PSA: PS5 upgrade now available to all PS+ owners for free

HusKy

7 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Thank you for confirming. I'm assuming you still have access to the PS5 version of What Remains of Edith Finch and that if you were to attempt to download the PS5 version now it wouldn't bring an error message?

Thanks for linking the thread. I will check out the Annapurna discord. 

I just checked on my PS5. When I selected Edith Finch in my library I could choose between PS4 and PS5 version to download. Both had a PSPlus icon at the top of the game image indicating it's tied to PSPlus. I also had no problem starting and playing the PS5 version.

What I did notice is when I select the 3 dots just below the installed game icon and go to the product page, I have a dropdown with 2 selections, both selections are named 'Game'.
If I select the first one I have a button 'choose version' and if I select that I get the screen to select a version to download. If I click the 3 dots next to the 'choose version' button, I can buy it for 19.99.
But if I select the second game I get a button 'Play game' that starts the installed game and the 3 dots don't give an option to upgrade.

So maybe check that product page again on PS5 and see what both 'game' options give. It all came back to me that I was fiddling around with it a bit as well when claiming the free upgrade as a PSPlus member. Maybe you have to claim it again? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kolm said:

I just checked on my PS5. When I selected Edith Finch in my library I could choose between PS4 and PS5 version to download. Both had a PSPlus icon at the top of the game image indicating it's tied to PSPlus. I also had no problem starting and playing the PS5 version.

What I did notice is when I select the 3 dots just below the installed game icon and go to the product page, I have a dropdown with 2 selections, both selections are named 'Game'.
If I select the first one I have a button 'choose version' and if I select that I get the screen to select a version to download. If I click the 3 dots next to the 'choose version' button, I can buy it for 19.99.
But if I select the second game I get a button 'Play game' that starts the installed game and the 3 dots don't give an option to upgrade.

So maybe check that product page again on PS5 and see what both 'game' options give. It all came back to me that I was fiddling around with it a bit as well when claiming the free upgrade as a PSPlus member. Maybe you have to claim it again? 

Thanks for the detailed post. The 3 dots doesn't give me game options, only the option to download, unfollow and privacy terms.

In fact, on my Playstation store Edith Finch is not shown with any price tag. It simply says 'free PS5 upgrade' so it seems it's not available to purchase for me at all since I got that refund a while ago.

8 minutes ago, HusKy said:

I think your account is somehow "broken" because of the refund and you won't be able to claim it and the support is just giving you wrong info about PS+ requirement.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing.

I've just spoken to Playstation Support who said they will escalate the case again, highlighting the fact that I was having this issue before the game was added to the higher tier collections, and that it's not even available for me to purchase from the store normally. They said they will also highlight the fact that I've told them I've spoken to people who can access the PS version on essential.

Fingers crossed they actually look into it thoroughly this time and not just come back with the same generic answer that contradicts basic facts. Thanks for everyone's responses so far. 

• 3 months later...

Well, after months of back and forth with Sony I randomly gained free access to the PS5 upgrade today! ?

In early Jan they emailed me to say that the reason I couldn't purchase the PS5 version from the store is because I already acquired a version of the game through PS Plus and would have to wait for my PS Plus subscription to expire to be able to purchase it again lol. This was obviously rubbish seeing as the whole reason I got in this mess is because I purchased the PS5 version (and got a refund) not knowing that I could have got it for free through PS Plus.

At this point it was obvious that they were just lying about anything to avoid giving me access to the free upgrade so I decided to just wait it out, predicting that eventually my account would correct itself because there was no way I was gonna let my subscription lapse knowing that they'd just make up a new excuse around that. And I certainly wasn't gonna upgrade to a higher tier like they were encouraging me to on principle. Then today I saw that not only was I able to purchase the game but that I now had free access to the PS5 upgrade through my Playstation Plus version. And no, before you ask, I haven't downloaded the new system update yet so that is not what fixed the problem.  Made sure to play and plat it today just in case and had no problems. Still an absolute masterpiece of the walking sim genre btw.

In short, if anyone encounters a similar issue with Playstation Support do not give in to their lies! Just wait for the account to correct itself, even if it takes a few months. Thanks to everyone on this thread who tried to help. It was reassuring to know I wasn't going crazy lol ? In future I will check again if the publisher has enabled a free upgrade to a PS Plus version before purchasing.

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom