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Helyx said:

If your review is solely about the trophies, then I appreciate the time you'd spend delving into the tasks required for 100%.

If you're just reviewing the game itself, I'd rather see your thoughts on the overall pacing of the game and the specific mechanics therein.

If it's an overall review, then a critique of the gameplay as it pertains to the completion process is more relevant.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply!

All of what you said is what I'm trying to figure out lol Right now I just review games covering story, gameplay, presentation, etc - but I want to tie in 100% completion somehow since this isn't something other reviewers usually do. One of my more popular videos is a review for Assassin's Creed Valhalla because I took the time to 100% complete it unlike most outlets who rushed through, giving me a somewhat different take on the entire game than most. I've sort of fell into this as a niche and want to have a template of sorts to build my videos around. I think your third blip applies most to what I'm aiming for. Cover the game, spend a bit talking in detail about the completion process. Maybe it just needs to be that and I'm over complicating things in my head.

• Like 1

I'd concentrate on the game, and only mention the trophies if there is something particularly relevant about them - if the trophy list is particularly beneficial or detrimental to the enjoyment of the game, and makes a material difference to the experience.

The fact is, virtually every game out there will have a trophy guide somewhere for people who are interested, and the enjoyment to be found in completing a trophy list, (or lack thereof,) is inextricably tied to the quality of the game anyways. If a game is good, then even a rough list will be fun to do. If the game is bad, then even an easy list can feel like a slog - so really, the meat of critical analysis has to come from the game itself.

I'd argue that there isn't much scope for a critical analysis when it comes to a trophy list anyways - nine times out of ten, you would simply be saying "this was easy, this was hard, this was boring, this was fun" etc. Really, it's only in addressing the game itself that anyone is able to have any kind of unique or interesting take on a game. Trophies are simply a list of challenges. There isn't much scope to critique nuance in that. The game is the artistic part, and that's where there is room to explore different shades and slants of the experience of engaging with it.

Remember - even if you aren't specifically mentioning, (or concentrating on,) the trophies in the analysis you are presenting, the simply fact that you are 100%ing the trophies for a game before reviewing it will end up colouring your review anyway - that experience is likely to give you a more specific, less common perspective on the overall game, which will shine through in the review, even without citing trophies or the platinum journey explicitly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'd concentrate on the game, and only mention the trophies if there is something particularly relevant about them - if the trophy list is particularly beneficial or detrimental to the enjoyment of the game, and makes a material difference to the experience.

The fact is, virtually every game out there will have a trophy guide somewhere for people who are interested, and the enjoyment to be found in completing a trophy list, (or lack thereof,) is inextricably tied to the quality of the game anyways. If a game is good, then even a rough list will be fun to do. If the game is bad, then even an easy list can feel like a slog - so really, the meat of critical analysis has to come from the game itself.

I'd argue that there isn't much scope for a critical analysis when it comes to a trophy list anyways - nine times out of ten, you would simply be saying "this was easy, this was hard, this was boring, this was fun" etc. Really, it's only in addressing the game itself that anyone is able to have any kind of unique or interesting take on a game. Trophies are simply a list of challenges. There isn't much scope to critique nuance in that. The game is the artistic part, and that's where there is room to explore different shades and slants of the experience of engaging with it.

Remember - even if you aren't specifically mentioning, (or concentrating on,) the trophies in the analysis you are presenting, the simply fact that you are 100%ing the trophies for a game before reviewing it will end up colouring your review anyway - that experience is likely to give you a more specific, less common perspective on the overall game, which will shine through in the review, even without citing trophies or the platinum journey explicitly.

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. I made one tonight as a test for Astro's Playroom that will be live in the morning with exactly what you said, basically reviewing the game while briefly touching on the completionist/trophy aspect of things. I think it ended up having a good pace without focusing too much on the trophy bit - in the beginning I just establish credibility by saying "Before review I got the platinum trophy" with showing it visually pop on screen so people understand my perspective. I'll probably tweak as my audience engages with this sort of content, but overall I feel solid about the direction - thank you for the thoughts.

• Like 1

The best YouTuber in my opinion who does an excellent job in covering and pursuing trophies in a game is Adam McDermott. I discovered this guy years ago when I watched his Platinum Journey of Dead Space 2. Every episode of his series has been highly entertaining. He generally does games that present a bit of a challenge to him. 

There are others like LudiXP, GawdLikeMatt, Platchums, Iliya Kunin and PlatinumBro7 that I also recommend. Mystic is pretty good too.

I’m going to criticize a little on DrBloodMoney’s view here because there’s literally tons of people on YouTube who review games in general. However as a trophy hunter I expect more than just a regular review. I can already find previews and reviews of people who played Elden Ring on the PS5. They do not and will not mention trophies because as you guessed it, they are not trophy hunters. 

A great guy who reviewed games but also mentioned the trophies was CornshaqGaming. Sadly he no longer makes videos for YouTube but he reviewed a lot of games with trophies in mind. He was a casual trophy hunter, had around a 50 percent completion on his profile but he still enjoyed the hobby of trophy hunting. 

It’s up to you what you want to do. I can’t decide for you, but I must disagree with DrBloodMoney on the notion that covering a review while barely mentioning the trophies is to me, not fulfilling. Trophy hunter YouTubers are few and far between. They don’t get many views regardless, because YouTube is more of a platform for a general audience. 

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

The best YouTuber in my opinion who does an excellent job in covering and critiquing trophies in a game is Adam McDermott. I discovered this guy years ago when I watched his Platinum Journey of Dead Space 2. Every episode of his series has been highly entertaining. He generally does games that present a bit of a challenge to him. 

There are others like LudiXP, GawdLikeMatt, Platchums, Iliya Kunin and PlatinumBro7 that I also recommend. Mystic is pretty good too.

I’m going to criticize a little on DrBloodMoney’s view here because there’s literally tons of people on YouTube who review games in general. However as a trophy hunter I expect more than just a regular review. I can already find previews and reviews of people who played Elden Ring on the PS5. They do not and will not mention trophies because as you guessed it, they are not trophy hunters. 

A great guy who reviewed games but also mentioned the trophies was CornshaqGaming. Sadly he no longer makes videos for YouTube but he reviewed a lot of games with trophies in mind. He was a casual trophy hunter, had around a 50 percent completion on his profile but he still enjoyed the hobby of trophy hunting. 

It’s up to you what you want to do. I can’t decide for you, but I must disagree with DrBloodMoney on the notion that covering a review while barely mentioning the trophies is to me, not fulfilling. Trophy hunter YouTubers are few and far between. They don’t get many views regardless, because Youtube is more of a platform for a general audience. 

well i have over 1k subs, monetized, want to make sure i continue to grow - so if a singular trophy focus doesn't give me that, then its a bad route. i release a video today where i loosely talked about it in the beginning, middle and end. i think that'll be my direction moving forward.

17 minutes ago, DansomeYT said:

well i have over 1k subs, monetized, want to make sure i continue to grow - so if a singular trophy focus doesn't give me that, then its a bad route. i release a video today where i loosely talked about it in the beginning, middle and end. i think that'll be my direction moving forward.

I just skimmed over some of your videos. Pretty good overall. I will definitely be looking back at a couple games you covered just in case I decide to buy them in the foreseeable future.

If I were you I would definitely go ahead with the series. You've covered some games that are a bit niche, such as Spelunky 2, not exactly a game that the masses will cling to. Others like Call of Duty Vanguard are full on mainstream.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I just skimmed over some of your videos. Pretty good overall. I will definitely be looking back at a couple games you covered just in case I decide to buy them in the foreseeable future.

If I were you I would definitely go ahead with the series. You've covered some games that are a bit niche, such as Spelunky 2, not exactly a game that the masses will cling to. Others like Call of Duty Vanguard are full on mainstream.

moving forward im mostly only covering main stream games, taking the niche titles out of my rotation

6 hours ago, DansomeYT said:

its mostly a preference thing - i just like polished triple a titles over a lot of the smaller indie projects ive played

I'm the opposite. I've grown tired of AAA games and mostly play old games and indie titles.

Dead Space 1 and the original Bioshock were far more exciting to me, back in 2008 and 2007 when I first played them. It's likely because I'm getting older.