Struggling with a controller

pinkrobot_pb

How are you folks racing this game, with a controller or a wheel/pedal combo? It feels to me like this game is geared towards wheel and PC users more than ever in the series. (The partnership with Fanatec and the mouse cursor pretty much gives that away from the start).

Now, I have been a reasonably adept sim racer since the 90's, so I can appreciate the WRC games going more in that direction. However, it feels like the console experience seems to suffer when you just want to use a controller. It may just be me, but I am having a really hard time even trying to keep my car in a straight line using my stock PS4 controller.

I found some settings online for deadzone, sensitivity and other control settings, but that only marginally makes it better. Do I need to wait with this one until I buy my sim rig later this year, or is there some special setting I have not found yet?

• Like 1

Same here. I agree with you. I have this issue with the 7, 8, 9 and 10th games.

I tried lots of combination of control settings but none of them helps.

Especially on tarmac stages i cannot keep the modern wrc cars straight on road.

I found easier to control them on deadzone zero and sensitivity about -6 or -7 for myself. It may depend on everyone’s choice though!

But for classic cars i added some deadzone input depending on each car.

On gravel they are managable. I have not much problem as I have on asphalt.

But overall, yeah playing with dualshock is bad especially on tarmac..

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. I am glad I am at least not the only one struggling. I tried again last night and I just can not push at all using these controls.

The last game I enjoyed in this series was WRC 6 on PS4. I had great fun trying to beat the top times at Great Orme. At some point I was top 10 in the world there using a controller. But then I could still really throw the car around with a controller.

Since WRC 7 it has only been a chore to be honest. I can not seem to get into attack mode at all, I have to focus to just keep the car on the road or else I am done for.

I guess I will just put this one on the back burner until I buy my new wheel combo.

46 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I tried again last night and I just can not push at all using these controls.

Exactly my thoughts on WRC 8. I was doing a WRC career mode season on normal difficulty, but the times the IA set were way more difficult to beat than in WRC 2 seasons. I remember struggling in Germany, because once it started raining, there was no way I was gonna be able to set a decent time; the rain physisc in that game are awful.  Every time you hit a puddle the car just spins and you lose control. 

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like the cars in this franchise are too lightweight. 

• Like 1

On 16-4-2022 at 9:55 PM, LuisOMGamer said:

The rain physisc in that game are awful.

Yes definitely. And if you would believe it, WRC 6 was even worse. As soon as the tyres sense a puddle, you just fly off the road as if aquaplaning is something that happens everywhere all the time. They toned it down a little for later games, but it's still pretty laughable.

The physics as a whole are very floaty. The only place in WRC 7 where they make sense is on the ice stages to be honest. On gravel and asphalt, it's pretty appalling. That is why I am grinding out wins, stages and mileage in WRC 7 on a couple of the Sweden stages, simply because I get so annoyed with the physics on gravel and asphalt :D

I also share your thoughts about the weight of the car. Shifting weight is incredibly important in rallying or racing in general, but it seems to be completely ignored here. If Grand Prix Legends got this right back in 1998, how come an officially licensed WRC game can still not get its head around this in 2021?

Anyway, I really do not want to crap on this franchise too much. I have had plenty of enjoyable hours with these games, even if they are not the best. I just regret them starting to feel like a chore more and more over the years.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

If Grand Prix Legends got this right back in 1998, how come an officially licensed WRC game can still not get its head around this in 2021?

Anyway, I really do not want to crap on this franchise too much. I have had plenty of enjoyable hours with these games, even if they are not the best. I just regret them starting to feel like a chore more and more over the years.

First off, definitely. I wonder why WRC games aren't on top of the best rally games. You know, they have the license about pretty much everything WRC related. Code Masters did a terrific job in Dirt Rally 2.0. That game is something else, compared to WRC games, in my opinion. 

Second, although I hate these games, and the end of the day I still have fun with them. They have a unique "style", I guess. Hopefully they improve everything wrong with WRC 10 in the next WRC. One can only dream. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 15.4.2022 at 0:55 PM, pinkrobot_pb said:

How are you folks racing this game, with a controller or a wheel/pedal combo? It feels to me like this game is geared towards wheel and PC users more than ever in the series. (The partnership with Fanatec and the mouse cursor pretty much gives that away from the start).

Now, I have been a reasonably adept sim racer since the 90's, so I can appreciate the WRC games going more in that direction. However, it feels like the console experience seems to suffer when you just want to use a controller. It may just be me, but I am having a really hard time even trying to keep my car in a straight line using my stock PS4 controller.

I found some settings online for deadzone, sensitivity and other control settings, but that only marginally makes it better. Do I need to wait with this one until I buy my sim rig later this year, or is there some special setting I have not found yet?

In my mind WRC10 is easier to drive with controller than WRC9. It very much depends which car are you driving. That difference is huge woth different cars. I had trouble to find good settings too but managed to find those eventually. Now driving feels actually quite enjoyable. At first I thought that this game was designed to the wheel only but you really can manage with conrtoller too. It just takes time to learn it. 

• Like 1