EU court: Nintendo can't stop people from hacking their consoles

Lady Lilith

http://bgr.com/2014/01/23/nintendo-console-hacking-court-ruling/

wiiu110607171359.jpg?w=870

There has been plenty of discussion lately on how Nintendo can recover from its downward spiral, but none of the potential solutions have included allowing users to hack their consoles. Nevertheless, this might be a future Nintendo has to face if a recent European Union court ruling is upheld. Europe Online Magazine reports that the EU’s top court ruled on Thursday that “Nintendo cannot prevent its consoles from being tampered with to play multimedia from other providers, except in the case of illegally copied video games.”

The issue went to the EU court after Italian company PC Box argued that its hardware, which allows Wii owners to play games from any region (a feature which is prohibited by default on Nintendo’s system), should be available for those who want more out of their consoles. In a victory for consumer rights, the court agreed with PC Box, informing Nintendo that it could only step in when copyrighted material was being stolen, sold or reproduced.

As Gameranx notes, Nintendo will almost certainly step in to contest the decision. If the Nintendo executives were willing to think outside of the box, something they have proven time and time again they are incapable of, they might realize that the hacking community has kept the Wii and the DS relevant for many gamers who might otherwise have abandoned the last-gen consoles. Unfortunately, this decision could set a precedent that many companies would not willing to comply with.

The part where they said the hacking community has kept the Wii and DS alive (especially the Wii) is funny because it's so true.  Again, Wii more than DS.  At least DS has stuff like Pokemon Black/White 1/2.

Also explains why most manufacturers make consoles multi-regions these days - it gives other companies less wriggle room

The problem is that I can't see how hacking keeps the consoles alive...

I didn't really mean keeping them alive per say.  I more meant keeping them relevant, as in people still using them (although for emulation) instead of just collecting dust or whatever.

Also, just thought I'd add that I recently dug out my old Calvin and Hobbes books after seeing them at work and in your sig, and I really missed them.  Some of them are quite hilarious.  Even the duller ones are still very entertaining.

Edited by Sonic

Also explains why most manufacturers make consoles multi-regions these days - it gives other companies less wriggle room

The problem is that I can't see how hacking keeps the consoles alive...

Ever wonder why Psp was sold more than vita?

I didn't really mean keeping them alive per say.  I more meant keeping them relevant, as in people still using them (although for emulation) instead of just collecting dust or whatever.

Also, just thought I'd add that I recently dug out my old Calvin and Hobbes books after seeing them at work and in your sig, and I really missed them.  Some of them are quite hilarious.  Even the duller ones are still very entertaining.

Here's some fan art.

http://i.imgur.com/OEhLNe5.jpg

http://phill-art.deviantart.com/gallery/44588634

Edited by Wandererster
  • Like 1

I guess, although Wii was kept on top with the family friendly approach - it was a great commercial idea in my opinion, and one that Nintendo should be proud of - but they then got to full of themselves and expect this same population to run out and buy a stupidly expensive console which would be obsolete 1 year into it's existance ;)

As for Calvin and Hobbes, I just remembered the comics recently and thought that so many are relevant and/or funny that it's a great suit for a sig - if people want to see my trophies, they can go on my profile :P

Hacking may keep the comunity alive but that doesn't mean nintendo makes money of it, they would make a lot more money if people just paid for the their wii games :P

And they'd make even more money if they would've made a console that genuine core gamers would enjoy as well as keeping their commitment to third party support. :hmm: 

Parker 

And they'd make even more money if they would've made a console that genuine core gamers would enjoy as well as keeping their commitment to third party support. :hmm:

Parker 

Indeed  :P  The thing is by naming the console wii again they lost a lot of potential customers. The old nintendo things look at Wii U and and say not going to do that again and the casual gamers will say that they already have a Wii so why buy a new one. The third party thing isn't really an issue since nintendo's own titles should be enough to warrent a purchase. 

I'm still hoping that Nintendo will go the Sega route without losing quality, will prob never happen though.