Challenge Mode Tips for Ver 1.05

Thedah

• 4 months later...

After 3 months off and on, with more time being spent within the last few weeks doing the challenges, I finally succeeded in unlocking the “Go through a hardship” trophy!

KjBLYos.jpg

It feels so good to have this done rather than that empty feeling of relief after getting something difficult over with. This is possibly my most hard earned trophy yet. Wanna say thanks to @Thedah for the few tips that helped me get over hurdles of certain challenges or just made certain parts easier, including their 3C cancel into 41236 tip in Kanu’s 15th challenge that also helped me later in Soso’s 14th challenge, their 5B cancel into 623C tip that made the last 2 inputs of Kakoen’s 14th challenge a bit easier to finish off, and their tip for Choryo’s challenges that involved holding the D button instead of mashing on follow up. Now that the “big kahuna” of the trophy list is out of the way, the only plat blockers left are “Divine Combo” and “Bacho Master” that I’m looking forward to complete soon. Some general tips I’d like to share:

Almost every character’s 14th and 15th challenge has a difficult beginning part that 95% of the time you will be stuck on and will be retrying the most. For this reason, practice the beginning part until you reach the middle part of the combo for the first or second time. Once you reach this far start practicing the end part of the combo. When picking where to start consider choosing a part where there is a “launcher” input, usually coming in the form of 3B (1B if reverse) or any move that “launches” the dummy in the air, then from there practice the combo to the end. Or, you can also start on an input right after the dummy is in the air by doing a hougeki (6B), then launching them with a 3B, then go from there. In fact when practicing, make sure you do a hougeki first before inputting any parts of the combo so the dummy will (usually) fly in the way it’s supposed to. After doing it enough to where you can comfortably do that part of the combo and have the inputs memorized, repeat said strategy for the middle part of the combo and repeat until your mind is comfortable with these set of inputs, memorizing them as well. When practicing the middle part, feel free to continue all the way to the end of the combo, if possible. Once you feel comfortable and have the middle and end parts built into your memory, go ahead and start the combo from the beginning. Now with all this being said, your mind will half the time still not be ready because your mind will still be “surprised” or not expect reaching a “new” part of the combo for the first time and still “forget” what to press at the given moment, because your mind is still not used to the full 20+ input combo as a whole, even though you practiced and succeeded the divided parts separately numerous times before. It’s okay if this happens…trust in the process of muscle memory through constant retrying. Because you practiced smaller portions of the combo beforehand your mind will be equipped, more ready, and will have an easier time in connecting all the separate parts of the combo together, eventually remembering effortlessly what comes next after every input of the combo, as opposed to always starting from input 1 and learning how to do this part over and over, and after a long while finally reaching the middle (and now learning how to do this part that will also take awhile by trying it over and over repeatedly too), then eventually the end parts - a much slower way to progress and learning the whole combo since you’ll most likely be stuck trying to get past the beginning of the combo most of the time, rarely getting to the middle and end parts. Now after all this being said, practicing parts of the combo by segments won’t work as well for certain characters’ challenges because depending where in the combo, the dummy will fly in a way that is totally different from how the demonstration shows it and will prevent you from continuing the combo, or there’s just nowhere to start practicing any middle or end portion of the combo because the nature of the combo does not allow it. Portions of Kannei’s 14th and 15th challenges are an example of this because of her Close C, when on contact, the dummy will bounce to the ground and fly straight up in the air, throwing the combo off, instead of flying forward like the demonstration shows. At this point the best you can do is keep a note of these inputs, work around them and find other “starter” points of the combo, if you can, and go from there. Unfortunately, the inputs you have to work around could only be practiced properly when starting from the very beginning of the combo, possibly making learning the whole combo more difficult. To make things worse this will be the case for most characters to different degrees, depending on how many inputs could be practiced separately or not, but this method is still the best way possible imo on ingraining the whole combo into memory. Also, instead of dividing the whole combo into three parts, you can just try dividing it into only two if it makes it easier, while following the same guidelines. I’m hoping all this makes sense. Perhaps a video example would make all this clear enough if requested.

Record your challenge sessions! You can do this by either double tapping the ‘share’ button to start recording and double tapping it again to end recording. This was how I was doing it until I found out that you can just play regularly and at any point you came across gameplay that just passed and want recorded, just press the share button once, then the square button once, and there you go, anything between the last time you previously pressed the ‘share’ button (or if you haven’t pressed it yet, the clip starts the moment you loaded the game) to the moment you pressed it currently will be recorded. Also, record a clip of the challenge’s demonstration so you can not only analyze frame by frame on how to do the difficult areas of the combo, but also you can compare your own clip to the demonstration’s. This will allow you to see what you are doing wrong (or right) and what changes you need to make in order to do the combo successfully. Also, you’ll be able to catch moments where something that’s not identical to the demonstration can work and you can use that as your strategy for the combo instead.

Good luck to everyone attempting this trophy! I may give my own challenge tips for certain characters at a later date.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Lum said:

After 3 months off and on, with more time being spent within the last few weeks doing the challenges, I finally succeeded in unlocking the “Go through a hardship” trophy!

KjBLYos.jpg

It feels so good to have this done rather than that empty feeling of relief after getting something difficult over with. This is possibly my most hard earned trophy yet. Wanna say thanks to @Thedah for the few tips that helped me get over hurdles of certain challenges or just made certain parts easier, including their 3C cancel into 41236 tip in Kanu’s 15th challenge that also helped me later in Soso’s 14th challenge, their 5B cancel into 623C tip that made the last 2 inputs of Kakoen’s 14th challenge a bit easier to finish off, and their tip for Choryo’s challenges that involved holding the D button instead of mashing on follow up. Now that the “big kahuna” of the trophy list is out of the way, the only plat blockers left are “Divine Combo” and “Bacho Master” that I’m looking forward to complete soon. Some general tips I’d like to share:

Almost every character’s 14th and 15th challenge has a difficult beginning part that 95% of the time you will be stuck on and will be retrying the most. For this reason, practice the beginning part until you reach the middle part of the combo for the first or second time. Once you reach this far start practicing the end part of the combo. When picking where to start consider choosing a part where there is a “launcher” input, usually coming in the form of 3B (1B if reverse) or any move that “launches” the dummy in the air, then from there practice the combo to the end. Or, you can also start on an input right after the dummy is in the air by doing a hougeki (6B), then launching them with a 3B, then go from there. In fact when practicing, make sure you do a hougeki first before inputting any parts of the combo so the dummy will (usually) fly in the way it’s supposed to. After doing it enough to where you can comfortably do that part of the combo and have the inputs memorized, repeat said strategy for the middle part of the combo and repeat until your mind is comfortable with these set of inputs, memorizing them as well. When practicing the middle part, feel free to continue all the way to the end of the combo, if possible. Once you feel comfortable and have the middle and end parts built into your memory, go ahead and start the combo from the beginning. Now with all this being said, your mind will half the time still not be ready because your mind will still be “surprised” or not expect reaching a “new” part of the combo for the first time and still “forget” what to press at the given moment, because your mind is still not used to the full 20+ input combo as a whole, even though you practiced and succeeded the divided parts separately numerous times before. It’s okay if this happens…trust in the process of muscle memory through constant retrying. Because you practiced smaller portions of the combo beforehand your mind will be equipped, more ready, and will have an easier time in connecting all the separate parts of the combo together, eventually remembering effortlessly what comes next after every input of the combo, as opposed to always starting from input 1 and learning how to do this part over and over, and after a long while finally reaching the middle (and now learning how to do this part that will also take awhile by trying it over and over repeatedly too), then eventually the end parts - a much slower way to progress and learning the whole combo since you’ll most likely be stuck trying to get past the beginning of the combo most of the time, rarely getting to the middle and end parts. Now after all this being said, practicing parts of the combo by segments won’t work as well for certain characters’ challenges because depending where in the combo, the dummy will fly in a way that is totally different from how the demonstration shows it and will prevent you from continuing the combo, or there’s just nowhere to start practicing any middle or end portion of the combo because the nature of the combo does not allow it. Portions of Kannei’s 14th and 15th challenges are an example of this because of her Close C, when on contact, the dummy will bounce to the ground and fly straight up in the air, throwing the combo off, instead of flying forward like the demonstration shows. At this point the best you can do is keep a note of these inputs, work around them and find other “starter” points of the combo, if you can, and go from there. Unfortunately, the inputs you have to work around could only be practiced properly when starting from the very beginning of the combo, possibly making learning the whole combo more difficult. To make things worse this will be the case for most characters to different degrees, depending on how many inputs could be practiced separately or not, but this method is still the best way possible imo on ingraining the whole combo into memory. Also, instead of dividing the whole combo into three parts, you can just try dividing it into only two if it makes it easier, while following the same guidelines. I’m hoping all this makes sense. Perhaps a video example would make all this clear enough if requested.

Record your challenge sessions! You can do this by either double tapping the ‘share’ button to start recording and double tapping it again to end recording. This was how I was doing it until I found out that you can just play regularly and at any point you came across gameplay that just passed and want recorded, just press the share button once, then the square button once, and there you go, anything between the last time you previously pressed the ‘share’ button (or if you haven’t pressed it yet, the clip starts the moment you loaded the game) to the moment you pressed it currently will be recorded. Also, record a clip of the challenge’s demonstration so you can not only analyze frame by frame on how to do the difficult areas of the combo, but also you can compare your own clip to the demonstration’s. This will allow you to see what you are doing wrong (or right) and what changes you need to make in order to do the combo successfully. Also, you’ll be able to catch moments where something that’s not identical to the demonstration can work and you can use that as your strategy for the combo instead.

Good luck to everyone attempting this trophy! I may give my own challenge tips for certain characters at a later date.

Congrats!! Looking forward to your tips for certain characters. Would love to see more information on this game and have more people get the platinum.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

OK so if anyone could help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it because I've never been more baffled by a fighting game challenge than I am with Soso 15.  Overall this is just a moderately difficult challenge, however input 15, that is to say the air fireball after the cross up B, simply NEVER hits right.  I've gotten to this part over 30 times now, have practiced doing Hougeki -> Launch -> cross up B -> air fireball hundreds upon hundreds of times with every possible timing and spacing, and it just doesn't work properly - every time the fireball hits much later than it should and ruins the combo.   I even recorded my attempt and compared it frame my frame with the sample, and my attempt looks absolutely identical down to the height, timing, dummy positioning etc.

If this were some crazy just frame BS then I could understand and just keep trying until I got lucky, but nowhere else have I seen anyone mentioning this as troublesome; a lot of people complain about other parts of this trial, which are not too bad IMO; the guide says it's just like the part at the end of trial 14, but it absolutely isn't because that fireball I can land 90+% of the time.  I'm at the point where I'm wondering whether it is actually possible on the latest patch, or am I just missing something really obvious?

@Thedah if you could check this out and verify that it's still possible on 3.50, or that this is different from what you remembered in 1.05, I'd much appreciate it, and be more than willing to be proved wrong and that, in fact, I just suck at the game.

Edited by WakeUpHP

8 hours ago, WakeUpHP said:

OK so if anyone could help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it because I've never been more baffled by a fighting game challenge than I am with Soso 15.  Overall this is just a moderately difficult challenge, however input 15, that is to say the air fireball after the cross up B, simply NEVER hits right.  I've gotten to this part over 30 times now, have practiced doing Hougeki -> Launch -> cross up B -> air fireball hundreds upon hundreds of times with every possible timing and spacing, and it just doesn't work properly - every time the fireball hits much later than it should and ruins the combo.   I even recorded my attempt and compared it frame my frame with the sample, and my attempt looks absolutely identical down to the height, timing, dummy positioning etc.

If this were some crazy just frame BS then I could understand and just keep trying until I got lucky, but nowhere else have I seen anyone mentioning this as troublesome; a lot of people complain about other parts of this trial, which are not too bad IMO; the guide says it's just like the part at the end of trial 14, but it absolutely isn't because that fireball I can land 90+% of the time.  I'm at the point where I'm wondering whether it is actually possible on the latest patch, or am I just missing something really obvious?

@Thedah if you could check this out and verify that it's still possible on 3.50, or that this is different from what you remembered in 1.05, I'd much appreciate it, and be more than willing to be proved wrong and that, in fact, I just suck at the game.

Hey, I just tried it again on the newest version and it seems to work... I linked a video below. I didn't finish the combo cause I can't be arsed to do it again but I did get up to input 17. Is this what you're talking about or are you saying that the fireball hits but then it ruins the rest of the combo? If that's the case I don't know I really don't feel like grinding again to complete the combo lol

Edited by Thedah
  • Like 2

@Thedah

No this isn't what's happening to me, what happens to me every single time is that the fireball doesn't hit straight away, instead the dummy crosses under and the fireball hits on the other side a half second later.  Does this happen to you a lot in your failed attempts?  Or would you just expect this to work whenever you get that far?  Also are you able to get just an isolated Hougeki -> Launch -> Cross up B -> air fireball to combo correctly?  Or does this fireball only work at this very specific point in the combo?

So far I've done Kan'u 14 and 15, Sonken 14 and 15, Soso 14, which all contain elements that are supposed to be much harder than this, so I understand how strict the timing can be for some combos, but those I figured out pretty quickly, while this has me completely stumped, but I guess I'll just keep trying to figure it out.

Also, while I'm glad to see I was wrong about this and that it's still possible, am I right in saying that Divine Combo is not possible as far as we know on the latest version?  Meaning it's not possible on PS5 since you can't downgrade to 1.00 on PS5, or at least not with the digital version?  In the other thread about this, @Barney_May_Cry posts an example of a combo that works, but in the guide he comments again saying that this is no longer possible on the latest 3.50 patch.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by WakeUpHP

9 hours ago, WakeUpHP said:

@Thedah

No this isn't what's happening to me, what happens to me every single time is that the fireball doesn't hit straight away, instead the dummy crosses under and the fireball hits on the other side a half second later.  Does this happen to you a lot in your failed attempts?  Or would you just expect this to work whenever you get that far?  Also are you able to get just an isolated Hougeki -> Launch -> Cross up B -> air fireball to combo correctly?  Or does this fireball only work at this very specific point in the combo?

So far I've done Kan'u 14 and 15, Sonken 14 and 15, Soso 14, which all contain elements that are supposed to be much harder than this, so I understand how strict the timing can be for some combos, but those I figured out pretty quickly, while this has me completely stumped, but I guess I'll just keep trying to figure it out.

Also, while I'm glad to see I was wrong about this and that it's still possible, am I right in saying that Divine Combo is not possible as far as we know on the latest version?  Meaning it's not possible on PS5 since you can't downgrade to 1.00 on PS5, or at least not with the digital version?  In the other thread about this, @Barney_May_Cry posts an example of a combo that works, but in the guide he comments again saying that this is no longer possible on the latest 3.50 patch.

Thanks for the help!

I could not get it to work doing Hougeki > Launch > Cross Up B > Air Fireball to combo alone. Seems like it only works in the combo. Do you have a video of what is happening to you?

Also there's a new tool to downgrade PS4 games on the PS5 now, check it out.

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/159709-i-made-a-tool-to-easily-downgrade-ps4-games-to-any-older-version/

Edited by Thedah
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Thedah said:

I could not get it to work doing Hougeki > Launch > Cross Up B > Air Fireball to combo alone. Seems like it only works in the combo. Do you have a video of what is happening to you?

Also there's a new tool to downgrade PS4 games on the PS5 now, check it out.

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/159709-i-made-a-tool-to-easily-downgrade-ps4-games-to-any-older-version/

Ok so after all this, I went back to it and got it after 10 minutes lol, and it turned out to be no problem in the end.

I'll explain the cause of my confusion because I think I learned an important lesson that could help others: I managed to get as far as input 15 maybe 20 times, but I kept failing because I forgot to dash after the launch or didn't dash far enough or timed the input on the cross up B wrong - basically just standard errors that were my own fault.  I then decided to just practice Hougeki -> launch -> the rest of the combo, which is standard practice when doing combo trials to allow you to practice the end of the combo separately.  I also did this on previous trials and it always worked fine because launches or supers act as a kind of reset point within a trial from which you can practice the ending.  Now for some reason that I simply can't figure out, that doesn't work for this trial at all; I recorded my attempt and compared it frame by frame with the sample, and Soso and the dummy corresponded perfectly with regards height, timing etc, but the fireball never connects, and there doesn't seem to be any reason for this as far as I can tell.  Moral of the story: some stuff can't be practiced separately from the full combo, or maybe the inputs can be practiced but they won't connect properly, so don't get discouraged.  In the end, this fireball was really lenient when done in the combo - I got it on both occasions I got that far.

Thanks for the help though, you testing that it still works was enough to motivate me to go back; and that link for the downgrade is a huge relief!

Edited by WakeUpHP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WakeUpHP said:

Ok so after all this, I went back to it and got it after 10 minutes lol, and it turned out to be no problem in the end.

I'll explain the cause of my confusion because I think I learned an important lesson that could help others: I managed to get as far as input 15 maybe 20 times, but I kept failing because I forgot to dash after the launch or didn't dash far enough or timed the input on the cross up B wrong - basically just standard errors that were my own fault.  I then decided to just practice Hougeki -> launch -> the rest of the combo, which is standard practice when doing combo trials to allow you to practice the end of the combo separately.  I also did this on previous trials and it always worked fine because launches or supers act as a kind of reset point within a trial from which you can practice the ending.  Now for some reason that I simply can't figure out, that doesn't work for this trial at all; I recorded my attempt and compared it frame by frame with the sample, and Soso and the dummy corresponded perfectly with regards height, timing etc, but the fireball never connects, and there doesn't seem to be any reason for this as far as I can tell.  Moral of the story: some stuff can't be practiced separately from the full combo, or maybe the inputs can be practiced but they won't connect properly, so don't get discouraged.  In the end, this fireball was really lenient when done in the combo - I got it on both occasions I got that far.

Thanks for the help though, you testing that it still works was enough to motivate me to go back; and that link for the downgrade is a huge relief!

Awesome dude. You're well on your way to the plat! Love to see more people get it. 

• Like 1