Game decimates my PS3

Mokujin

I know this game is a game that crashes very often, but after playing other games and getting back to Red Dead, it absolutely kills it. The console gets red hot, inside starts making bizarre noises, and oftentimes it completely bricks my console. Downloaded games, PS1 games and other disc games (eg Tekken 6) completely fine not a single problem. But Red Dead completely bricks the console and I have to do the horrible thing and turn it off at the wall. Is this generally a common occurrence for either RDR in particular, “bigger” PS3 games, or just PS3s in general, and is this a cause for concern that all this freezing/bricking etc will murder my PS3? Thanks!!

• 1 year later...

Same thing happens to me on a PS3 slim. I have a disc and the digital version of the game. Both have the same problem. I have a Fat boy I can try it on but I doubt it'll yield different results. This game is massively unstable on PS3. I am currently making my way through the SP 100% (already have all the MP done). I swear I can play for maybe 30 mins and then it completely hardlocks and I have to turn the PS3 off. Which normally wouldn't be a huge deal in other games but the auto saves here are few and far between. I've seen others complain about this issue on both PS3 & 360 in forums dating back to 2010. It baffles me with how consistently garbage the game runs. Every time someone brings it up, first response is always something along the lines of "well, your console is probably dying". I highly doubt it because hundreds of other PS3 games work flawlessly for several hours at a time with no freezing. 

Damn what the hell I made this thread?

anyway. I feel like it was a red dead issue back then for sure. Every other game I’ve played since has been fine and played well (except far cry 4 but the console was fine the game just sucks for performance).

almost 2 years have gone by and my ps3 still works like a dream so if randomly later on there are Red Dead issues it’s got to be that at fault.

17 minutes ago, RaidenXS said:

When was the last time you've defragged your PS3?

what's that?