Question about Stellaris and it's DLC

I just stumbled across this game in the PS Extra list, and I'm kinda excited to play it because it looks similar to Master or Orion(which I played a ton years ago). Anyone who played both care to comment, how similar are they? Also, the review from IGN just kept talking about how PC is better because it was ported from an old version. Judging from all the DLC, I'm guessing that's a non-issue now?

Speaking of DLC, is there any benefit to starting the game with all DLC installed...or is it fine starting the base install only(free Extra version)? It looks like trophy additions are labeled with patch numbers, and some with proper titles. I'm guessing that means some can be earned without buying DLC, and some can't? I'm guessing all 5 season passes are required for the 100% either way. Looks like the deluxe edition includes the first one, and two and three are also currently on sale. Any info would help...cheers.

43 minutes ago, ThatDrunkGuy said:

I just stumbled across this game in the PS Extra list, and I'm kinda excited to play it because it looks similar to Master or Orion(which I played a ton years ago). Anyone who played both care to comment, how similar are they?

Not too similar. Orion is more turn based, Stellaris is real time with the option to pause and give orders as to not net overwhelmed with the dozens of planets and fleets you will manage during the mid and lategame. They may follow the same principles, but Stellaris is a hell of a lot more complex and has more options, especially with the DLCs. Can't speak for the original Orion mind you, only for the newer one.

47 minutes ago, ThatDrunkGuy said:

Also, the review from IGN just kept talking about how PC is better because it was ported from an old version. Judging from all the DLC, I'm guessing that's a non-issue now?

The console version is lacking behind in DLC, usually 2-3 dlcs, other than that they are the same, the console version is what the Pc version used to be before the newest updates. DLCs come with general game updates included for non buyers as well, so after a particularly impactful update hit PC, they may differ in a few mechanics, like the empire sprawl mechanic being reworked on pc with the console version taking its sweet time to catch up. Whether that is better or worse depends on your personal taste, as Paradox Interactive has a tendency to divide its users a bit when it comes to certain design and balancing changes. There is plenty of content in the console version though, easily hundreds of hours if you want to see and do it all.

51 minutes ago, ThatDrunkGuy said:

Speaking of DLC, is there any benefit to starting the game with all DLC installed...or is it fine starting the base install only(free Extra version)? It looks like trophy additions are labeled with patch numbers, and some with proper titles. I'm guessing that means some can be earned without buying DLC, and some can't? I'm guessing all 5 season passes are required for the 100% either way. Looks like the deluxe edition includes the first one, and two and three are also currently on sale. Any info would help...cheers.

The base game works fine, having the DLCs just offers more options. More playable species, origins, ingame events, flavor, skins, entire mechanics sometimes that you to not necessarily need to play the game, but you may want anyway because it is more fun. I would recommend at least some DLC, as the game can feel a bit lacking in certain areas without at least Utopia and similar DLCs. As for the trophies, there are some you can just get without having the DLC it is attached to, and others that require the use of mechanics that are only available to you if you own the DLC. Getting 100% will require most, if not all, of the big ones.

The trophies are all rather easy to get due to the game not giving you any conditions aside from it being ironman mode, which is very forgiving if you go for a low difficulty and other favorable settings for whatever set of trophies you are after, it is only this rare because Stellaris is a devourer of free time, entire weekends can seemingly disappear without warning, and to get all trophies a considerable amount of dedication and playtime is mandatory.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ThatDrunkGuy said:

[...]Also, the review from IGN just kept talking about how PC is better because it was ported from an old version. Judging from all the DLC, I'm guessing that's a non-issue now?[...]

Stellaris is a 4X game, so yeah, PC will always be better, but the PS port is very well done IMHO, with easy to learn controls that allow you to focus on what's important. Just expect a delay between DLC releases, but as already said, most of them are already out anyway.

2 hours ago, ThatDrunkGuy said:

[...]Speaking of DLC, is there any benefit to starting the game with all DLC installed...or is it fine starting the base install only(free Extra version)? It looks like trophy additions are labeled with patch numbers, and some with proper titles. I'm guessing that means some can be earned without buying DLC, and some can't? I'm guessing all 5 season passes are required for the 100% either way. Looks like the deluxe edition includes the first one, and two and three are also currently on sale. Any info would help...cheers.[...]

That part, I would say, depends on how you like to play and go for trophies.

If you’re OK with taking your sweet time and would rather test a game that’s part of your subscription before spending more money, and can wait for an ulterior sale, then go for base game. Just expect to have to learn new mechanics if and when you go for DLC down the line.

If you’re certain that this kind of game is for you (you should find lots of gameplay on YouTube, I’m pretty sure), if you have the means atm and would rather optimise the way you earn trophies, I’d advise you take advantage of the current sale. There’s a lot of RNG involved in this game, and you’ll have to go for multiple campaigns anyway, so playing with all DLC activated will ensure that you’ll earn some of their trophies through the natural course of your different playthroughs, along with the base game ones, saving you a few restarts and reloads when going for some very specific conditions.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys, I look forward to any strategy game that can eat away a weekend lol

I think I'll start with the 'free' version. I'll know pretty quickly if I like it, and if so I'll buy the deluxe version and 2 season passes that are on sale now...wait for the others to go on sale later. 

Cheers

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 2:14 AM, KennethMcCormick said:

Stellaris is a 4X game, so yeah, PC will always be better, but the PS port is very well done IMHO, with easy to learn controls that allow you to focus on what's important. Just expect a delay between DLC releases, but as already said, most of them are already out anyway.

That part, I would say, depends on how you like to play and go for trophies.

If you’re OK with taking your sweet time and would rather test a game that’s part of your subscription before spending more money, and can wait for an ulterior sale, then go for base game. Just expect to have to learn new mechanics if and when you go for DLC down the line.

If you’re certain that this kind of game is for you (you should find lots of gameplay on YouTube, I’m pretty sure), if you have the means atm and would rather optimise the way you earn trophies, I’d advise you take advantage of the current sale. There’s a lot of RNG involved in this game, and you’ll have to go for multiple campaigns anyway, so playing with all DLC activated will ensure that you’ll earn some of their trophies through the natural course of your different playthroughs, along with the base game ones, saving you a few restarts and reloads when going for some very specific conditions.

So if I were to buy this game, would the PC version be better? Also where can i find a discount bundle?