Don't Believe All Reviews

WreckItRob1990

Completed the game a couple days back and very confused why this game has mostly negative reviews. its a really good souls-like game and it plays like them so when people complain how it plays, it makes no sense as it feels like dark souls to me. graphics are amazing for a indie game, heck some triple A games i seen has worse graphics. All the weapons and guns feel different plus it has a third person mode when shooting so that's unique for a souls like as i heard many reviews moan it doesn't have anything new to give. I really don't understand when hearing these reviews.

the things it could of improved on are the npcs as their basically all the same and do nothing expect give weapon parts. The other would be some bosses as some are just bigger versions of creatures but only a couple but be honest, i do think some of the bosses could of been improved. Some areas could of had more stuff as some areas just had story bits you can read.

Part from this, i think the game is really enjoyable and worth it. i bought it for £25 physical and defo worth the price. 

If you like souls like, i can't see why you won't enjoy this.

• Like 3

since you brought the " it's a souls like " and " reviewers blast it for not bringing anything new " then there you go.

people started to really grew bored and annoyed by this overused formula that everyone especially indies are doing right now, and now with the massive success of elden ring expect more indies will do souls like to cash in on the trend.

or in the short answer, maybe the game sucked?

I never played Dolmen myself so take what I said with a grain of salt.

I mean, I didn't hate it. But I didn't love it either. Too short and the enemies were bland and forgettable. Also the areas were too too linear. And most of the time when I'm checking out a path, most of the time it leads to a dead end with nothing to find.

Even that locked door at the beginning. After the first beacon with the two spider eggs and red aura enemy in front of it. When i first played through, i was like "oh maybe i gotta find a key. Maybe its something neat behind there." But no, its just a door you unlock from the other side. And theres literally no reason to go through it when you reach the other side of that door. Its gonna stay locked all playthrough. There's a lot of pointless paths like that. 

The only thing I thought was pretty neat was the bonuses from wearing different types of armor. That's it. 

I think mainly, it's just not worth 40 dollars. MAYBE 20 dollars.  And the bosses don't even get any stronger or have more health in multi-player so anytime you go in with 4 people, the boss gets demolished within 10 to 30 seconds. 

Like I said, I didn't hate it. But I can totally understand why it's getting bad reviews. I'd recommend picking it up on sale. 

Edited by Profeelgood
Adding more info
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2022 at 10:13 AM, yellowwindow7 said:

people started to really grew bored and annoyed by this overused formula

Honestly I'm definitely sick of it. Every goddamn time I find a game I might enjoy it either has the "souls like" or "rogue like" bullshit attached to it. Or the newest one I've noticed to saturate the gaming industry: those damn deck building games. I'm sick to death of all these overused genres. 

• Like 1

On 30/05/2022 at 11:04 PM, Lonemankane said:

Most souls clones get knocked down for what they try to do. but some souls clones suck badly. like immortal unchained and lords of the fallen

Speak for yourself, I adored lords of the fallen, did 3 straight playthroughs to get the plat AND paid for and completed the dlc.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, harper2704 said:

Speak for yourself, I adored lords of the fallen, did 3 straight playthroughs to get the plat AND paid for and completed the dlc.

Maybe so but the game is not the best. the game itself has alot of laws that makes it a bad clone of souls like and so on. It is fine to enjoy or like that game but just saying it is a flawed game. much like how i enjoy the surge 1 and so on. i don't like 2 as much as others but i like 1 the most.

• 6 months later...
On 8/5/2023 at 1:48 AM, Lonemankane said:

Maybe so but the game is not the best. the game itself has alot of laws that makes it a bad clone of souls like and so on. It is fine to enjoy or like that game but just saying it is a flawed game. much like how i enjoy the surge 1 and so on. i don't like 2 as much as others but i like 1 the most.

Funnily enough since I posted this I managed to find a second hand copy of immortal unchained and got the platinum on that, loved every second. 2 games yoy think are bad are 2 of my favorite games of all time 🤣

• Like 1

8 hours ago, harper2704 said:

Funnily enough since I posted this I managed to find a second hand copy of immortal unchained and got the platinum on that, loved every second. 2 games yoy think are bad are 2 of my favorite games of all time 🤣

Good on you for enjoying them games but even though you enjoyed them don't need to throw it in someone's face like they are wrong for thinking it is shit but at the same time I would say to admit to the games faults and problems as some of the games I love have them and you don't see me run up to people saying it is this game is the best and your crazy for thinking otherwise.

We all have our own take on games, just play them and enjoy them and don't fire down someone's else outlook on a game just because it does not suit your look, be more open to others outlook on the game

Edited by Lonemankane

7 hours ago, Lonemankane said:

Good on you for enjoying them games but even though you enjoyed them don't need to throw it in someone's face like they are wrong for thinking it is shit but at the same time I would say to admit to the games faults and problems as some of the games I love have them and you don't see me run up to people saying it is this game is the best and your crazy for thinking otherwise.

We all have our own take on games, just play them and enjoy them and don't fire down someone's else outlook on a game just because it does not suit your look, be more open to others outlook on the game

Calm down dude, i dont know how you got all that from my comment, i never once said youre wrong, crazy or whatever, I wasn't throwing it in your face, it was just an observation of how wildly different 2 people's opinions can be. 

Edited by harper2704

19 hours ago, harper2704 said:

Calm down dude, i dont know how you got all that from my comment, i never once said youre wrong, crazy or whatever, I wasn't throwing it in your face, it was just an observation of how wildly different 2 people's opinions can be. 

I took your reply as if you was pushing it in my face due to how you worded it. if you meant not to that is fine.

• 1 month later...