PSA: PS5 upgrade now available to all PS+ owners for free

HusKy

1 hour ago, HusKy said:

You need to do this through PS5. Not available on mobile or web AFAIK.

Oh, great, just great. Another Final Fantasy VII Remake situation. At least he's no longer alone.

For anyone that claimed it: does the game stay tied to the Plus subscription?

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Oh, great, just great. Another Final Fantasy VII Remake situation. At least he's no longer alone.

For anyone that claimed it: does the game stay tied to the Plus subscription?

It shows a PSPlus icon next to the title after I installed it on PS5 just as with other PSPlus titles so I assume it's still tied to the PSPlus subscription.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/09/2022 at 7:09 AM, HusKy said:

(I know this is being discussed in the old thread but I completely missed it because it's not so obvious from the title.)

You can now claim the PS5 version if you own the PS+ version for free.

To do this, go to store listing, and switch the listing to second "game". It should be available for free. After you claim it, you can install both PS4 and PS5 versions of the game.

Hi, so I've been in a bit of a dispute with Playstation Support over this. They're saying that the "free" PS5 upgrade is only available for PS+ users on the higher tiers i.e. Extra and Premium, not regular. This really makes no sense since we know that Annapurna made this free back in September before it was added to the higher tiers, and the entire point of a free upgrade path is that it's, you know, free without additional cost.

I got PS4 version of What Remains of Edith Finch in 2019 via the old PS+ model but Playstation Support says I have to upgrade to get the PS5 Version of it. The weird thing is I can still download the PS4 version from my collections but when I try to download the PS5 version it says I need to buy PS+

However, this error message was appearing even before Sony added What Remains of Edith Finch to the higher tiers which makes me think it's a technical glitch that Sony are using as an opportunity to make me upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Hi, so I've been in a bit of a dispute with Playstation Support over this. They're saying that the "free" PS5 upgrade is only available for PS+ users on the higher tiers i.e. Extra and Premium, not regular. This really makes no sense since we know that Annapurna made this free back in September before it was added to the higher tiers, and the entire point of a free upgrade path is that it's, you know, free without additional cost.

I got PS4 version of What Remains of Edith Finch in 2019 via the old PS+ model but Playstation Support says I have to upgrade to get the PS5 Version of it. The weird thing is I can still download the PS4 version from my collections but when I try to download the PS5 version it says I need to buy PS+

However, this error message was appearing even before Sony added What Remains of Edith Finch to the higher tiers which makes me think it's a technical glitch that Sony are using as an opportunity to make me upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried giving them the transaction number for the PS4 version?

I don't think so but I'll try tomorrow. I did try restoring the license  as per Support's instructions but that didn't work.

How would the transaction number help?

They would be able to see that you actually claimed it when it was a free game on PSPlus (= old PSPlus that is now PSPlus essential). So it has to be the transaction number of when you claimed it on PSPlus back in the day.

Compare it with a bank statement or a receipt that proves that you bought something.

26 minutes ago, Kolm said:

They would be able to see that you actually claimed it when it was a free game on PSPlus (= old PSPlus that is now PSPlus essential). So it has to be the transaction number of when you claimed it on PSPlus back in the day.

Compare it with a bank statement or a receipt that proves that you bought something.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly:

Sony are fully aware that I obtained it when it was a free game on PS Plus back in 2019 (PS Plus Essential being the equivalent of PS+ back then). What they are saying is that in order to get access to the PS5 upgrade I would have to switch to Extra or Premium. In other words, they're saying the PS5 version of What Remains of Edith Finch is exclusive to the higher PS+ tiers. I am currently only on PS+ Essential.

Just to check, was everybody who managed to download the PS5 version back in September on higher tiers or Essential?  

Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly:

Sony are fully aware that I obtained it when it was a free game on PS Plus back in 2019 (PS Plus Essential being the equivalent of PS+ back then). What they are saying is that in order to get access to the PS5 upgrade I would have to switch to Extra or Premium. In other words, they're saying the PS5 version of What Remains of Edith Finch is exclusive to the higher PS+ tiers. I am currently only on PS+ Essential.

Just to check, was everybody who managed to download the PS5 version back in September on higher tiers or Essential?  

Thanks for explaining.

I can confirm that I got the PS5 upgrade and that I never had a higher tier for PSPlus than essential.
They want me to upgrade for the full 2 years left of my essential subscription and that's not gonna happen! ?

I'm also sure I got the PS4 version through PSPlus and didn't buy it myself: I could see that in my library on PS4 and just checked in my mails as well that I got it for free.

The PS5 upgrade also wasn't free when it was free for people that bought it. It is only when it became free for PSPlus members that I could claim it.

Hope that helps :) 

PS: This thread is the reason I don't even want to upgrade even more! They might just mess up everything for old PSPlus games on PS3/PSVita when going back and forth between subscriptions...
Not that it does, but I see them doing it... it isn't the first time people had trouble with access to PS3/PSVita if their subscription expired for a short time before extending it.

Edit: I assume you read the other thread already but maybe it's worth contacting Annapurna through their Discord?

Edited by Kolm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kolm said:

Thanks for explaining.

I can confirm that I got the PS5 upgrade and that I never had a higher tier for PSPlus than essential.
They want me to upgrade for the full 2 years left of my essential subscription and that's not gonna happen! 1f605.png

I'm also sure I got the PS4 version through PSPlus and didn't buy it myself: I could see that in my library on PS4 and just checked in my mails as well that I got it for free.

The PS5 upgrade also wasn't free when it was free for people that bought it. It is only when it became free for PSPlus members that I could claim it.

Hope that helps :) 

PS: This thread is the reason I don't even want to upgrade even more! They might just mess up everything for old PSPlus games on PS3/PSVita when going back and forth between subscriptions...
Not that it does, but I see them doing it... it isn't the first time people had trouble with access to PS3/PSVita if their subscription expired for a short time before extending it.

Edit: I assume you read the other thread already but maybe it's worth contacting Annapurna through their Discord?

Thank you for confirming. I'm assuming you still have access to the PS5 version of What Remains of Edith Finch and that if you were to attempt to download the PS5 version now it wouldn't bring an error message?

Thanks for linking the thread. I will check out the Annapurna discord. 

1 minute ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Thank you for confirming. I'm assuming you still have access to the PS5 version of What Remains of Edith Finch and that if you were to attempt to download the PS5 version now it wouldn't bring an error message?

Thanks for linking the thread. I will check out the Annapurna discord. 

I downloaded and played the game a month ago. On the PC store I can't buy the cross-buy version because I own another version.

I can check tomorrow if I can still download and start the PS5 version :)